Discussion: Would you still read a story even if the directing wasn't amazing?

Hey,

So I was wondering (I am not going to disclose as to why yet), there are some stories where directing is pretty basic I guess.

When I see in threads that people won’t read stories if the direction is basic, it makes me feel sad because the plot can be great but the story, even if great, may or may not be judged based on it’s directing.

So, here’s the big question…

I will always respect your opinion, even if I don’t agree. I hope that everyone else does too.

• If the directing is basic, I will still read the story (if the plot is good) but I would prefer better directing
  • Bad directing, bad story. I don’t care if it’s the best story in the world – I’m not reading it
  • Screw the directing, it’s the story that counts!
  • I don’t really care either way

0 voters

Also, if it's okay, I wanna know (answer in the posts if you wish)...

WHAT MAKES STORIES GOOD?

WHAT MAKES STORIES BAD?

WHAT MAKES STORIES ANNOYING?

WHAT MAKES STORIES SUSPENSEFUL?

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE MORE OF IN STORIES?

That’s all.

Thanks for reading!

:heart:,

Anna

2 Likes

WHAT MAKES STORIES GOOD? Good Plot, Amazing Cliffhangers, Character Development, Great Choices, Intriguing

WHAT MAKES STORIES BAD? Very Basic Directing, Terrible Layering, Spot Direction, Boring and Plain, Long author note intro

WHAT MAKES STORIES ANNOYING? Author arguing with the MC. Author talking, Forced Jokes, Terrible Jokes

WHAT MAKES STORIES SUSPENSEFUL? Clues, cliffhangers

creating-suspense-using-gen

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEE MORE OF IN STORIES? Advanced Directing, Tries at different plots

6 Likes

Honestly, I’ll read a story with basic directing if the plot is soooo good (so long as the directing isn’t butchered 'cause that takes away from the story-line when the characters teleport and slide) :sunny:

5 Likes

same here. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Directing is hard to get a handle of. Lost people’s first stories are going to be a little choppy while they get the hang of directing, so I tend to be a little lenient on directing with a solid plot as long as it’s not distracting and isn’t rushed. When characters start layering on top of each other in multiple scenes, flying off the screen or suddenly appear, face the wrong direction, etc. and the errors are multiple, I’m going to put the story down. If somebody doesn’t have a basic handle of directing, it’s best to slow down and work on getting the scene right because yes, we’re going to notice.
However, that doesn’t mean the directing has to be spectacular. It just needs to be decent.

2 Likes