Discussions: genres

Does anyone have a description of the different genres and how to figure out which genre a story belongs in?
I have just released a story where a modern girl might or might not be a witch. I published the 3 first chapters in the fantasy genre, but I’m afraid that people who likes fantasy will be disappointed, because the story takes place in the ordinary world.
What do you guys think?

for the description that you give right now I would put it inside the fanatsy section aswell. but can you tell me a bit more??

1 Like

Thanks Minoesje,
Well it is about a young modern woman, who lives a ordinary life, but discovers, that might have inherited some genes from her ancestors.
She’ll have to figure out if she maybe has some supernatural powers or maybe she is being psychotic and seeing things there isn’t real…
Does that make any sense to you?

That definitely sounds like a fantasy story. What’s the name of the story? I would love to read that

1 Like

Thanks OreoBiscuit (cute name by the way :wink:)

The storys name is Witch Hunt: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6133770396172288

Please let me know what you think, - and if you still think it’s fantasy :slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s an awesome thread for this, I’ll find for you.

2 Likes

Found it:

2 Likes

This is great! Thank you so much.

isn’t that just called urban fantasy? Wikipedia says
Urban fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy in which the narrative has an urban setting. Works of urban fantasy are set primarily in the real world and contain aspects of fantasy, such as the discovery of earthbound mythological creatures, coexistence or conflict between humans and paranormal beings, and other changes to city life. A contemporary setting is not strictly necessary for a work of urban fantasy: works of the genre may also take place in futuristic and historical settings, actual or imagined.”

Or perhaps a contemporary fantasy.
(Wiki says " Contemporary fantasy, also known as modern fantasy or indigenous fantasy, is a subgenre of fantasy, set in the present day or, more accurately, the time period of the maker. It is perhaps most popular for its subgenre, urban fantasy.")

so yeah, I’d definitely say go ahead and feel free to put it in the fantasy section. unless it’s more of a psychological thing and it turns out she’s not a witch after all. then I’d put it somewhere else.

1 Like

Wait, I think the Wiki article we’re looking for is “low fantasy”.

"Low fantasy or intrusion fantasy is a subgenre of fantasy fiction where magical events intrude on an otherwise normal world, i.e. real world.[1][2] It thus contrasts with high fantasy stories, which take place in a fictional world with its own set of rules and physical laws.

Intrusion fantasy places relatively less emphasis on typical elements associated with fantasy, setting a narrative in realistic environments with elements of the fantastical. Sometimes there are just enough fantastical elements to make ambiguous the boundary between what is real and what is purely psychological or supernatural. The word “low” refers to the level of prominence of traditional fantasy elements within the work, and is not any sort of remark on the work’s quality."

well, I’d say put it in the fantasy genre.

1 Like

Thank you so much Vidi, that is really helpful.

1 Like