Disrespect in the Art Community

I am sick and tired of seeing people cry about artists not accepting requests or denying people.

I myself have experienced disrespect from people in the community.

I just wanted to let you guys know that we’re humans too. We have agendas. We have lives. And we’re not just magical machines that give you art pieces a week later.

It’s OUR TIME and OUR LIVES, we have every right to deny people’s requests or close our commissions/requests.

I have 13 year olds in my messages asking me to make them art scenes for a poorly written episode story that makes English teachers Howl. I’m not going to spends weeks making you an art scene for you to simply slap on your cover to get reads. I want to work with someone who puts just as much effort into their work as I do mine.

I’ve been cussed at and insulted for rejecting requests. Other people in the episode community is calling us entitlted and spoiled for not doing requests.

That’s so stupid. Put yourself in our shoes for once. Sit there hours on end drawing something amazing. You’d want your pride and joy to be used correctly, wouldn’t you? You worked so hard on it.

Some requests never fall through. It’s like you make art and they either don’t use it or it falls into the depths of the void. Hours of work.

Just please treat artists with kindness and understand their situation.
We don’t owe anybody anything.

60 Likes

This goes for digital artists, editors, helpers etc.
We all take time out of our day to create art.
Treat us with respect.

12 Likes

:raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

6 Likes

So true, I’m no an artist and will never be one, and I agree with you. :heart:

9 Likes

I agree with what you’re saying but all jokes aside that bit that you wrote made me laugh so much lmaoooo hahaha

20 Likes

:clap:t3::clap:t3:

When I was doing requests, I once encountered a girl on IG basically demanding and dictating what I must do to make her edit :roll_eyes:
To make it more insulting she thought the best way of putting her demands across was to send each detail via a separate message. So I ended up with about 20 messages with each sentence starting with I want it like this… No please. No thank you, nothing.
Obviously I then chose not to respond, had I known that was the way she thought was best to speak to me I would have never accepted it in the first place.

She was the start of many others which then led to me deciding I was no longer going to do requests.

14 Likes

14 Likes

This is so accurate like I hate it when requesters can’t be patient. I have my own life and making covers and edits is not my job and I don’t get paid for it. I’m sick of requesters being impatient and not understanding that we have personal lives and all our time revolves around there certain edit. Like just be patient and wait. It just gets me really annoyed and I don’t wanna explain my whole life story to them about y I can’t do their edit at that precise moment. I HAVE A LIFE ASWELL AND THERES ONLY SO MUCH TIME I HAVE . I respect this thread so much and honestly totally agree with you :revolving_hearts: This was an issue that needed to be brung up :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

Well I am no artist but I write and I have seen many arts… and I appreciate everything one of you who put so much effort on their work… we do to… I know some ppl who don’t work so much on their work but demands high from others and having such requests must be exhausting and but I can understand. I respect every one of you… who put so much effort… not only artist but every one who put so much effort. When ever I see your work I am like I wish I could do it too… thank you for your efforts guys… to all the artists out there…

2 Likes

I agree.

2 Likes

I may not be an artist, but I completely agree with you! :two_hearts: The members of the art community should get more respect and praise for what they’re doing! I wish all the best for the art community :blush::heart:.

2 Likes

Hello @ZADDY! This is Sydney the Moderator.

This topic has been moved from Community into Episode Fan Community as it is an Episode-related topic. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics. :wink:

Thanks for reading and have a good day :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that a lot of you have had such a negative experience in this community.

Unfortunately, those people are always going to exist. Even if you try to explain to them how busy your schedule is or your reasoning for not doing something, some people don’t register it and could care less as long as you give them what they want. If anything, they’re the ones acting entitled. After all, the artists are helping them improve their stories and often do it free of charge.

I’m tired of the disrespect, and how ungrateful and demanding some people here can be. It makes me regret sharing my work in the first place and uninterested in helping out the community.

I don’t even understand how this issue has gotten out of hand recently. But some of these requesters really ought to think about the affect their nasty behavior has on others.

15 Likes

This thread makes me so sad. Artists, you deserve better. :sweat::pensive: Some people can be such brats.

3 Likes

To be honest, most of the time when people ask me to make them art for them/their stories out of the blue, I just say I’d be happy to and then list my commission prices.

They usually don’t reply after that, lol.

6 Likes

I know this is a super late reply but I definitely know what you mean. I’m not going to sit around all day making a request for you if your going to drag it and tell me it’s bad. It’s quite rude and disrespectful to the people who spend there time making it. I apologize but it’s completely unfair! We have a life and if someone is going to disregard our willingness to help random strangers for free…

3 Likes

Late reply here too! But I feel like typing today (:

Isn’t that entitled and spoiled of them to say? :laughing: I can’t believe those people lack so much self-awareness.

I’d argue a bit with this if you were getting paid. Sure, every artist wants their art to be used in the best way, but sometimes you just gotta make ends meet. And if somebody’s already paying you, you don’t get much of a say in what you want them to do with your work. It’s theirs to use as long as they respect your contract, despite how attached you might be to that art piece. But you’re absolutely right, since you’re (precisely) doing this for free and taking your own time and energy to make art for the community, it’s you and you only who decides which requests you take. As you said, none of you owe anyone anything (aside from respect, just like everyone, including the people who get their requests refused). I think the people who get mad at artists for not taking their request just take that refusal very personally.

To them I say: It’s nothing personal, really. These artists are taking time, energy, and sometimes resources to make something that’ll make the community happy and enhance the Episode platform. All of that for free. Just as free as they are to accept or refuse any requests and you must keep that in mind when you’re asking for something. You’re asking for somebody’s time, for free. That’s not something you can ever demand. Ask for it respectfully and if your request is kindly refused, kindly move on and/or repeat with someone else.

3 Likes

Bump

1 Like

Omg I know I am late to reply but I love you so much

3 Likes