Disscussion: Have you or would you have a friend or family member read you story?

I wouldn’t mind having any of my friends or family read my stories, but only because they’re cool and appreciate the amount of effort it takes for me to create them.

I usually have my mom test them out, and because she’s… well, a mom, there is certain content and innuendo that I don’t want her to see. So those parts I leave for my friends. :joy:

2 Likes

Well I have to watch out with what I say with you @Raitlyn cause I don’t need to explain some things to you yet.

2 Likes

But back to the main point I wouldn’t mainly because that’s like my mind and my escape and I feel if they know I wouldn’t enjoy it as much.

1 Like

Hi! I’m Maris and here’s my take on this. Yes, I have had my brother read my story (until they got too steamy because he’s only 12 lol) My friend will read it too when it becomes more developed. They have both read it or will read it before I publish it.
(I have 6 episodes of my story don and I haven’t had anyone in the community read it yet so if anyone wants to have the honors of being first., give me a shout. I want very honest feedback on my dialogue, directing, characters and narration"

1 Like

Lmao my siblings do that too when i get them to read :sob:

1 Like

That’s funny, your dad sounds awesome. Whenever I’m finished with a chapter, my sister will come in and do a memed read-through of it. She gives the characters unique, silly voices and she’ll make jokes at the characters’ expense. It’s funny and she also helps me catch plot/character inconsistencies, grammar issues, and other issues. She’s the only person in my life I would have read my story, though.

I have vented to my mom about coding and storywriting before. I didn’t give her any details, just went on a rant about how frustrating specifically the coding part can be sometimes.

1 Like

My brother actually helps me write my story, actually. He makes sure i steer clear of info dump and to keep every piece of dialogue equally important. My mother has also read my story and really enjoyed it. But i don’t speak with my dad so 🧍🏻

anyway, i’ve had quite a few friends read my story as well, and they’ve been super helpful. idk, the people around me don’t meme on my for it or insult my characters… but maybe it’s because each character i have is based on them :skull:

1 Like

I always read my stories to my mom, and she loves them! Now, I’m a grown adult who gets along very well with my mom; however, I don’t write sex scenes. The only “sex scene” I had was in Miss Understood, when the MC is narrating how she felt nothing after having sex with her boyfriend. But it just showed them lying in bed after it happened, so it was nothing cringy. As for cussing, it’s rare that I have a character cuss, but when I do, I write something like, “What the &%$&% is wrong with you??” Or, “I got detention for writing the word s&%/ in my essay.”
My mom loves my stories, and now that she lives far away, I read them to her over videocalls.

1 Like

I’d love to share my stories with friends and family! I always write short stories for my friends and when I was younger, I always wrote and/or drew stories, which my family loved. I don’t think it would be a surprise for them.

However, I’m just scared of judgement. I always put some personal things in my stories, like some jokes or my interests in music and TV shows, and I don’t know if they’ll appreciate it.
I actually asked a couple days ago to one of my friends that reads Episode too sometimes if she would be interested in reading my story. It was late and she was calling her boyfriend, so she just gave a short, abrupt “yes” answer which made me regret it. I haven’t come up with it again, although I know she’s supportive and will not judge me.
My second friend finds Episode stupid and she doesn’t really read my stories anymore when I ask in the groupchat :roll_eyes:, so no chance.
My third friend is supportive and I think she would have given it a chance, even if she doesn’t read Episode.
I think my mom will enjoy it, because she has always loved my stories and other creative work.

2 Likes

My sister has been on episode and she knows how some stories can get so I would rather not mention anything to her. To my dad I can tell everything and I showed him some parts of my story and he was kinda amazed. And my mum well…she knows I write stories on my laptop and I think I showed her something too and I would like to show them chapters like this but I would never, ever, ever let them go on the app.

2 Likes

My dad has no interest in any Episode stories. He prefers to read real books lol.