DISUSSION: Romance stories?

What do you guys like to see in a romance story in general? What makes it more appealing to you? What are some things that makes it unappealing ? Also what are some character traits you hate?

4 Likes

Bad boys. Mafias, cigarettes used to define a personality for “bad boys”, people categorised as nerd or popular because they wear glasses or are blond (?), the supposed villain who drugs the oh-so-innocent MC and the amazing love interest who comes to save them (wow, how original), romanticing violance as cool. I hate the fact that people use mafias and gangs as “personalities”, like???
The only thing I request from people who are writing romance is to actually research and implement, it’s not that hard! Please make realistic characters people. :pray:

8 Likes

Are you a mind reader…? I agree 1000000000% with you :))

4 Likes

Haha, maybe :eyes:

4 Likes

hey girl! I like seeing a romance bloom slowly, not a love at first sight and they end up sleeping together within a matter of days. Unappealing things to me are: bad boys with innocent girl, mafias, characters with absolutely no personality and the MC that’s either too perfect for cries in every other scene. Idk if any of you have seen this overly used situation, but when the girl is in the dark alleyway and some weirdo hits on them and then the LI swoops in to save the day…idk it’s just wayyyy too cliche for me. For character traits that I hate, it’s definitely perfection, cries wayyyy too easily and disrespectful. I hope this helps!!

6 Likes

The whole love at first sight and hopping in bed after just 2 encounters with the LI is such a turn off.

6 Likes

True that!

3 Likes

I like romance when it’s well written and it’s not like there just automatically together and in love it has to build a bond and lead up to it.

3 Likes

forming romance from a friendship foundation >>>> love at first sight

3 Likes

IKR I’m like nopeeeee ima go find something else to read-

1 Like

Personally, I like it when the author holds off of any romance for a while and then, VERY SLOWLY, let’s the characters develop feelings for each other, but at different times (idk I’m weird).

What I dislike so much is when the LI is always the MC’S “knight in shining armor.” Like, I don’t need no man to come save me, I know how to freaking box!

4 Likes

I need more slowburns. Like 40 chapters slowburn

5 Likes

I personally prefer stories that are light, adorable romance, not neccessarily high school-ish but the cover has an aesthetic summer-y theme, cute description without words like THIRSTY and HOT in it. And childhood best friends are probably my fave LI.

3 Likes

Can’t agree more.

Oof fluff!

oh my god! i can’t agree more! do you have any suggestions istg i can’t find anymore :sob:

I actually have no problem with most things and characters in a story, like mafia and bad boys, if it’s written well. what I hate is when the author uses the “I changed for her” trope, or when the relationship is just Stockholm syndrome. i see a lot of stories where the LI will scare the MC and do some awful stuff that shouldn’t be forgiven and it’s just laid off like they’re soulmates and the abuse just didn’t matter. id much rather see the LI knowing full well the character’s nature and their romance developing regardless, if both characters are morally lacking then it makes sense, absolutely hate when the relationship just makes zero sense. I love romance but it’s so common to see it written where the love interest saves the mc, or kidnaps her, or something that just puts me off instantly.

Slow burn and idk something in the romance that isn’t just about romance. Like just a good plot overall. I like slow burn with characters who generally work well together, have good communication and the romance plot isn’t centered around constant misunderstandings. I also kind of like some conflict in the beginning, but not hate to love. I think rivals to lovers can sometimes be good if it’s about two people with misunderstandings of each other (ik this goes against what I said before but I’ll explain). I don’t like when you have romance plots that constantly involve misunderstandings and miscommunication to keep the plot going. Like the MC seeing the LI talk to another girl, or another girl kisses LI. Or there’s something in the MC’s past. I like stories that they might have a little bit of annoyance to each other simply because they don’t know each other well, but as their relationship progresses they find out more about each other and realize their assumptions weren’t true. But it’s not like they hate each other tho. Like there’s a movie I really liked called the Sound of Music and I love how the LI (can never remember names lol) and Maria are kinda irritated with each other at the beginning but slowly fall in love. It’s great. They have conflict at the beginning because the LI is a controlling, strict father and Maria is the nanny who is carefree and loving, and she hates strictness. But as he loosens up and she loses some of her own carelessness, they overcome their flaws and fall in love. I love that and how they make each other better.

You forgot to mention how they always have a scar on their face :upside_down_face: