Diversity & minorities in stories, without offending...?

Never create a character with the sole aim of making them a minority. Lead with kickass characters and then think about what makes them unique once you’ve thought of their purpose in the story.

14 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since Community is for discussion of specific stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

2 Likes

I’d have to agree with @ShanniiWrites. Diversity should come natural, you should never want to make a character solely based on their struggles of being a minority in America. Just give them a personality, just as you’d do with any other straight-white character. When it comes down to people of different races & sexualities, I don’t think it’s something you necessarily have to research on. We’re human just like everyone else, and even if we do struggle more than others that doesn’t make us all the same. Religion & culture, for sure!

9 Likes

Also, don’t be afraid of offending a few people. It’s doesn’t matter what you do! Someone will be offended (see my FAQ on diversity). Focus more on who you don’t want to offend or you’ll end up doing nothing :joy:

9 Likes

You and @Zelda04 already said what was needed. :joy: No need for me to be here.

2 Likes

It’s always nice to hear from multiple different people! Add your two-cents girl :laughing:

3 Likes

Thank you for that! My character has a big personality and there’s way more to her than just her religion, I just thought it’d be a nice add-on to include what her life is like at home vs. at school, how/if her beliefs affect her social life, things like that :slight_smile: Thank you everyone who has replied so far!!

4 Likes

I mean, you said what I wanted to say. :sweat_smile: I’m good over here.

2 Likes

Islam is the Muslim religion. Theres no need to add that part. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

I would say don’t do this. This is a thing a lot of people do with Muslim characters and it’s becoming an annoying cliche used with us. Same with the “strict Muslim family.” It’d be nice to make her family strict but don’t make it seem like their enforcing so hard on the religion. That’s also an overused cliche.

2 Likes

also remember: there’s a huge difference between diversity and tokenism.

5 Likes

Yeah xD a follower of Islam is called a Muslim

2 Likes

And honestly the whole “Muslims/Muslim parents being strict” thing is so stupid. That goes with any religion. I’m tired of the strict Christain/Catholic, Sikh, etc. Although some are, for the others it’s just discipline. Nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

oops, sorry! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If you need more help on Muslim characters, I have a thread for it:

Ask the questions and information you want to know.

3 Likes

Tbh it’s more of a southeast Asian thing than a Muslim thing. Hindu and Sikh parents are typically quite strict, too.

Honour and stuff

2 Likes

:new_moon_with_face:

Always remember not to stereotype; don’t think about any stereotypes you’ve heard about people of a different race, culture, religion, sexuality and etc. Research is key for writing a diverse story! You don’t want to sound bias in your writing that ending offending a group of people.

3 Likes

Also, when trying to portray different groups of people, try not to showcase them in a negative way because you’ll come off as being offensive and hurtful. There is good in every group of people :innocent:

3 Likes