Do people really judge the book by its cover?

Hello!
I’m new to the forum, so I apologize beforehand if this was submitted to the wrong category (I couldn’t find an already existing topic about this to reply to). :cold_sweat:

Just finished writing my first episode for a story and realized that I didn’t have any cover art. Which made me question if it really is that important. Personally I never check the cover when reading a story, but I’d love to hear other’s opinions about this :smile:

So what do you think? How important is the cover to YOU when choosing a story to read?

1 Like

If it has a good cover but the description is trashy or some weird or cliche I won’t read. I’ve also seen really inappropriate covers but a cover can attract me to a story.

1 Like

The cover isnt important to me, I just would just choose the story that I find it interesting and gets my attention. I guess,

2 Likes

The cover doesn’t really matter to me, it’s what the story is about and the description.

1 Like

Sometimes for me because it tells me how the characters look and the description really matters to me because sometimes it will be a book about magical creatures and the description won’t tell you but you find out by the cover

2 Likes

usually, it is the cover there makes me look at the story, but if the discreption dont catch i don’t care about how good a cover it is I dont read it,

i think you should have a cover, it could just be one with a cut of characters and the title, i could make one for you in a couple of minutes

1 Like

personally, as someone who is familiar with graphic design and is an aesthete, i pay attention to the cover. actually, that isn’t a yes or no question - cover along with the title is the first thing your potential reader sees. if you can pull it off and draw attention with or without it, then great! but for me it’s rather obvious that pretty cover can attract more readers(:

3 Likes

The cover doesn’t matter, I go by genre and by reads.

For new authors, there first story is always not going to be perfect, but they try.

For popular authors, they think there story deserves to be read, and that annoys me.

Stories with a good description and a good story layout, those are the stories worth reading.

Not a story that has 100m reads, but one that has been written with love.

1 Like

The first impression is sometimes the last impression. A poorely drawn or no cover would distract many episode readers from your story.That’s also going to affect ur story reads in a way, no matter how much good your directing or plot is unless you work toooo much hard on advertising it. I’d suggest don’t waste too much time on advertising instead request a cover for your story from some good free/commisioned cover artist before publishing the story if you want many people to look forward to it.You’ll find many on here plus on instagram. I myself click on the story who’s title and cover attracts me because before clicking, the description is hidden from the readers.

3 Likes

off topic, you actually have to make 3 chapters before you can publishe a story

1 Like

100% agree!

1 Like

I actually didn’t know this haha, that explains why I couldn’t find a publish option :joy:

2 Likes

Honestly, also the first episode is crucial. You want long-term readers, not ones who click off because the intro and directing is basic

1 Like

full CC is also a plus, readers are attracted to any form of CC, I’m particularly attracted to full.

I personally judge as story and decide if I want to read it depending on the title and description, also if the first chapter is really boring or the first episode is only customization I probably won’t keep reading.

1 Like

I don’t judge a book by its cover, but it’s still pretty important to have something at least. Even a screenshot of a scene from your story will do :slightly_smiling_face:

I think that a well put together cover gives an indication that the writer had put effort into there story. I don’t necessarily ‘judge the book by it’s cover’ but the name and cover are the only two things that grab the readers attention when seeing your story on the shelf, it’s the first impression.

I’d recommend that you make sure that you have some type of cover up

1 Like