Do think that White People should use these words?

Yes, this is the million-dollar question.

2 Likes
Me right now

8798927b092b7e82c550554ebb515014

9 Likes

Am I confusing you lol should I change the title and description???

2 Likes

lol kind of, do you mean “Do you agree that non POC shouldn’t use these words?” (the title) :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Ooops :woman_facepalming:t5: I MEANT SHOULD OMG BYEE IM STUPID!! ATP idek

1 Like

I edited it a little bit, is that better :grimacing::grimacing::triumph::triumph:

1 Like

Yeah, it’s better now. :joy:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for the confusion :triumph: it’s like 3am and I get a little stupid at this time :joy::sweat:

1 Like

It’s okay, I feel you, I get brain lag when it’s midnight too. :pensive:

2 Likes

Now if it was something offensive I’d say no they should not. But words like Sis and so on, that is just plain ignorance on anyone’s part. There is this thing called freedom of speech.

Now if you are white and use said freedom of speech to insult a person of color, you probably gonna have a come to Jesus moment real fast. Like you rightfully should.

11 Likes

I’m very confused as to when words like “sis” and period have become socially unacceptable for non-poc people to use?
I just thought sis was abbreviated from sister
And that period was derived from a full stop?

Am I wrong with this?

5 Likes

To be fair, I always thought the term sis should be exclusive. I have my reasons for thinking that. However, as the days went by I realized how common and loosely white people in the community were using it, and after a while I got over it. But, I do still feel that on some level, they shouldn’t be saying it especially those who like belittle us by using certains terms and words.

As for the other terms, I don’t care too much about. The term period has been around for decades, I’m not sure how the word came about to the extent it’s being used now, but I think anyone can use the word.

7 Likes

okay, hold on I often think people are to sensitive, but this is like new levels. like come on, how is this in anyway insultig, I dont get it.

5 Likes

wait… isnt slang and aave different things? Slang refers to informal language between young people, that suggests the language is of lower standard while AAVE is a whole English dialect with its own structure and grammar, right?

1 Like

Mf is a way of saying motherfucker right? But just shortened? What’s wrong w saying that lol

4 Likes

I think people can speak however they like as long as they’re not offending anyone. I mean, I don’t see how sis could be used to insult someone, so imo, anyone could use it…
I understand how maybe some people could interpret it as culture appropriation, but at this point a lot of people say it. Also, borrowing stuff from another language/slang is pretty usual in all languages, especially with globalization.
But I mean, I personally don’t speak aave so my opinion shoudn’t really count I guess :))

8 Likes

Sis? :scream: I used to have part time job in a fashion store/company and they use “Sis” to call our woman customer to make a friendly experience while talking to the customer service :thinking:

4 Likes

Oh really I didnt know that :thinking: I’m not sure if the person in the screenshot meant to say slang instead of aave :woman_shrugging:t5:

2 Likes

Period with a t "periodt ":rofl: it’s used it hype people up…

Exactly :woman_facepalming:t5: