Do USA teens really act like the characters of the stories?

First of all, welcome to the community! :grin:

I’m Canadian, but we’re basically a frigid growth on America’s back, so there are a lot of cultural similarities.

Do USA teens really act like the characters of the stories?

Short answer is no, long answer is that that stereotype doesn’t come out of nowhere.

Hollywood and drama has kind of become a parody of itself, imo. A lot of these stories (like on Episode) are all based off of cliches of each other, so it becomes like a game of Telephone, where the end product is a warped version of the source material.

And Ray above me definitely has a point; America is probably among the top 20 countries in the world when it comes to general comfort, safety, and wealth of the general population. This causes them to have fewer problems, and their biggest problem is likely something that their counterpart from, say, Yemen, would find trivial. I don’t think American teens are necessarily more comfortable than their counterparts in Australia, Canada, or the UK, etcetera. The reason that people around the world tend to equate “American teens” with “Western teens” is likely because America has more people than Canada, Australia, the UK, France, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, and Iceland combined. America’s cultural impact is therefore proportional to its population. They make more movies, write more books, make more Episode stories than, again, all of those countries I just mentioned, so their culture tends to drown out the media made from smaller wealthy countries.

I could type at length about America’s cultural impact, their awareness of their own cultural impact, and how that awareness feeds back into an isolationist, near-nationalistic view of themselves, but not only am I some weirdo with an emoji profile pic who doesn’t have an anthropology degree, but that’s not even the topic of this discussion, so I’ll continue.

I graduated high school in 2013, coming out of there with no friends, so I can’t claim to say that even the information about my own school is correct, because I was so far out of the social loop. But I did observe a few superficial social dynamics.

Before I address the specific questions, I’ll say that the idea of “popularity” and “cliques” existed, but not in the movie kind of sense. There were groups, but many groups were harder to classify, and most were relatively cool with each other. In the lunch room, you’d see patterns, people generally sitting at the same table with the same friends, but the kids with good social skills would talk to each other if their close friends weren’t available. The lines between cliques were blurrier than in the movies. The oddball kids, the ‘geeks’ so to speak, were generally a little more cliquey than the kids with better social skills (ie. the ‘popular’ kids), because the ‘popular’ kids would talk to whoever made good conversation when they were bored.

And maybe it’s a millennial thing, but especially in grade 11-12 (ie. the last two grades of high school before graduation), it definitely wasn’t ‘uncool’ to be thinking of your future and university opportunities. There were plenty of ‘popular’ kids who were concerned about their marks in math and getting enough extracurriculars to be considered for their choice universities.

Definitely not. Next question. :joy:

Kind of? Generally, the sporty guys fell into the ‘good social skills’ category as mentioned, so they were good to chat with anyone.

There was definitely one clique of geeks (or possibly two. I was part of one of them briefly. I never joined the other because it had this girl who hated me.) They weren’t bullied relentlessly or anything, but often didn’t fit into the ‘good social skills’ category. Many of them would rather read or play on their phone rather than chat with their classmates during breaks anyway. I feel like for the most part, the ‘good social skills’ category were too busy with their own lives to bully that much. Some people occasionally, briefly, made fun of the quirkier members of the geek group, but it was more of jokes rather than incessant harassment.

I definitely wouldn’t say that I wasn’t bullied in high school, but it was less than middle school, and a lot less than a character like me would be bullied in a cliche Episode story. Silent girl with frizzy brown hair, glasses, acne, and weird scars on her two front teeth who barely talks to anyone and can’t make eye contact? Classic target for stereotypical bullies. But 90% of the bullying that I faced was some odd “proxy bullying,” because there was another girl with glasses, acne, and frizzy brown hair who acted like a weirdo, and people associated me with her. (We occasionally frequented similar circles, but we were never actually friends). Besides that, I was content to fade into the background, and people were content to let me.

Relationships like dating? I paid even less attention to that lol. Especially in the later grades of high school, I feel like no one really made a big deal of who was dating who. There were probably the occasional tough breakups and such, but I don’t think it made much of a splash in any sort of “gossip mill.” Then again, the only times I heard gossip was when I was eavesdropping lmao.

If you have any further questions, I’d be happy to answer them at length haha. :+1:

1 Like

It varies between school to school. I’ve only gone to private schools and there there isn’t really a popular system. There are kind of popular people but they’re popular because they’re really nice. There aren’t really designated popular people, there are people that just get along with everyone and everyone tends to like them. I’ve never really been to a school that has had a popular system before lol. Maybe there are with public schools? But I’ve never been to one to know. Public schools are usually huge, so I don’t think there would be- it’s just really big and you don’t end up knowing everybody.
But it’s not like the movies, the popular people usually aren’t mean. They’re popular for a reason lol. But I don’t know a lot about those schools that do have those popular groups though…

1 Like

Dude, High school is boring! It’s nothing the what happens in episode!

1 Like

Nah I just listen to music and draw and shit so not really lol they make it look like we are but no lol

And no jocks don’t date cheerleaders cause they are annoying lol

1 Like

That’s why next year I’m going to ask the state government for me to be a foreign exchange student for about three months

1 Like

Lol, School, sucks in the USA!

4 Likes

Do you have queens and kings of the High School?
Not really
We had popular kids that sometimes act like they knew everything but it mean not really kings and queens

Are sporty guys really SO popular? our football basketball and baseball guys where I live by the popular guys like they are the ones that all the girls wanted to let you know we’re at the top of the list

Do you really have some ‘caste’ of nerd guys and no one support or like them?
We had Outcast but it was more people like me who is socially awkward or that is in two guys and girls like me you know I was more pushes a people that want to deal with me or be my friend then it was Outcast nerds

How do you make relationships in the school?
For me it was joining clubs at school.
Art club and band helped me a lot.

1 Like

It’s a fine line between your nerds and ours. In my Senior School, some not-nerds people got better marks then us. It’s the question of diligence. ‘Nerds’ like me were free creators, who didn’t like our school system. We didn’t strove for the coolest universities, we just liked to study. In my country it means we didn’t cram answers to exams, we just did what we want. As a conclusion, we all didn’t go to the coolest universities of our country, doesn’t matter, did we cram or not :smiley:

1 Like

The only way I can learn everyday English is speaking with other people in English so I saw somebody used ‘uni’ and I realized I can use it too. I don’t know maybe she was Asian. Technically, I’m Asian, too, I live in Asia, but I’m from Russia. (it’s a bit awkward to say it, I know, many western people don’t like us :sweat:)

Yeah it totally explains!

Many people here wrote that sporty guys are popular. I think it’s the difference because I even don’t know which one of my classmates did sports. We had never discussed games or who is a winner of this season or who is a good/bad player. We had been totally uninterested.
Thank you for answering!

Wow! It’s a very interesting point of view!
You’re right. I know a girl who had to drive at her school on the snowmobile like 5 months in a row (we haven’t got school buses in our country, also if we have, bus’d never passes through the snow). There are no High School in my niece’s village so she moved to the city when she was sixteen. Luckily, her parents has a flat here.
When I was a teen, we DREAMED of school lockers. Every day we had 6-7 classes so we should dragged 6-7 books plus notebooks plus a lunchbox plus a full sporty outfit if we had PE.
Now I became a bit smarter. I understand that every person has her/his own problems and you should respect it… but your words sounds so familiar!

1 Like

I think you’re a very interesting person. I’d be happy to know your thoughts about ‘America’s cultural impact’ and other things so (if you want to) we should discuss it in DM (I’m not sure we can do it here because it’s not the main topic).
About anthropology degree: the main thing I’ve learnt there is to be open-minded. Of course we talked a lot about science method, about researches and proofs, but now I don’t do some polling/social call I just want to know better people from western culture.

1 Like

I think school do it everywhere :smiley:

It’s totally the thing you have better than me: school clubs. We had no art club or band when I was a teen, but I’d try it!

1 Like

Ya, but in the USA children are raised differently I believe because people are different in the UK

Thank you. I’m glad you liked it… I edited it to add to my explanation a gazillion times (hoping it wouldn’t get misunderstood or taken the wrong way! ha!) Now I can go eat that cookie… I feel like I earned it after that…lol. Stay blessed!

Nope lol but there are popular people in my school.

Well yeah, I guess but they aren’t like those mean typical jocks.

No lmao that would be messed up and rude.

Idk I find someone who has similar personalities that I have.

1 Like

Honestly some teens can be like that but the stereotype with the mean girls and bullies are kinda fake. People don’t are for that kinda stuff and how ur a nerd.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.