Do we get paid extra for including gem choices in our stories?

I’ve tried submitting a ticket but I’m not getting a response. I know that gem choices help unlock Writer Payments faster but do we actually get paid extra for including them after unlocking payments? I read somewhere that it’s 25% extra but that was last year so I don’t know if that’s still the case.

2 Likes

I believe it is, as long as you have one gem choice in each of the first 10 episodes :thinking:

5 Likes

cool, thanks for letting me know!

3 Likes

Gem choices help unlock payments…

So like
instead of I think if I remember correctly 500,000 reads in the short timespan required…

it would be 250,000 reads with gem choices.

I don’t remember hearing about authors getting any money from them for just being tapped but they might…

@JosephEvans
@Dara.Amarie
@wincyyellow
@Apes
@writerren

might be able to answer though.

3 Likes

Yep @amberose is correct. 25% bonus for that story and you need to have a gem choice in each of the first 10 episodes.
They were thinking about changing this (and not keeping it as a flat rate), but that was over a year ago :woman_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

Payment program authors do which is what the OP was asking.

3 Likes

is it just when somebody actually clicks on the gem choice or for gem chapter reads in general?

1 Like

Gem chapter reads :slight_smile: (at the moment anyway)
So whatever you earn on that story, you get an extra 25% whether or not people choose the gem option.

2 Likes

cool, that’s all I needed to know! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since Community is for discussion of specific stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

2 Likes

Suddenly I understand why some authors stopped including gem choices to gain points the later on in the story… why just the first 10, though? Wouldn’t episode want us to include gem choices in all of the episodes? So confused lol.

2 Likes

Best not to question Episode’s decisions :rofl:
However, something I’m not 100% sure on is if we get paid for chapters that don’t have gem choices in them, after the first 10. Seems like a lot of extra work to figure out the calculation, although maybe it’s easily done?
(It’s never been an issue for me since my two stories with gems are short lol)

3 Likes

Yeah fair, I guess I was just curious if writers in the payment program still get paid the same rate in say the 11th chapter as they would in 1-10, even though they don’t have a gem choice in there. Or if they’re trying to discourage stories with more than 10 chapters or something. Idk, maybe this is just me blabbering, but maybe they want us to make shorter stories, since that’s their style lol.

1 Like

Oh actually… I have one story which doesn’t have a gem choice in episode 6 (it was in the original beta so it wasn’t needed)… lemme check (of course, the fact that gem choice payments are still calculated shows that there’s a glitch :rofl: but the story is archived and the gem choice payment is literally like 4 cents so…)

Well, it seems I got the bonus on the total amount :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Interesting…

1 Like

Mine could just be a glitch (possibly because of being in the old beta?) since I technically shouldn’t qualify for a bonus with no gem choice in episode 6 :see_no_evil:
But I haven’t bothered saying anything because it’s literally a few cents :joy:

2 Likes

They probably don’t care either to look into it, because time is money and it would probably cost them more money to try and stop that payment than to let you keep the change :joy:

2 Likes