Do you consider Episodes to be Video Games or Books?

Are Episodes more like Video Games or Books for you guys? I personally was attracted to the form because I was really interested in branching stories. Some Episode stories (like Kiss List/ Community stories with the Point system) have experimented with the game features of Episode; that said, most stories are written more like novels. There’s a branch of games called Visual Novels which Episodes are quite similar to, but people also debate whether those are ‘real’ video games.

What do you guys think? Are Episodes more like games, or books? Do you prefer stories that take on video game elements, or do you like it more when the story plays out like a novel?

5 Likes

Kinda both I guess, it’s a book with all that dialogue but it’s like an interactive video game as well. I mean, a cool episode story kinda reminds me of Dragon Age, which also had interactive story telling component to it and customization, but it had fighting as well, which I haven’t seen in many Episode stories.

So yeah…for me, it’s both, more so on the book side because in a video game, I tend to have to use the A or B or X or Y button more than I select a choice, more pressure if it’s timed though :laughing:

5 Likes

True, there’s a lot of interactive games that are just text, and lots of video games have strong writing nowadays. It’s interesting to me since people generally talk about the writing/directing/etc. of Episodes but less about the interactivity part, but it is a big part of the experience. :thinking: You’re right that Episode still doesn’t have the fighting mechanics that most video games do, lol :joy:

Agree, the interactive part is a cool experience, we should totally have a video game app :sunglasses:

Slightly off topic but I checked out your IG and one of your characters-Andy has the same name, he likes the color Green and he’s a Taurus (that’s where the line draws and similarities end) as the Andy that’s in my comics/books that I’m working on in my free time so I found that cool :green_heart: :laughing:

1 Like

I’d say both. Like a video book :laughing:

2 Likes

LMAO no way!! Seems like he’s story hopping lmao :laughing: What’s your comic called? I’d love to read it :smiley:

It’s not out :see_no_evil: As soon as my artistic skills improve, I can do something amazing but at least I’ve got the dialogue down, it’s about superheroes :+1: OK, I’ll end here as I may go off topic :sweat:

1 Like

To be honest, I consider Episode as creative reading and story writing app. I can see why it can be considered a game because of the point system and etc. It doesn’t matter if a story takes on video game elements in my opinion because I’ll still read it haha.

1 Like

True, some of my favorite Episodes don’t have any game elements xD I guess it depends from story to story :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah, I mean it technically counts as a game, but I don’t consider it to be one.

1 Like

I always thought of them as very similar to comic books, you know, pictures with text. I see them as a very advanced version of graphic novels. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to think that comics may take a similar format to episode stories in the distant future, since episode includes actions and sound effects.

1 Like

Hybrid

1 Like

I consider Episode more of a game, but I can see why people can consider them “books.”

1 Like

I think it depends on the story. If there are little choices that don’t matter, I’ll think it’s more like a book, but if a story has amazing directing and mini games/tappable overlays I think it’s more like a video game.

1 Like

More a book than a video game but it depends on the story.

1 Like

Definitely a game. If anything, I could compare it to films or TV series, but personally, I could never deem Episode stories as books.

You do not make choices while reading a book, do you? The story books tell are set in stone. You do not have control over them.

Besides, I love Episode with all my being, but calling Episode stories books is… well, books are the best of the best. No Episode story makes me feel the way I feel when reading a really good book. Scorned by Amber J. is the only exception… but then again, I felt more as if I had been watching the best TV series of all time, not a book.

2 Likes