Do you guys like being able to name the MC

Hi guys! I’m writing my story right now, and it’d be better if I named my character, but I heard readers like naming themselves. I was wondering if stories without name customization annoy some of you or not. Do you guys like being able to name the MC, or do you guys not care. Thank you!

-✯Insta: creatiff.writes

4 Likes

do you like to name MC

• yes
  • no

0 voters

1 Like

I personaly hate naming characters because I never give them my own name and it takes me forever to think of one, I also don’t like giving them the same name in every story.

5 Likes

I do, but it really doesn’t matter

2 Likes

I find choosing names hard, so I borrow them from my friends.

When reading a story, I’d rather not choose. I invariably pick the default name the author suggests, and the appearance for that matter.

4 Likes

i do like them, however, i also love it when the author gives you the option to choose a name but if you can’t decide they give you the “standard” name for the mc which you then can fill in instead.

3 Likes

Well it’s good for me anyway. I like giving name but I never mind if the character has her/his own name. So if u give your character your own desired name it’s perfectly fine :blob_hearts:

2 Likes

I prefer to not be able to choose the name because I think it plays way too much of an important part and I could never think of a good one :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I literally don’t mind either. I don’t get why some people act like it effects the whole storyline if they don’t get to put their own name. I’d read a story allowing me to give my name, and one that doesn’t regardless. :ribbon:

1 Like

Personally I LOVE being able to name my MC because I can enter my name and it feels like i’m actually in the story! Samething applies to fully customizing my MC to look like me :slight_smile:

Now just because I can’t name the MC doesn’t automatically mean I won’t read the story but 99.9% of the stories i’ve read that don’t allow you to enter a name for the MC i’ve HATED the name the author picked- it’ll either be overused to h*ll n back, ugly, basic/common, required ZERO imagination to come up with or won’t match the MC/the story (example: I read a story not too long ago where the MC was a goddess and the most powerful being in the world yet the author named her Sara :joy: Now there’s nothing wrong with that name but for ffs this is a fictional story you can name the MC anything you want the possibilities are literally endless but you choose to name MC something boring. And sadly like I said before that applies to 99.9% of the stories where you can’t name the MC i’ve come across). Authors have the right to do whatever they want it’s just hard for me to get into a story when I don’t like the name that the author picked and it’s hard to avoid it because the MC is the main character and we see them the entire story so can’t exactly sweep it under the rug. But to be honest even on the rare chance that I do like the name that the author picked it’s still hard for me to get all the way into a story. Since Episode is a visual novel whenever I read it feels like i’m actually in the story so it throws me off when i’m feeling that way but the MC doesn’t have my name.

Now when it comes to customizing the MC if I can’t fully customize the MC I won’t read the story. The reason is similar to the premade MC names but only difference is that I NEVER like how the premade MCs look. They’re either ugly, basic looking or don’t match up to the story. Now I know some authors give readers limited customization but even then they never give enough options to make the MC even remotely decent looking. And once again just like with the names since it’s the MC and since we see them the entire story I can’t exactly ignore it.

Don’t get me wrong i’m not bashing anyone who thinks differently then me infact i’m happy for them because the option of naming your MC and fully customizing them being in the same story is rare usually you only get one or the other or don’t get either. so the people who don’t like those things and/or don’t care have a lot more options then readers like me have… sadly. And i’m also not bashing authors who don’t let readers pick the MC’s name and don’t let readers fully customize the MC- if you wanna have a premade name and a premade look more power to you it’s your story so do whatever makes you happy all I ask is that you let readers know beforehand so that they don’t waste their tickets- maybe put it in your story summary that your story has no customization and that readers can’t enter a name. I’ve wasted so many tickets on stories just to find out that I can’t do either of those things ):

1 Like

You can always give them the option to name, but also suggest a default name for those that don’t want to name.

Like this

1 Like