Do you guys think a lot of overlays spot directing is overwhelming

Do you guys think a lot of overlays and spot directing and a lot of zooms and taps and JUST A LOT OF STUFF in the story is overwhelming or do you think just a regular story with not a lot of overlays and all that junk still makes a good stories ? Or just any at all cuz nowadays so many stories have so many things going on :sob:

2 Likes

Sometimes spot directing many overlays and zooming onto scenes and characters is overwhelming. I know how it feels as I’m working on one of my stories and the zooms, the overlays, directing is eating me up. It becomes too overwhelming after a time period. Few overlays are fine but when I have to give them animation or put them in other zones every now and then, then it becomes too much to handle. And if I get any errors with them, I’m done for lol.

And about the stories which won’t have too many overlays or zooms. I think that won’t bother too much as long as the plot is good. What matters to me is plot, if the plot ain’t good then I’m pointing out the directing too lol. I’m just made that way. And if the author decided to get their story reviewed then I would recommend them to polish the use overlays and directing as we reviewers are said to check everything perfectly.

2 Likes

Period

1 Like

I think it can be. I personally find too much of anything can make a story not as enjoyable, although I must say that spot directing is normal to me and I like stories that have spot directing more than stories without. I also prefer stories with close up zooms of the characters and not just the default 100% zoom of the entire zone.

I do however dislike stories (because I can’t connect) that have so much advanced directing and seems so busy that you become distracted from the plot and/or the author hasn’t invested as much into the plot as the directing. In my opinion, the plot is the backbone of the story, any story and the directing is the visual bonus. A story can look amazing, but if it lacks in other areas then it can become boring or confusing. I get overwhelmed if there’s very frequent advanced directing with a whole heap of assets and so does my phone. :joy::person_shrugging:

I’ve also enjoyed plenty of stories that only had a few overlays here and there because the plots were good and the characters were likable and intriguing.

The directing standard/benchmark has definitely gone up over time and will likely only continue to go up. :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

Absolutely! I’ve bumped up my directing style recently, and having to create overlay after overlay is tearing me apart. :woozy_face:🥲😵‍💫

1 Like

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is Episode-related. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

Personally, I find that in a lot of cases, overlays can make a story look “tacky”. I find that they often look out of place and distract from an otherwise great story. I think overlays should be kept to a tasteful minimum, used where necessary to enhance the scene. I like seeing things like soft sun ray overlays, as they create a beautiful atmosphere. I also love to see overlays that make scenes dynamic, such as characters standing behind columns of a building.

Hope this helps in some way! x

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.