Do you hate or like backstories?

So I have a backstory that is 2 chapters. Is that too long? Should I make it into one? Or leave it out completely?

4 Likes

I like backstories but two chapters sounds too long. I’d recommend narrowing what’s important for the reader to know down to one chapter and then show the rest in a second chapter later in the story if possible. Personally for me, if I’m ready a backstory that’s two chapters long consecutively, I’ll get bored.

2 Likes

Backstories hold a lot of significance (if it includes good informations) so I’d say, it’s fine. It depends on the author how much time she/he wanna take.

2 Likes

i don’t have anything against backstories and i think they’re quite useful and informative but, definitely don’t make it two chapters long. you should try to space it out and don’t overwhelm your readers with a big information dump. reveal the backstory as the story progresses overtime to make it more interesting!

2 Likes

Sometimes backstories are crucial.
The approach I usually do is add back flashes or a scene or two when something from the past needs to be told to the reader.

I personally don’t mind 2 chapter long back stories but idk about everyone :grin:

2 Likes

That’s what I’m planning to do in my story!

2 Likes

Depends how important the back story is. If it’s needed to better understand the characters, then I think its fine.

3 Likes

Ayeeee :cowboy_hat_face:

idk why I used that emoji :woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

I love backstories because it helps explain the motives and personalities of the characters. Instead of putting them into two chapters, maybe you can space them out a little bit. Like you can put small flashbacks giving away small details throughout the story instead of making a super long backstory chapter, if that makes any sense.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.