Do you think...?

Hey, guys! I hope you are all doing well :relaxed:
Due to a topic @A_Friend_of_Death made, I was curious to see what you are you all thinking about writing romance. Do you think it can be written only by those who have love experience or by everyone? Please, vote, and of course, you can write your opinion down below.

• ROMANCE CAN BE WRITTEN BY ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE LOVE EXPERIENCE
  • ROMANCE CAN BE WRITTEN BY EVERYONE

0 voters

Please, @Sydney_H, correct me if I have put my topic in the wrong category :sweat_smile:

I hope you all have a good day/evening/night :two_hearts:

Take care,
Christina<3

4 Likes

I think by everyone. It doesn’t matter if you’re in a relationship or not. When you’re a good writer (that isn’t experienced in love, has no relationship) :point_right: you still can write a good love-story. Depends on the individual, the author.

6 Likes

I think inspiration for romance doesn’t necessarily have to come from your own experience. Inspiration can be drawn from books, shows, music, family or friends. Some authors also use the absence of romance in their life for which they long for to create their own romantic fantasy.

7 Likes

I think that “writing from experience” is an unnecessary limitation for writers. Having experiences to draw from help to write realistic relatable characters, however you could draw from a similar experience or research your subject. Like I’ve never been in a romantic relationship but I have platonic ones, if I want to portray a miscommunication that hurts their relationship I can draw from experience with a platonic one.

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

I sure hope not! But I suppose with little to no romantic experience, you’d be most likely drawn to more of your familiar field (for my case, it’s platonic and familiar love). Still, I think it’s still possible to write romance with no experience, it’s just gonna be a tad harder for you.

2 Likes

You don’t need actual life experience to write romance for two main reasons. First, romance means different things to different people. What some consider romantic others may see as ridiculous, or vice versa. There is no scenario that everyone would agree is “romantic”. The second reason is because most romance (especially if it’s in the “Romance” category) is all about wish fulfillment and creating that perfect fantasy relationship. It doesn’t matter if it’s realistic because it’s not supposed to be. Just look at all the stories with the misogynistic murderer love interest who somehow becomes the ideal family man by the end of the story. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Saying you must write from experience is like stating that if you can’t cook then you can’t comment on how a food tastes.

Writing without personal experience can be hard, like a straight person writing gay couples. But that shouldn’t stop you from going wild.

Get feedback or opinions from someone with experience. That should ease you in case yiu have no idea where you’re heading.

4 Likes

Hey, @Sydney_H! I hope you are doing well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Could you please close the topic? Thank you in advance :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Take care, Christina <3

1 Like