Does It While vs Is & Other Similar Things

Just been wondering what’s the difference between commans such as:

1. @CHARACTER is ANIMATION
    vs
    @CHARACTER starts ANIMATION
    (In this case I’ve noticed that if I want the character to start the animation before a transition I have to use starts, I wonder why it matters)
  2. @CHARACTER walks to SPOT AND CHARACTER is ANIMATION
    vs
    @CHARACTER walks to SPOT AND CHARACTER does it while ANIMATION
    (Never used “does it while”, would love to know the difference. Maybe I’m doing something wrong :woman_shrugging:t2:)

And if you know any other similar commands and the differences between them I’d love to learn!
Thanks in advance :heart:

1 Like

Have a look here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, it was really helpful! :slight_smile: However, the writer of the article didn’t know the difference between “does it while” as “is” as well, so if anyone knows, I’d love to hear it! :hugs:

“is” is a beat (1 second). It’s used when you want a character to just do an animation. Using “is” when you want a character to walk while doing an animation can cause a slight pause once that character reaches the spot they’re walking to (which looks very glitchy).

So if I do:
@CHARACTER walks to [spot] and CHARACTER is run_athletic THEN CHARACTER is idle_wounded

The character will run, then pause for a split second, then do the idle_wounded animation, because “is” is 1 beat so that 1 beat needs to finish (if that makes sense). The purpose of “does it while” is so that you can walk to a spot smoothly without any beats.

1 Like

Ooooh, I was wondering how to get rid of that split second glitch! Thank you! :slight_smile::heart: