Don't you hate it when you think your story idea is so original, but then you see like 5 other stories with your idea, and then you accuse them of stealing your idea first?

Just like the question says. Have you had one of those moments? If so, what happened and what did you do about it?

Summary

For me, I have so many story ideas for my high school non-cliche story, and then I see a bunch of high school stories with the same thing, and eventually, it turns into a trope, and I HATE IT. For example, I have a side POC “mean girl” (not exactly one, but still) that wears all purple, has purple contacts, and purple lipstick. I thought my idea was so original until I realized “It Starts with a Bra”– the MC’s best friend is also named Violet, has the same hairstyle, and BASICALLY same appearance! At least my character has more depth from what I planned with her than being a greedy boy/girl person (which my Violet is NOTHING like, trust me). And I just finished reading episode 2 of Friends With Benefits (original in LL), and Ryan’s best friend is Violet, which I hate. 🤦🏽 I also had a school dress code in mind, and that was the my students (characters) would wear anything they want, as long it was red, black, white, and beige; guess what? 3 high school stories I read have that same school color dress code in mind! And the worst part is is that their colors don’t match with the school locker background! They wear red in the same old blue locker background, and it looks AWFUL to me. The colors don’t even match or go well in the slightest. :expressionless: I’m not sure how I can handle this problem.

But those are my moments, and I feel irritated just talking about them. Anyway, share your original idea moments that you think were stolen by you. 💁🏽

3 Likes

Wait! Ughhh me too! I also have an all purple girl :sob:

I made my own uniform things which I like, but I’m sure I’ll see it in other stories

2 Likes

Aww man, we BOTH have the same character in mind! :sob: Well, at least their personalities are different, right?

2 Likes

Haha I hope!

2 Likes

the case is, nothing is original anymore. every single idea is already taken.

example my story is about a girl who find out she is a princess. there is 1000 of them already, I made it original, by adding my own things to it. that is what you have to do too. make it original, there is nothing wrong with using already used ideas, its what YOU can do with it, its what you do there make it different from all the others story.

example of one who did a different of cliche, she had a cliche blonde mean girl, how she made it different the mean girl is a lesbian and into MC.

17 Likes

I definitely agree with you :100:

4 Likes

When I’m reading a story I personally don’t care if there are cliches in it. If there is then what I look for is how the author played into those cliches. You got a mean girl, classic, but what’s different about her? what’s she afraid of? what’s her goal? who does she have relationships with? Give her some personality that is different from the typical mean girl, make her more realistic. Ideas are hard to be original these days, especially if you were inspired by something, it comes to execution where you really show your originality.

I have quite a few cliches in my story as well but I have some plans for them that I will hopefully show the difference, if I execute it well.

Good luck with your story and don’t get too discouraged. Writing is tough but I think you find a way to get through it.

8 Likes

I thought my idea about a murderous mean girl clique (where the mean girls kill each other for no reason) was so cool and original. I read a story called Pretty Girls, Ugly Secrets which had the EXACT SAME IDEA!

5 Likes

When too many people try to not be like too many people they end up being like too many people - Shania 2020

vote me for president bc i think i cracked the code

what im saying is when so many people lets take ‘pick me girls’ for example. when they try sooo hard to NOt be LiKE OTher GiRLS. they end up being like all the girls not TRYNA BE LIKE OTHER GIRLS pls tell me if u understand and im not crazy

5 Likes

Oh, I understand. And the struggle is real too, :expressionless: especially in Episode stories.

1 Like

I feel like that stuff doesn’t matter so what if somebody else had the same idea :woman_shrugging: Do it anyways it’s ur ideas as well and they aren’t u urs may be better because u are doing it! Do you realize how many music artist out there with similar songs? Tons! How many fast food places across from each with the same menu? Tons! How many stores wit the same products? Tons? But some get more popular then others because even tho they’re similar they’re urs is gonna be different because it represents u! That’s why u should do it anyways because urs gonna be different because it’s by u not some other author! But that’s my opinion in the end it’s up to u!

5 Likes

And also we all had a purple character named violent at one point :eye: :eye:

2 Likes

frl like im not being shady here comes the shade but yk people that try to make their female mc’s like “bADDass Need No Man EMoTIONlESS BlACK ClothEs TatToO” like its acc repetitive at this point

IT IS OK TO BE GIRLY
IT IS OK TO BE FRAGILE like tf whats everyones obsession with being different

omg this is so off topic sorry anyways link ur story I will def read it

4 Likes

Yeah, those bad*** MC’s end up being just as b****y as the mean girl in the story ahem Alexis Reed in Amor Loco. I read 1 episode of the revamped version of thar story and stopped reading because she was too much. And thanks, hopefully I will be able to publish

3 Likes

Bump

2 Likes

Bumping again

Well, in my first story that I haven’t even wrote the first chapter for, the means girls are not just gonna be blind, white girls. There’s a black girl, a hispanic/latina girl, and a white girl with red hair, and then there’s also a girl with blond hair and blue eyes

1 Like