Drawing Tips and Tutorials Needed! 😖

So I’ve been drawing character portraits, I guess you can call them, for a little while now, but they always end up looking weird in the end, so I wanted to know if anyone knows any good drawing tutorials or tips that could help me? :confounded:

I feel like I’ve almost seen them all, but I struggle especially with these things:

• Lips
  • Hair
  • Clothing
  • Eyes
  • Contour
    Eyebrows almost always look weird too

Any help is appreciated :blush:

3 Likes

@Turtle_Cat
@Maria.StoryWritter
@Jayl
@MysteryMaker
@darryl_daddy
@Cassandra_Dean
@tabbie.episode
@Rac5hel
@Cheyara_Skadi
@Blue1994

1 Like

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

:wink::sunglasses:

1 Like

I’ll advice you to do eyelashed, you can trace episode stuff for now and when you think you’re fine then try doing your own

1 Like

Thank you. Do you have any tips on how I could make good eyelashes or to trace them well? :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Have you checked this

Yes :confounded: I somehow can’t get things to look similar though

@Problematic_Patrick

Tips:

Don’t use the airbrush! I see that your pieces contain this brush and I just had to let you know. Airbrushes tend to make the work look flat, unappealing or unrealistic. Use a cel shading pen (like Dip Pen Hard) or soft shading pen (Pen Fade).

• Draw hair in chunks and not strands. I know real hair is strands but the key to drawing hair that looks good is to draw the hair in chunks. Episode Ink is a cartoon style, so drawing strands (which is realistic) will make it look strange.

• Practice drawing so that the pupils in the eye are looking in the same direction.

• When shading, don’t just use one colour that is a darker version of the base. Some lighting is weird and so shading is sometimes purple, green and pink etc

Here are some picture tutorials to help:

image image

4 Likes

Thank you so much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

The eyes there are looking too big as you aren’t accounting for eyelids and eyelashes. Remember to do the inner eye inside the outline, not over it, if that makes sense. Also when drawing eyelashes, don’t make them straight up, make sure to angle them to a natural shape. Also the pupils have a darker outer line to them :slight_smile:
As for tutorials etc, it would depend on what styles you are planning to work with, most tutorials you will find are more for realistic style than episode, and they don’t really cross over so well.
I personally don’t use tutorials, unless it’s a small technique that I want to try something new on, I don’t learn that way myself. But take a look at other works and see how shading and contouring looks and just keep practicing.
Find an app you like and feel comfortable using too.

1 Like

Thank you for the tips :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the tag. But I am still a beginner and trying to figure things out myself. All I can say is keep practicing. And looking and studying how others do it. Sorry, I am not a big help.

1 Like

I wish you the best of luck on your journey then as well :blush::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Thank you. Same to you.

1 Like

What I typically do with contouring and highlighting is to create a separate layer from the face and then lay out where I want the shadows to go, and the key to a more natural blend is (from my experience so far) to use the Paintbrush tool in Photoshop, but what I do is not to make the color opaque. I usually lower the opacity to around 40% and then use the smudge tool (at around 50%) to blend it out. And I do that same process for highlighting!

And with highlighting if you’re ever worried about it coming off too what take a sample from lighter portion of the skin tone on your character reference and just gradually move toward the white tone until your happy with the tone you achieve, that’ll also help with add shine to any areas you highlight as well.

Hopefully this makes sense! Haha, I haven’t been doing this for long but I just kinda jumped into it and learned as I went :sweat_smile: ( I also took a digital graphics class before as well so that helped a lot as well and is also why I prefer Photoshop!) But if you want a free program similar in style to Photoshop, I recommend Gimp! :smile:

2 Likes

thank you so much :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Also with lips, your outline/shape is bad at all! And that come along more naturally with practice of course, but as far as shading goes what helps me is to think of it in 3 colors! You’ll need an overall base color for one layer, then create a second layer darken the edges to give it dimension (also by doing separate layers it makes mistakes easier to clean up) and use the smudge tool to blend out, and then make a final 3rd layer to highlight so that you can give a sense of a full bottom lip and highlight the cupid’s bow (and smudge out to blend) and that should do it!

Hopefully that helps some! :smile:

1 Like

Of course! Anything to help out some :raised_hands:

1 Like

How do you do good eyelashes? I feel like mine look weird. :sweat_smile: