Driving Scene - Moving the Character and the Car Simultaneously in a Looping Background

Hi Everyone!

I need a bit of help with a car scene in a looping background.

The problem that I am facing is that the Character and the Car are not moving parallel like I intend to. When the car moves to the desired spot off-screen, the character kind of dips down for a second, which is the issue. Although the character just zooms off the screen with the car, it’s not really noticeable. However, I would still like to know the right way to code the scene.

Script

Original spot for the car and the character

&overlay ORANGE CAR create
&overlay ORANGE CAR shifts to -99 -19 in zone 1
&overlay ORANGE CAR scales to 0.950 0.950
&overlay ORANGE CAR to layer 1
&overlay ORANGE CAR opacity 1.00

&CHAR spot 0.680 166 159 in zone 1 at layer 0 AND CHAR faces right

Zooming off to offscreen spot
&CHAR walks to spot 0.614 166 133 in zone 2 in 1 AND CHAR does it while idle_sit_serious_loop
&overlay ORANGE CAR shifts to 239 -19 in zone 1 in 1

I have also checked this link - 🚙 HOW TO: MOVE OVERLAY AND CHARACTER SIMULTANEOUSLY - HOW TO DRIVE A CAR
But I don’t get the calculation part and I think the link doesn’t use the looping background.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :hugs:

1 Like

Your spot directing needs to match on the same axis for example:

&CHAR walks to spot 0.614 166 133 in zone 2 in 1 AND CHAR does it while idle_sit_serious_loop

Either both numbers need to be 159 or 133 if they are different then it will look funny unless that’s what you’re trying to do 🫶🏼💕

Correction:
&CHAR walks to spot 0.614 166 159 in zone 2 in 1 AND CHAR does it while idle_sit_serious_loop
Or
&CHAR spot 0.680 166 133 in zone 1 at layer 0 AND CHAR faces right

1 Like

Thanks! I overlooked this. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To create a driving scene where the character and the car appear to move forward with a looping background, you need to make the background scroll continuously. Start by ensuring your background image can seamlessly loop. Then, fix the position of the car and character on the screen. As you update the scene, move the background image to the left. When the background image reaches its end, loop it back to the start. This way, the background keeps scrolling, giving the illusion of movement, while the car and character stay in the same place on the screen. This method is simple and creates a smooth driving effect. Car Window Tinting | El Paso, TX | Washclub

1 Like

To fix this, make sure the code controlling their movements is coordinated. Check that they’re following the same path and moving at the same pace. Tweaking the timing or smoothing out their movements could also help. Basically, aim for consistency in how they move together on screen. Interior Car Detailing | El Paso, TX | Washclub

1 Like