Easy solution with the “anyone can have this hair type”

i don’t understand why someone would get offended by something they don’t have? something that has nothing to do with them? i’m white and i don’t think pure white people naturally have 4c hair.

4 Likes

As a poc I just want to say that Caucasian people don’t own the rights to “straight hair.” There are a few pocs that are actually born with straight hair, and not 4-type hair.

5 Likes

most of the time people often confuse frizzy hair with what an actual afro looks like. i do understand the confusion somewhat because of how both look. however, there’s an obvious difference. frizzy hair is just that- most of the time it will frizz up in a fro like shape, but the texture will remain the same. that soft, straight texture that a lot of white people have. meanwhile, for those who are Black or a person of color, they’re hair will shrink, become bigger, and fro up. though the texture is kinkier, tighter or even coils. however, as the op stated. use at your own risk. we can’t stop you and it isn’t always our job to educate you. however, stop telling us what hair belongs to us and what doesn’t.

frizzy.

an actual afro.

this part is more in general and not directed towards your comment. the example below should help people understand what “coils” are. i think it’s fairly obvious the newest hairstyles are afro-textured.

8 Likes

Yeah I know my hair, I know there’s a big difference with my hair and lots of POC’s hair… that’s what I said in my comment :sweat_smile:

My mom is uneducated about hair textures, and that’s why she (like many other people) define frizzy or just curly hair like mine to be ‘afro’ lol.

My hair can shrink, can get big, and other stuff, but not to the same extent type 4 hair does, and in terms of texture they’re not even comparable. That’s why I personally follow some of the haircare tips that black women give on the internet, but will always have to adjust them to my own pattern, otherwise I might get the opposite effect :joy:

Anyways, to my understanding, what people mean by defining non-type 4 hair ‘afro’ is whatever hair that is curly, frizzy, and/or looks ‘messy’ to them (:roll_eyes:). As in “it looks so unmanageable that it’s gotta be an afro”. Racist? Probably. And in fact guess what, my mom had zero idea of how to take care of my curls when I was younger. I had to learn everything by myself.

I was responding in reference to what your mom said and my comment was also directed towards the people who will say that white people hair turns into an afro. I knew what you were getting at in your comment.

3 Likes

Don’t even get me started on this. It does frustrate me in a way because it feels like people always try to take things from black people all the time. I could be overreacting, but that’s how I feel right about me. Why am I seeing a white or non-black character with Afro-textured hair? Like, what is that. If your character isn’t black, they have no business wearing an Afro-textured hairstyle. Yea, I know people argue that white people have curly hair too but it’s not the same as black people’s curly hair texture. It doesn’t come close to it. If you don’t have any African ancestry, you do not have Afro-textured hair. That’s the bottom line :woman_shrugging:t4: A lot of people don’t understand.

When it comes to braids and dreadlocks, yea I’ve seen white people wear them but at that point, I think it’s cultural appropriation. You’re taking a hairstyle with so much history behind it, claiming it as yours and giving it a new name. I often wonder how in the world non-black people wear them because it doesn’t fit their hair type so to speak. Braids and other protective styles are for natural, thick, Afro-textured, coily and curly hair. Not everybody has Afro-textured hair unless they are a black person.

14 Likes

I do know some people that are like Italian that do have very curly hair, however, isn’t afro-textured hair.

It’s more like that. Sometimes a bit more curly.

Tbh I’d never give my white characters an afro unless I was trying to portray them as being culturally appropriating… or if they were hippies or something (I’ve seen a lot of self proclaimed hippies having an afro or dreads when they were white) I’m not saying it’s right, but I am saying that by doing that I would be portraying that kind of culture. But I might make a statement about how what they did back then was culturally appropriating.

Otherwise, if I want to use the black hair styles, I’ll add more black characters lol.

I just wanted to say, it’s not just us Italians who have curly hair like that. Perhaps it happens more frequently on Italians, Spanish and others from the European side of the Mediterranean (since we’re talking about white Caucasians’ textures), but I’m sure you can find curls in other parts of the world as well.

Anyways, just to avoid confusion, I’ll list all the hairstyles that I’ve personally seen on white people’s heads

right here

These being the most frequent:

While less frequently I’ve seen these as well:

5 Likes

Bump

I feel like if you actually do your research on a certain type of person you want to write about, and they have textured hair use the textured hair.

2 Likes

I saw a author who I used to respect, post smth abt how her white character can have type 4 bc ‘it’s just a hairstyle’. Then, continue to post baby pics of her as ‘proof’. and this got 2,000+ likes?!?

I feel like ppl just listen to whatever a big author says & believes they’re above basic stuff like cultural appropriation.

If u r not sure- take a look at this.

3c + can absolutely not b used on a Caucasian. there r no excuses at this point. It’s honestly basic common sense, when a style is labelled ‘type 4’ u don’t freakin’ use it on a white character. yes, the hairstyles r gorgeous n u want them on ur characters, ok then, make ur character black, nobody’s stopping u :woman_shrugging:t3: or is the only black character in ur story the mc’s sidekick? then Karen, that might b a sign u want to change smth in ur v diverse story :wink:

anyway, I’m still furious these big authors posts defending themselves r getting more likes that ones trying to educate the stupid (like urs makayla) I wish big authors w large followings could just drop their large ego’s, own up to their stupidity & apologize to the black community. :cloud:

15 Likes

Bump

1 Like

bump :white_heart::white_heart::white_heart:

1 Like