(Edited) What do you guys think about this story?

I mean, a lot of the time they’re in that cliché genre and most people don’t want to read them.

But I was thinking about the whole “mafia” thing and types of hierarchy. In the future, I think I might want to make the story about a main character taking over their parent’s (or only one parent’s) secret “business.” I don’t want it to be like a “oh I’m randomly a princess,” but something more along the lines of “I have to deal with this sudden lifestyle I was put into because of my parents.”

I think it will be centered around this with little-to-no romance and how the MC will cope with the sudden change. Whether or not it should be a mafia, business, or some other sort of chain I won’t figure out until later. But I’ll make sure to give subtle hints before the big “reveal” that the parents were up to something. Wondering if I should just make it that the MC just “found out” or the parents died or something and the managers/workers came to get the MC and introduced him/her to this lifestyle. (Edit: Also thinking about another story which is a Romance genre, but I never get started writing, lol. I think I’m just lazy… Might wait until the summer.)

What do you guys think?

3 Likes

Well, I love mafia stories

1 Like

Mmm I think suddenly finding out your parents are gangsters/mafia members is a bit unrealistic, but if you want to write it go for it!

2 Likes

How about if she took over a company? Like becoming a CEO? And there are people in the story who have a problem with it? Possibly people who already working for the company and have a problem with a teenager taking over his/her parent’s position, despite being their child. I’m just thinking of different situations where the MC is forced into leadership/a situation and have to cope and adjust their lives. I understand the Mafia being unrealistic, honestly. I was going for more of a realistic story version, but being a CEO sounds smarter.

1 Like

That definitely sounds more realistic, but maybe make her a little older than a teenager? Just if she’s like 16/17 it’s obviously a bit weird cause she should be in school, and still 18/19 is a bit young unless she’s been coached for years of how to run the company. It would be more likely they’d find more experienced to run it while she learns, but if it’s important to the story then do what you want. The rest of it sounds really interesting!

1 Like

Hmm… How about they’re older then. Maybe they should be in college striving for a certain major just to leave the business lifestyle their parents wanted them in, then something happens and they are practically forced to take over their parent’s business. How does that sound? If it has to do with learning about the business maybe they can do that in college or within the business with the few allies they have. I’m just typing as I think, but I want to make it plausible, all while not focusing too much on one aspect; the main lifestyle or the business. I also am wondering about what to make the business about. I know what the MC’s first problem is going to be though. Probably an overwhelming amount of bodyguards.

Orrrr… they are taught how to run the company for a long time but is still reluctant up until the incident? Like, they constantly go on about someone else doing it, or how she wants to do something else, but their parents want them to aaaaand let’s just call it a “dying wish” or whatever happens, kidnapping, etc. How about that?

Which sounds more realistic?

1 Like

Yup, sounds perfect!

Wouldn’t she already have a body guard if her parents were really rich/famous?

I’d go with the first one :wink:

1 Like

Also, I’m thinking at first the MC didn’t really like the ideas of bodyguards, so their parents would have someone watching them (without MC knowing). But now that her parents died (or whatever incident) the people she knows in the company to be close with her parents force more bodyguards on her out of fear of her life.

Thanks for your help, by the way. This actually helps me develop my story pretty well. At first I didn’t know where I was going with it, but you’ve helped me a lot. :smile:

2 Likes

No problem, that sounds good!

2 Likes

same, I have VERY UNHEALTHY addiction…

2 Likes

I think it sounds good! Just a heads up though, if you don’t put a lot of romance into it, it might not get as many reads but I mean that’s not necessarily true just what I have seen I guess.

Moving this to Share Feedback since it’s about a story idea. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.