Editing Synagogue Backgrounds

Hello, everyone. It is Kanu.
I would like to know - what do you think about people editing synagogue backgrounds (especially the entrance and exit), so they won’t be synagogues, but something else? Because I think it’s very disrespectful that people here use a background of synagogue, the dearest and holy place to the Jewish people.

• I think it’s so disrespectful and it should be banned.
  • It’s not such a big deal and I don’t mind if someone edits a synagogue background.

0 voters

Share your thoughts with me and if you have any questions or something isn’t clear, then ask :blush: :grinning:

P.S: 1. When you express your own opinion, please do a favor and do not express yourselves (or talk) in a blunt and unpleasant way, especially when you disagree with others who don’t think as you do. I am not willing to deal with it nor do I want anybody to open arguements. This is a thread which people can express their opinions, not a place to open arguements on.
2. I accidently clicked on the vote and wrote “should be banned”. You can refer the "I think it’s so disrespectful part…
3. Please do not rush to vote. Read everything before deciding what is your opinion about this subject.

1 Like

Now I’m going to be honest because I really don’t know much about a synagopue, and because of this I really don’t see any problem in editing the background but this is just me

For me, it depends on how much they edited and what they edited itself, I don’t know how to explain things, but you get the idea.

I think it depends on how they edited it and in what way. For example, if they added a flower patch nearby, then that’s okay, but if they put Satan’s face on it, then that’s certainly not okay.

5 Likes

Depends on what they edit.

I’d say the outside backgrounds being edited wouldn’t be bad, but inside backgrounds definitely shouldn’t be edited.

5 Likes

Agree

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is related to Episode backgrounds. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

What do you mean exactly by “editing” the background? Do you mean like…editing the image so that it is still technically a synagogue and adding something else to it? Like that?

I mean, if the angle of the image is needed, but you don’t want a synagogue, as long as it is clearly erased and made clear that this is not a synagogue in the image but something else entirely, that’d make me feel better.

However…if you have the building and add like…graffiti to it, add decorations to the building, things like that so it is still a synagogue, yeah…way disrespectful.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t see any problem with it at all. It is a background, you could call it an artwork. It’s not like it’s a real life building. And I think that if you want to change a background of a synagogue because you think the building is pretty it’s not a big deal. Nor would it be a big deal if it were any other religious building (in my opinion). It’s a background wiht the building style of a synogogue but it’s not a REAL synagogue, it’s just pixels so I don’t see what the problem is.

Hello, @NelidaU.
When I said “editing”, I meant that editors/artists take a background of synagogue and edit it so it would be something else - not a synagogue. For example, there was a time that I read a story and during reading it, I saw a edited synagogue background, so it would be a police station or something like this.

Regardless of the background being a synagogue - if I was a editor/artist and took a background of church (for instance), with a cross, deleted it and put a Star of David instead, how do you think people would have responded?

Do not misunderstand me. I am not an editor nor artist. Even if I was, I would have never done it.

2 Likes

In my opinion, I don’t see a problem with editing a church with star of david for example either. It’s just a background. Like the building style and want to use it as a different building than it was originally meant to be? Go ahead.

I think it matters but yes, pixels or not, an art of a religious place or something that resembles it shouldn’t be shown as something distasteful or inappropriate. Those places have meaning and shouldn’t be touched with such intolerable things.

3 Likes

That’s one of the points. Even if it is a background, it is based on a real religious place. That’s why it is not just a background for me.

1 Like

It just matters how you edit it I’ll say.

1 Like

Hmm…mmkay. I get what you’re saying, but I think as long as they aren’t defacing the synagogue as a synagogue, there’s less of a problem. I feel the same way about a church. If you remove the cross so it is no longer a church, but a synagogue instead, that wouldn’t bother me because like I touched on, maybe someone likes that building’s angle/perspective better than the single one Episode provides ^^’

Like, they only have one single angle for inside of the mosque, too, and I don’t like it T.T

So if I wanted a better one, I’d definitely either make one from scratch (or if I could because too much time X’DDDDDD) I’d edit an image Episode already has with a better angle and make it into a mosque.

Luckily for us! The synagogue image is the best out of all three X’DDDDDDDDd

1 Like

Depends on what you think is distasteful, If you edit a synagogue into something racist or discriminating agaisnt jews for example, of course that is distasteful and inapropriate. But to me editing a synogogue into an entirely different building like a policestation because you like the building style is fine.

2 Likes

It is a background but even backgrounds can have meanings to it. There’s a few of backgrounds that have cultural and religious meaning in the Episode portal. I would get why people would be upset of the way they edited it.

1 Like

That’s perfectly fine. I don’t see a problem with that either. Personally, as long as it’s not offensive, go ahead.

1 Like

Agree

1 Like

Unfortunately, I saw stories that the synagogue was edited in a unwanted way (in my eyes)

3 Likes