Editing Synagogue Backgrounds

How so?

1 Like

really? like what?

Like, you could still tell it was a synagogue originally, but it was being used as something else?

Yeah…that’d bother me, too. T.T As long as I see an image and it is not a synagogue with extra shit to try and communicate that it isn’t (but it clearly is), Houston, we’d have a problem.

In my eyes, using a synagogue background to edit it not as a synagogue, but something else, is disrespectful and unwanted. (I am sorry for the spelling mistake. I meant to write “unwanted”, but instead I wrote “inappropriate”. I apologize)

4 Likes

May I ask why it is disrespectful and unwanted? Not trying to be rude or anything.:grin:

You don’t sound rude at all :blush: :grinning:

Well, as @EpisodeShadow said, even if it’s a background, it can have meanings.
I said that editing synagogue backgrounds is disrespectful as someone who believes that every religion should be respected and as a Jewish who sees a synagogue as a precious and holy place. So, yeah, maybe for you and others there are just backgrounds, but for me the “just” backgrounds have a meaning for me.
But, anyway I respect your opinion :blush:. I do not expect you to change it at all.

I apologize for taking long time to reply, @Raven.episode

3 Likes

Don’t apologize! I respect you opinion too, I just needed a little explanation on it. But thank you for explaining your view. I must say I do really appreciate that you actually think about these things before using it in a story and making it discussable.:grin:

2 Likes

Everything is good. It is good to ask questions if anything isn’t obivious. :smile: :blush:
Hope my explanation was clear.

2 Likes

I thought you meant editing it so it had posters or something, but editing it to be a police station is definitely disrespectful

1 Like

It depends on what people edit and why, plus how they use it. Offence is more about intent than premise.

2 Likes

That is deeply upsetting. Holy places in stories should be treated with respect. They should never have characters doing something in them that would be considered inappropriate (such as a sex scene) without acknowledging that the action is not okay for that location.

But this can’t be done if the location is being changed into something else. That makes it doubly bad: anything that happens there can’t be considered happening in a holy place, even though it is, and it takes somewhere holy and makes it common, which also isn’t okay.

I have such admiration for the Jewish faith, and I know if someone had taken an LDS temple and made it a restaurant or something, I would feel sick. Even if you aren’t religious yourself, you have to respect someone else’s faith. If you can’t respect it for their sake, then think of it in terms you understand: for example, a sex scene in a graveyard or at a funeral would be wrong. In the same way, sex scene in a church would be wrong, even if they are claiming this obvious church is something else. If a synagogue can be turned into a police station, it - or any religious building - can be turned into a strip club or mafia headquarters. There are always other buildings you can use as a background, it doesn’t have to be this specific one. Be respectful and use something else. Your aesthetic is not more important than someone else’s faith.

Taking something from another faith and making it something for yourself is inappropriate, too!

Bleh, I’m just word vomiting. This should be a reportable offense, if it isn’t already.

3 Likes

I do not know what about you, but I really think it should be stopped. Even if some people (editors/artist) aren’t religious (regardless of their religion), they should respect others’ religion.
When I saw in a story a synagogue background, what I felt was a shame and shock.
(Do not misunderstand me. When I say “shame”, I do not mean that I am ashamed of my religion, god-forbid)
I do not know if you felt the same way, @Mehasels, but I did.

2 Likes

Depends on how they edited it.

1 Like

omg yes prEACH

2 Likes

As a Jewish person from Israel I really don’t mind, because if someone edits the background it’s probably not because they want to offend religious people or disrespect the religion. They probably just need a background and that background is easy to edit or simply looks good.
It’s not done out of disrespect and I wouldn’t bat an eye if I saw something like this. I know other people might and will think differently but I’m also a background editor and I know how hard it is to find a background that you can easily edit. It’s not done out of bad intentions. It’s a drawing that’s easy to work with to create the result you need.

2 Likes

כנראה באמת שלא
מה הם עושים?

הלו! בלי קללות בבקשה
זה לא משנה. אני לא מוכנה שיקללו פה. בבקשה כבדו את זה.
כתבתי מההתחלה, לא לדבר בצורה בוטה ולא נעימה.

1 Like

הכל טוב אנחנו חברות טובות היא קוראת לי ככה על בסיס קבוע :joy::joy:

Translation edit: If people really do make disrespectful backgrounds out of a synagogue it’s a different thing. But IMO making a library or something is not disrespectful, it’s just using the resources that you have to create something you need and I find it okay :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Please do not speak Hebrew or any language in public.
It is pretty rude (although I myself spoke in Hebrew :sweat_smile:, but I had a reason why to)

1 Like