English 🇬🇧 Characters! UPDATED

So I saw a thread about writing Italian characters so I though I would do one of English characters as I am English!
I know there are some misconceptions about England so I’ll clear some up! :blob_hearts:
UPDATED WITH FOOD
UPDATED WITH COUNTIES
UPDATED WITH SAYINGS AND MEANINGS

Stereotypes

We love tea!

So a lot of people in the Uk do love to drink tea, I personally am not one of them but we don’t really count it as something that defines us or part of our personality.

We’ve all met the Queen/Royal Family

Not that many of us will have even seen the Queen/Royal family in person let alone actually met them but you can go and see Buckingham Palace.

We are all chavs/roadmen

Not true. There will obviously be some but most people will just act and dress like a normal person.

We are all posh

Again, mostly just normal people.

The weather

Yes it does rain. A LOT. But, we don’t carry umbrellas around 24/7 just waiting for it. The summer can be quite nice sometimes but we do get random heatwaves so everyone will immediately have a bbq whilst they can. We very rarely have snow and if we do it won’t settle, it’ll melt on impact with the floor or settle a tiny bit and be gone within the day. It gets pretty cold in the winter so you will think it is going to snow a lot but it never will.

Clothes

We just wear normal clothes I guess. You can’t go anywhere without seeing the majority of people wearing jeans or leggings.

Schools

We have preschool/nursery/playgroup (all the same thing), primary schools, secondary schools, then college or sixth form (you can only go to one of those). By the time you have finished that you are 18 and don’t have to go to any schools anymore if you don’t want to but you can go to university and anything after that. Up until at least secondary school you will have a uniform to wear.
The important tests you have are SATs which are in yr6 and GCSEs which are in yr11. Well primary schools treat SATs like they are really important but they don’t really do much, just give secondary school an idea of your abilities so far to help with what set to put you in for maths and anything else.
The years in the Uk are different to grades in the US. Each year is one above the grade e.g. yr9 = 8th grade
There are also key stages but I don’t fully remember what they are. Yr1, and yr2 are key stage 1 I think or just the ‘infants’ yr3 - yr6 are the ‘juniors’ and I think key stage 2
I don’t really remember what happens with the key stages after this but I’m pretty sure yr11 is in key stage 4

Money

We use pounds (£)
The different coins are 1p coins, 2p coins, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, one pound coins and two pound coins
We also have notes which come in £5, £10, £20, £50 and possibly higher but no one would use higher unless they were rich.

Politics

With English politics there is the house of commons, there are 650 seats. When there is an election for example, if the labour party win 5 seats, conservatives win 2 seats and UKIP win 1 seats. this means the labour party has the majority of seats and when it comes to decisions the party that has the most seats have the majority overall on the decisions. (hopefully I haven’t confused you. As well as when deciding an outcome of something , for example the latest big political decision was made on free school meals for children in school, for example say in the conservative party all parties will get a separate answer of what they are in favour of, even though they come from the same party doesn’t mean they have to choose the same option but in the school meal debate the conservatives hold the majority of seats, within the seats post people voted to not have free school meals anymore. so the decision was to cut the funding for it. also you vote or seats in the house of commons and the prime minister separately. I hope this helps, I am not too into politics but i do keep my head into some topics and vote. Also to relate it to America, the conservative party would be for like Donald trump and the labour party would be for Biden
ALL POLITICS SAID BY @tc.xo

Food Debates

Ok so the whole chips, fries and crisps debate.
The fat ones are chips. The skinny ones are fries. The ones that come in a bag are crisps. There is no other way other than some people do call fries chips too.

Biscuits, cookies and scones.
We sometimes call biscuits and cookies the same thing but not always. I would call a cookie a softer one like a chocolate chip cookie. Biscuits are often found sold in tins with lots of different types in them and are harder in texture.
You would eat scones with jam and clotted cream NOT GRAVY.
Some people will say scone like cone (with an s at the start obviously) and some people say it like scon. There is not a right way but there is a big debate soo.

Where you store chocolate
This is a debate we decided to have in a science lesson when I was at school, do you store chocolate in the fridge or cupboard?
I would say cupboard, you don’t want your chocolate rock hard and impossible but apparently more people than I though do keep it in the fridge. They all say it is to stop it from melting so fair enough.

Food

So we eat a variety in the Uk as you would expect but there are some classics.
Fish and chips is a classic but I don’t like cooked fish so I get kebab which is also great :grin:
Chocolate and sweets
Basically any takeaway - curry, chinese, pizza etc
Especially as a kid but for lunch beans on toast chef’s kiss
Sandwiches are a pretty normal lunch
Cheese Toastie is a greattt lunch
BLT!!
Haha Tesco meal deal
Pot noodle, I personally love these

Food shops

Tesco. There’s Tesco extra and Tesco express but no one ever calls them those, it’s big Tesco and Little Tesco :joy:
Asda
Iceland
Sainsbury’s
Lidl
Co-op
Morrisons
Aldi
Waitrose but I really feel you only go to Waitrose if you are either on a trip somewhere like driving to London etc or another reason I can’t remember :joy: :sob:

Counties

All the counties in England:

Bath and North East Somerset
Bedfordshire
Berkshire
Bristol
Buckinghamshire
Cambridgeshire
Cheshire
Cornwall
County Durham
Cumbria
Derbyshire
Devon
Dorset
East Riding of Yorkshire
East Sussex
Essex
Gloucestershire
Greater London
Greater Manchester
Hampshire
Herefordshire
Hertfordshire
Isle of Wight
Isles of Scilly
Kent
Lancashire
Leicestershire
Lincolnshire
Merseyside
Norfolk
North Somerset
North Yorkshire
Northamptonshire
Northumberland
Nottinghamshire
Oxfordshire
Rutland
Shropshire
Somerset
South Gloucestershire
South Yorkshire
Staffordshire
Suffolk
Surrey
Tyne & Wear
Warwickshire
West Midlands
West Sussex
West Yorkshire
Wiltshire
Worcestershire

Sayings and meanings

Some can be used in their own and some can be used in a sentence
If you need help putting any in a sentence then feel free to ask!

Bloody

*Very
‘That’s bloody awful’
*Also just about blood
*Idk how to describe it but just the phrase ‘bloody hell’
‘How the bloody hell did you do that?’
Just ‘bloody hell’ on its own. Watch clips from Harry Potter for context because I can’t really describe this :joy::sob:

You alright?
*Just a greeting, they aren’t actually asking how you are so it’s best to just answer with ‘yeah, you?’

Mate
*Friend

*Naff
*Tacky, worthless, unfashionable
‘The party was naff’

Rubbish
*Same as ‘garbage’
*Also to describe things you don’t like or don’t agree with
‘They’re the best band in the world!’
‘That’s rubbish!’

Bagsy
*Shotgun or dibs

Bog/Loo
*Toilet

Bog standard
*Something completely ordinary with nothing extra
*Nothing to do with a toilet
‘It was just your bog standard room to be honest’

Boot
*A boot as in a shoe
*The compartment at the back of the car (trunk)

Brolly
*Abbreviation of ‘umbrella’

Chuffed
*Overjoyed
‘You must be chuffed!’

Cheeky
*Impolite, shameless
‘A cheeky grin’
*Pleasurable, self indulgent
‘A cheeky pint’

Faff
*To waste time
‘Stop faffing around’

Gutted
*Devastated
‘I was absolutely gutted’

Innit
*Abbreviation of isn’t it
*Not used by older generations

Leg it
*Make a run for it
‘I had to leg it!

Geez Louise
*Something you can say to show surprise, shock, etc.
‘Geez Louise!’

Whinge
*To moan, groan, and complain in an irritating or whiney fashion
‘Stop whinging!’

If you have any questions about anything let me know below! :two_hearts:

53 Likes

Thank you so much for this! It is exactly what I needed for writing an English character in my story. :blob_hearts:

I do have a question though. What is the difference between Britain, England, and the United Kingdom? In America, people use these words interchangeably when referring to England

2 Likes

Thank you for this helpful thread! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

So we do use whichever we want a lot but England is a country in the Uk (United Kingdom) which is also known as Britain! Scotland and Wales are also in the Uk

2 Likes

Oh, ok! Thank you, this makes more sense now

2 Likes

The only thing I’d change is, Scotland has different schooling system than those in England and Wales, so the schools years will differ as well as the exams we take!

3 Likes

The amount of people who think all Brits talk with that stereotypical posh accent astounds me. We all sound different depending on what area we’re from, but you only seem to see the posh way of speaking in most media & films.

6 Likes

Lol yesss, someone said to me ‘but you don’t sound British’ - huuuuhhhhhhh?!

3 Likes

Also that everyone acts like we are the only place with boarding/private schools… with really posh uniforms :eyes:

2 Likes

Yes honestly, my accent couldn’t really be further from the typical one you see so often on TV outside of England, and so many people (usually Americans) say “wtf, are you really British?”

4 Likes

Oh yeah, do you know exactly what they are because I’m not really sure

1 Like

Honestly if they met my school and more specifically the people they’d realize how dead wrong they are :skull:

2 Likes

Lmaoo yes!

3 Likes

Haha yup

2 Likes

tysm girl I AM TIREDDDDDDDDDD bruh so all my characters are english bc im english and literally u wouldnt be able to tell because were literally no different

WE DONT LOVE TEA

3 Likes

Im tired of everyone thinking we all speak like the queen :tired_face:

4 Likes

I’ve a question actually :thinking:

So uh are there any competitive exams in England for posts in administration?? for my story gah

1 Like

So I’m not really sure but what do you mean by posts in administration?

2 Likes

Yeah, so we have primary 1 -7, then you move onto high school/ academy which are S1 - S6. You normally sit your Nat5 in S4 and many people decide to quit school then (they’re 16) and go to college. Then in your S5 you do your highers and in S6 you do advance highers! Some people do their HNc/HND and go to uni into 2/3rd year. Uni is also typically 4 years’

1 Like

Oh :sweat_smile:
I mean to ask that are there any political posts in England which do not require voting and where people are selected on the basis of their result in an exam? idk if this kind of system works in England or no, but it does in my country so I just wanna know

2 Likes