English šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ Characters! UPDATED

Great information. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for this thread! I might possibly make a story, including these type of characters; so Iā€™m glad this exists so Iā€™m not stereotypingā€¦ :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, most people wear jeans although leggings are becoming quite popular atm in my town

2 Likes

Ohh right sorry
So I donā€™t know that much but I donā€™t think so. We have a prime minister and party that gets voted for then the Royal leader (currently Queen Elizabeth) it is about family.

1 Like

Ooh yeah do love leggings :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for making this! :heart: super helpful

2 Likes

I have a British character in my story. She only speaks 2 lines of dialogue, why am I reading this? XD

3 Likes

thank you for this :raised_hands:t4:, as iā€™m often told i donā€™t sound posh as if itā€™s a british priority :joy:.

2 Likes

with English politics there is the house of commons, there are 650 seats. When there is an election for example, if the labour party win 5 seats, conservatives win 2 seats and UKIP win 1 seats. this means the labour party has the majority of seats and when it comes to decisions the party that has the most seats have the majority overall on the decisions. (hopefully i havenā€™t confused you. As well as when deciding an outcome of something , for example the latest big political decision was made on free school meals for children in school, for example say in the conservative party all parties will get a separate answer of what they are in favour of, even though they come from the same party doesnā€™t mean they have to choose the same option but in the school meal debate the conservatives hold the majority of seats, within the seats post people voted to not have free school meals anymore. so the decision was to cut the funding for it. also you vote or seats in the house of commons and the prime minister separately. I hope this helps, i am not too into politics but i do keep my head into some topics and vote. Also to relate it to America, the conservative party would be for like Donald trump and the labour party would be for Biden

2 Likes

As an English person, I claim this.

2 Likes

But with the important tests, SATS are not important at all. Your GCSEā€™s can be, to get into a good sixth form, and your A Levels are important for uni. Uni exams are important as well for resumes, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tag! :blush:
Iā€™m gonna bookmark this just in case, thanks :wink:

2 Likes

True. They are just the only other bigger tests that I could think of :joy: :sob:

1 Like

I have a question! Iā€™m also english myself but Iā€™m curious on where people call nursery ā€˜preschoolā€™? I thought that was an American thing? Iā€™ve never heard an English person call it that ever lol.

4 Likes

Neither have I!

3 Likes

yea, it was always called nursery as far as i know.šŸ„²

3 Likes

We also have Ā£2 coins :rofl:

Where I am, we donā€™t have preschool, and itā€™s not a term that Iā€™ve heard used on this side of the pond, more of an American term I believe.

Here, we have Playgroup that is usually for children between 3 and 5.
Then thereā€™s primary school, and first year there is Reception. (Which isnā€™t compulsory to attend I believe). Then Years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 which were split into Key Stages back when I was in school (could have changed now as itā€™s been a while :rofl:.

Year 7 is the start of secondary school, and in year 9 you choose classes that you want to take the next year for your GCSEā€™s. You have core classes which are compulsory to takeā€¦ e.g. Maths, English, one Science (Chem, Bio, Physics), one language.

There is also the chance to do work experience at this time. Where you do a day at college, and one at work experience, and continue with schooling.
NVQ levels were an accomplishment for some classes and college courses.

After GCSEā€™s, you choose your A Levels if you wish to continue education, and can continue in 6th form, usually a non uniformed section of education at the same secondary school, or to a college.

3 Likes

Most of the people I know call it preschool mainly because that is what the place called itself but maybe itā€™s just to do with where you are?

2 Likes

Nursery is from any ages, so it covers 0-5 years in its entirety and if more of a learn by play/daycare kind of thing.

Preschool is usually 3-5 years and follows a more school like structure, to prepare those children who are going into reception the following year.

At least thatā€™s the way Iā€™d always known it around here :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

From what I remember I went to preschool for two years and started primary school when I was 4 so I must have started preschool when I was 2

2 Likes