English 🇬🇧 Characters! UPDATED

• Do y’all ever make fun of the Queen’s wave? I’m assuming yes. I’m from Australia and we do… :full_moon_with_face:

• How do y’all view the monarchy of England?
    Curious ‘cause I know the monarchy of Thailand is viewed as greedy, corrupt and cruel.

• Is Knights Bridge in England a posh area?
    I looked it up but I have no idea since I’ve never been to the UK and we all know websites aren’t always accurate.

• How do y’all view Australians and Kiwis (New Zealanders)/Do you guys have any stereotypical views of us?
    I just have to know to satisfy my curiosity. :joy:

2 Likes

It took me years to realise I had an accent and now I can sometimes hear it coming from myself and I find it really weird :joy:

1 Like

Yeah me too!

2 Likes

Okay so
Yes, people make fun of the queens wave sometimes.
The monarchy of England… they aren’t bad people, I wouldn’t say they were greedy corrupt and cruel. I don’t know what to say about that, when people mention them I instantly think of the queens speech on Christmas every year. :joy:
Knights Bridge, I’ve never been but it’s in London so I would assume it’s posh? :joy:
Lots of people here mimic the Australian accent, and the first thing I think of when people mention Australia is those hats with the weird cork dangly things on them. um… moving on.
I always thought New Zealand was really cool for some reason.

3 Likes

I can add insight on two of those.
The monarchy is a difficult one, people are very divided on it. The majority of people I know don’t actually care at all about the royal family (me included), and see them more as a tourist attraction, rather than actual powerful and important figures. However, there are also British people who hold the queen and the royals in high regard. It really differs, but I’d say in general, interest in the queen and her family lessens each year.

For the Australian/kiwi one, I know that personally if we’re ever doing accents, my goto for Australian is “throw some shrimp on the barbie”, or “wallaby”, just because I associate those phrases with Australians lol. I’d actually love to visit Australia, however it is widely known that y’all have the dangerous, massive spiders and critters, and we don’t really get them here - not the dangerous kind, anyway!
Currently, I believe we’re all just jealous that Australia and New Zealand are covid-free, whilst we’re still only just coming out of the worst days of it.

4 Likes

I mean especially my family/friends like to imitate the wave :joy:

The Queen is immortal and we hope when she dies it’s not in a holiday so we get a day off school, the Royal family isn’t something I exactly pay that much attention to but I’m sure different people will have different views on them.
Boris Johnson doesn’t count in the royal stuff but he’s the prime minister and we all just think he is a general idiot

Being great friends with google it says it is one of the poshest neighborhoods in the world and I know there is a Harrods there so it seems about right

We do imitate the accent a bit or random phrases and are just jealous that there is pretty much no covid left over there and we have a very high rate still :triumph:

2 Likes

Truth

2 Likes

[cackles]
I’ve only seen those on tv and in souvenir shops tbh. :skull: A few outback Aussies might wear them but that’s about it. If you’re not in the outback and you walk outside with one of them on - ppl will judge. :joy:

I’m entertained but not surprised baha. Idek why that phrase is so widely associated with us tho, we don’t actually say “shrimp”, we always say “prawn(s).” :weary:
But my dad’s imitation of a British accent is usually with the sentence “Oh, jolly hockey sticks!” and his head turned slightly upward. :joy:

I can confirm that. We have plenty of scary(?) wildlife, most commonly though is just the daddy long leg spiders and the bigger tarantulas (both pretty harmless). Occasionally some snakes too… but I do think others exaggerate. It isn’t that bad if you’re in the city, suburbs or by the ocean. :eyes:

He always looks like he just got out of bed. :joy:

There’s been quite strict restrictions here and each state has different rules but we’re quick to lockdown areas that have a cluster of cases even though many citizens get angry about it. I feel for y’all, things look real bad over there from what I’ve seen on the news. It’s horrible. Our neighbor New Zealand tho— wooo! They’re doing a great job.

4 Likes

Omg haha I’ve never heard anyone ever say that :joy: :sob:

NO THANK YOU

We are in lockdown 3 at the minute :roll_eyes: :expressionless:

2 Likes

My uncles live in Australia and never wear them… I think you should bring back the cork hats. :sob:

Never heard anyone say anything remotely similar to that. Ever. :joy:

3 Likes

This made me laugh but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. I have lived in the UK my whole life and never heard something like that. :joy:
I guess this what we get for using “shrimp on the barbie” and “there’s a shark in the water”. :joy:

4 Likes

I could never eat fish every week. :woozy_face: But that sounds like something my dad would like. He loves his afternoon tea.

2 Likes

Yeah haha
I don’t even like tea or cooked fish :joy:

2 Likes

Yes my kind of brit! I hate tea it’s just so bland to me.

2 Likes

Exactly! I think it’s just like hot weird water!

1 Like

id like to say… we arent just chavs and roadmen, i personally hate tea and lastly, not everyone is posh😭

im in the kinda south area of london so i do tend to see lots of roadmen lmao.

3 Likes

Ahh ikr
I do know some people that are pretty much chavs and roadmen or they just act like it idk but it’s the stereotype that is just so annoying :triumph:

3 Likes

frfr

2 Likes

Bump

1 Like

Bump! This is a really helpful thread :llama:

3 Likes