Entitled Behaviour Among Readers - HELP!

Reader here, so clearly not as smart as some folks but I’d just like to point out that this was a response to very particular comment. A very particular fanmail I might add. It wasn’t someone trying to critique, it wasn’t even a warranted critique. So having a discussion about the entitlement some people feel was necessary and fair I feel

Your views completely negate the fact that half the things tu claim I did arent true.

I said that I’d react the same if I had 2 views, so clearly not cockiness.

I openly promoted constructive criticism.

I asked how I could respond in a non-rude way.

I also identified the difference between saying you dislike something and telling someone to change their story.

1 Like

If I insinuated that readers aren’t smart I apologise, never meant that at all.

No worries, I kinda latched onto the ‘generalization’ comment and felt I could dispute it a little. I understand if it was a heat of the moment comment but this wasn’t generalization. I’ve seen the fanmail and it was pretty. How do I put it… I am insinuating that some readers aren’t smart

1 Like

You’ve taken my comments as an attack on you, which is not what I intended. I’m trying to help because I’ve been where you are. I may not have responded to every point you made but that is because the other points are fair.

In terms of the cocky comments, that was linked to you mentioning how many reads you have, in the sense that the more reads you have, then you don’t have to pander to your readers. I have around 25k, I don’t see myself as more important than someone who may have 250 reads. That is why I mentioned cocky.

1 Like

That’s so very true! Some readers don’t come across as smart in any way but each to their own lol

There’s nothing cocky about making a point. Yes, I have 150k readers and I don’t need to pander to one reader to keep my views up - which is what they were implying by their fanmail.

Unless you’re implying that because I’m a writer, I have to take the abuse without stating the obvious.

2 Likes

Because, yes, it’s abuse. Messaging me multiple times demanding I change my chapter lengths is harassment.

2 Likes

So unless you just expect writers to deal with harassment and not say anything, I’m completely in my right to say “I have 150k reads. I don’t need to pander to 1 reader”.

1 Like

“But I wouldn’t pander if I had 2 reads”

No I never said you have to tolerate abuse, no one should ever ever accept abuse directed towards them. They should never be subjected to that. I survived abuse for many years and I have a big issue with those who do that. I just see fanmails as an annoyance rather than something to get so worked up about.

I agree also that yes it is harassment, and that is why I’d recommend the block button. Out of sight, out of mind.

1 Like

Yet the reads don’t matter IMO. That’s the point I’m making, just don’t mention it. If you mention it, you come across as cocky, that’s just the unfortunate reality,

1 Like

If you didn’t realise, this post is specifically requesting information on how to deal with it. I’m very open with my readers and usually always provide them with information even when they’re rude. This time I got angry, upset and needed some help… because they’re harassing me with entitled behaviour.

Then like I said the block button, because you’re always going to get rude ass people and blunt idiots. They’re not worth the anger/upset.

I’m not trying to belittle you, I’m just mentioning that in the end those readers are insignificant. The bigger picture is that your 1% of ‘harassers’ don’t matter in comparison to 99% of those who love your story and don’t complain.

A block button doesn’t make it okay. I made this post for two reasons

1. to ask for help
  2. to tell people that this behaviour is not okay.
1 Like

Okay fair enough, I’ll shut up.

Of course I’m going to complain! Harassment is an issue. It shouldn’t be an annoyance we deal with. I shouldn’t be told to keep my mouth shut about a real problem.

You don’t have to keep your mouth shut, keep talking about it but the anger/upset for me isn’t worth it. You wanted help and I gave you my opinion on how to deal with the problematic reader.

How you deal with it is up to you.

2 Likes

Oh my for somebody who claims not to be sensitive, that certainly was a sensitive reaction:

You know why I said something:

“Third your criticism is not criticism if you’re not giving me ways to improve but just picking holes in my work. It’s just childish, petty and annoying.” (Sorry, quote formatting doesn’t work on my phone)

Wow, well said. I totally agree and I hope that this revelation can carry across to criticism of other authors that aren’t you. That’s not sarcasm either. Just the blunt truth.

To answer your question though,and this is a sincere answer, I empathize with your frustration with the fanmail Bc it’s very frustrating. The best thing to do is block their account from sending more fanmail. Also, sadly, when you start getting a lot of reads, this is just something that authors have to deal with. Some readers get completely obsessed with the story and become demanding to the point where it discourages and frustates us as authors. There really isn’t any way to stop it other than to block it. Another thing that helps me not get bothered by is to just expect it and not take it personally because these fanmails are the nature of the beast. This is just one of the many frustrations that come with having a more visible story, and it’s not going to stop. In fact, the more you entertain them by answering them, the worse they’ll get because some of them (especially if they’re kids) enjoy making people angry and getting attention, even if the attention is negative.

2 Likes