Epi College Fair 📚

Hello!

Recently I’ve been thinking about what to study and major in, and honestly I still have no clue :sweat: I’m in 11th grade right now, but one should know like a year before or something and it’s very frustrating.

I like to hear about majors/ professions from a students perspective, so if you are a college student, can you answer these questions:

1. Which major have you chosen to study (will or are)?

2. What are some career opportunities with the major?

3. Did you always know you wanted to study that? How did you find out?

4. Can you describe/ summarize what the major consists of?

5. Any other details you’d like to add?

I will reflect on every major/ profession cause honestly, there are so many that are unknown to me.

Thank you!

If some more occur to me I’ll write them down:)

4 Likes

@lostintranslation

1 Like
    I’m currently majoring in psychology.

There’s not a lot you can do with this major by itself but it can grant you to go to med school for psychiatrics or to get a doctorate for psychology. It’s basically a good major if you’re going to grad school, a waste for the most part if you aren’t.

I’ve always found the human mind interesting. Like how brains develop when someone is between the ages of 1-5, mental illnesses, attraction and love, marketing and propaganda–the list goes on.

The topics I previously mentioned are just a bit of it. There are different branches of psychology. You learn a lot about developmental and cognitive psychology.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you don’t know what path to take, you actually aren’t screwed until maybe your second semester in your sophomore year. Usually, if you aren’t a student who’s taken a lot of AP classes and received college credit for them in high school, your first year and maybe first semester in sophomore year, you’re taking classes everyone in every major needs to take in order to graduate. So don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Lots of colleges tend to have programs for students who haven’t decided on a major to try out different classes.

I wish you luck! : D

3 Likes

As you said, the human brain is very interesting, mostly because it’s peculiar. Thank you!!

2 Likes
  • Which major have you chosen to study (will or are)?
    I majored in SpEd - I graduated 2 years ago and teach a severe autism class (not all in my major do this, just my personal preference)

• What are some career opportunities with the major?
    teaching (special education), most school/clinic-based therapies with additional degrees (speech, OT, PT, OM, TVI, DHH), ed psych, behavior intervention, lots of others

• Did you always know you wanted to study that? How did you find out?
    no, I’d honestly never met a PWD until I went to college. I went to a small, private school with only neurotypical peers. In college I started working with a group on campus and loved it and ended up switching my major.

• Can you describe/ summarize what the major consists of?
    there’s two branches in this major. basically, one will prepare you to teach students with specific learning disabilities (dyslexia, dysgraphia, etc.) who spend most of their day in regular classes but need extra help in reading, math, etc. for that major you learn a lot of reading strategies, how to run small groups, how to work with a co-teacher, and other things like that. the other branch prepares you to teach students with more severe or developmental disabilities - sometimes called a life skills class. in that branch you learn strategies for teaching kids with severe cognitive deficits, behavior management, communication (like communicating via ipad, eyegaze, visuals) training, laws surrounding special ed, and lots and lots of case studies haha. both branches (really any education degree) has you do 3 semesters of a mix of university classes and on-site field experience with the last semester being a full-time placement in a classroom where you eventually take over as lead teacher.

• Any other details you’d like to add?
    The job market is insane for special ed teachers (because it’s so hard haha), which is a really good thing right now in this economic climate. I also get paid what teachers with a masters (I only have my undergrad) get paid, which is really nice haha. My university classes were pretty easy compared to my friends who were doing bio, chem, etc - most ed majors do a lot of reading articles, discussing/analyzing, on-site evaluations, etc. which is a nice change from intense exams. It’s definitely not for everyone, but I really like it haha.

3 Likes

This sounds very interesting, they have those programs in my school and I never questioned how they actually worked. I’m glad you found a major you love :sweat_smile: Thank you so much :blush:

2 Likes

Eee thx for tagging me @episodemichi this is lowkey my favorite subject

TLDR: I love my major and gave as much detail as I could without revealing my top secret identity.

My major is global international relations and I’m a third year student. (I’m taking a year off for Covid, but whatever.) Specifically, I study crisis management and the media’s impact on foreign policy. I was supposed to be double minoring in economics and Japanese, but sometimes things don’t go as planned. (Thanks, Covid!) My specific major is extremely unique and there’s not another program like it on the planet, so if you want specific details, I’d be happy to explain, but also don’t want any personal info left out on the interwebs. (Pictures of me will come up with googling my specific program. It had a 5% acceptance rate my freshman year and has only decreased since.)
    Government, international business, international law, think tank, academia (becoming a professor), NGOs, Peace Corps, military.
    I’ve always been obsessed with history and international politics. Model UN was my thing in high school. I was president of the club for two years, executive committee one year, head delegate 3 years, vice president one year. I had plenty of awards in it. I was always obsessed with international relations. There really was no other option. My parents tried to talk me out of it, but three years later, here we sit and I couldn’t imagine another path.
    Diplomacy. Specifically, it’s the study of the interactions between governments. It’s a social science. You have to study foreign languages (I speak three languages), political/IR theory, world history, economics, classes pertaining to culture, etc. My specific focus is crisis-based, so a lot of my classes have to do with mitigating international incidents. Furthermore, my thesis is on the media and online grassroots movements, so my thesis advisor actually studies journalism. This is not a get-out-of-STEM-free card. I have to take classes both in math and science. Most schools offering this are going to be liberal arts, meaning you have to take a bit of everything to fill humanities requirements.
    When looking for a major, look for something that you’re passionate and makes you happy. It’s really easy to burnout very quickly if you don’t like what you’re studying. Even within the field I’m studying, certain classes have been challenging due to my lack of interest in the course material. Furthermore, my specific major requires around a hundred pages of reading per night. In terms of workload, I once wrote 50 pages in three days. (I had 12 papers due over the course of two weeks and one of my professors was out to get me, so don’t read too much into that.) My major also would not be suited to someone who thinks that studying diplomacy means they can save the world. International relations is frequently mistaken as a major dedicated to helping to solve global issues. It isn’t. You’re an observer and you promote the values of your country or organization. I wouldn’t recommend the major to someone unable to separate their political opinions from their career. A lot of people wash out because they go in thinking they can save the world. It’s not gonna happen with an IR degree. Regardless, I adore my major. I’ve gotten to live in another country and explore the world in ways I didn’t think I ever would. Covid is totally relevant to my major and almost all of my classes last semester required essays relating to the pandemic. Global issues are paramount and you’ll explore them like you never have before.
2 Likes

Awwww. Question! So you’re gonna do this after college?

1 Like

That’s what I’m currently taking a year off from doing. If you’re wondering about my career plans I’d be happy to talk to you about it over DM, lol.

1 Like

SIIIII

1 Like
  • Which major have you chosen to study (will or are)?
    Business Administration in Management
  • What are some career opportunities with the major?
    A lot of jobs require a bachelors degree in business, and it’s great if you want to get a second degree (in my opinion it’s not worth much if you don’t have skills or qualifications in something else). But for me, I want to do an art related degree later on, most likely fashion marketing or graphic design.
  • Did you always know you wanted to study that? How did you find out?
    No, I wanted to go to art school, but as I got older to me it made more sense to get a more practical degree first (I have the privilege because I have no college debt). So I decided to go for business, I want an MBA later on but I’m trying to focus on one thing at a time.
  • Can you describe/ summarize what the major consists of?
    Well my school doesn’t have work study, unfortunately. But most of my classes are related to business, economics and finance.
    A lot of classes require you to have arithmetical skills, communication/writing skills, cognitive skills ect. Don’t take this major if you’re not willing to be exercise all of those things, A lot of people come into business thinking they can completely neglect math and english. But those are EXTREMELY important in this field. You will be required to write a lot of financial statements, memorize formulas (profit, cost, demand, supply just to name a few) even construct graphs (which usually require equations) and economics??? that’s GRAPHS GRAPHS GRAPHS! You’ll also need to write a lot of case studies, business plans and plan presentations. That was the majority of my second year
  • Any other details you’d like to add?
    I love uni, when it comes to business related classes, I actually enjoy them. When it come to subjects like Accounts (I HATE them). But campus life is really cool, you meet lots of new people, some from different countries. Academics aside it’s a really great experience.
1 Like
    I’m currently majoring in Architecture, First year.
    Well…you can become an architect, Or You can become professor who teaches architecture. there isn’t that much really.
    I’ve been facsinated by different styles of building in different eras and places so I guess I always have wanted to study that.
    I think I found out when I visited India and the buildings are just beautifull and I knew I had to do smtg in life realated to that.
    Basically how to plan layouts of houses and buildings etc. we will study bout the theory and history of different designs. math is super important and creativity as well. there is quite a bit of drawing, like about perspective and everything and I’ve seen your gorgeous art so u might have an upper hand at this
    like @lostintranslation said ONLY chose a major if you are highly interested in it and/or have a passion for it. Dont chose a Major cuz it might guarantee high pay or status and what not, Its gonna stress the hell out of you

good luck and dont set a major rn just be open with your options and chose with an open mind :heart:

3 Likes

@BluMoon

1 Like

Computer science seems like something I could like, thanks for your help :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never heard of the major and it sounds amazing, I hope I could feel as hyped and determined as you when I find, well the major.

Also, dang Japanese that’s so cool :relieved:

1 Like

This is actually something I am inclined to mainly because I want to be an entrepreneur but work in science as well :pensive:

1 Like

Hehe, architecture is definitely not my thing :sweat_smile: My drawings :dizzy_face:

Thanks though :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

You can totally do both, if you’re determined it’s never too late to explore your options

1 Like

You think so? I’ll have to investigate more in both then :slight_smile:

He he I get it! Good luck on finding a major that suits you!