Episode Art Standarts: Discussion. Precaution, insensitive subject. šŸ’ƒ

So. At first, Iā€™m gonna repeat.

Donā€™t read this thread in case you have a sensitive artistic soul. Meow.

So. Artists flooded the Episode Forums.

I might sound like a stuck up bitch with the egoā€™s size of mighty Russia, but maybe Iā€™m not the only one who thinks that like half of the art I see on daily basis here kinda sucks? Like it-was-drawn-by-a-drunk-five-year-old kind of sucks? Okay, we all gotta start somewhere, and we improve with time. And some people just wonā€™t be able to do decent art, even if they practice for many years. Itā€™s just how it is. You canā€™t be good at everything, and sometimes you canā€™t be good at one thing, no matter how hard you try.

But I see how a lot of people praise these artists, which encourages them 1) to stick with the same work quality and 2) to do a LOT of requests.

Sometimes when I see these praises I canā€™t decide, is it me who was dropped on my head when I was a baby, and canā€™t adequately judge this art or people are so focused on being nice and afraid to offend someone, that they just keep on lying?

So questions for you.

• Do you think Iā€™m being fair or just obnoxious with the things I said?

• What do you expect from your art requests?

• Have you ever had a request done and been really unhappy with what you received?

• Did you use it? Mention you arenā€™t happy? Or did you just thank them and say it was good?

• Maybe your art sucks and you know it? How do you deal with it?

19 Likes

I always take art from artists who give examples, because if I donā€™t, and their art isnā€™t to my liking, I donā€™t want to upset them by not using it. I am always honest. Of course, I point out the positives, because there are always positives if you look hard enough. I also point out what they could improve on, if theyā€™re asking for an opinion. However, me being me, I donā€™t think I could straight up say, ā€˜it sucksā€™. Iā€™d be structured like so:

• One positive
  • Negatives with a sprinkle of positives
  • Positives
3 Likes

first people are been nice. to them

second this are people who do it for FREE

you can nit expect same quality for free as in art you have give money for

example art by me
the art i do for free

the art I am been paid to do (btw not done with this one)

if you do not like the art do not ask for it

last every single artist I ever meet(including myself) think their art suck.the people who think they are good and brag about how good they are usually are the one who suck most at art

2 Likes

Being nice, and being a liar are different things. You can say truth, while staying relatively nice.

Thatā€™s wasnā€™t the subject of the thread, to be honest. Like, I can receive a lot of things for free, but it doesnā€™t mean they will be satisfactory.

Well, I donā€™t agree. I consider myself decent in art, purely average but decent, and yes, I have bad days when I canā€™t get anything right, and I know itā€™s the thing with a lot of artists, and I know it cause I have friends, who are artists. The second part of your statement is half ridiculous tbh. There is that thing as adequate evaluation. You look at other people works, you compare it with yours, you listen to the critique and make a conclusion. Some people can do it, and some canā€™t.

8 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to say that people who think they are good and brag about it are usually the ones who suck most at art. There is nothing wrong with being proud of your art work.
I am pretty proud of quite a few pieces of my own art, Itā€™s not the best and thereā€™s room for improvement, but I believe thatā€™s the case for everyone. Thereā€™s no barrier where you can no further improve.
I donā€™t believe many artists think their art sucks, if that was the case they wouldnā€™t post it. They may not love the piece and they might realise that it can be made better, but I think people who offer to do art for other people and post their art everywhere saying ā€œit sucksā€ usually want people to keep saying it looks good, or they wouldnā€™t post it.
I am not saying this is the case for everyone before that gets twisted.

Also to address the art being for free comment, there is plenty of incredible art work for free, and not just on the forums, it shouldnā€™t be a case of you can only have something rough that someone spends ten minutes on just because you arenā€™t paying for the piece. Itā€™s an artists choice to either do it for free or charge money. Of course you can have more impressive pieces that use different technology and incredible detail etc when you are willing to pay for it, but that shouldnā€™t be what determines quality.
I put all that I can into all of my requests, I will just charge for pieces that will take a lot longer to do as itā€™s then taking up a lot of my time.

7 Likes

That is so true. :pray:t2:

This reminds me actually of girls, who post their pictures with caption ā€œuglyā€. Likeā€¦ Can you be more obvious in fishing for pathetic compliments?

4 Likes

One reason to stay off facebook! Drives me nuts.

2 Likes

Well, not all of us are natural born artists, thatā€™s why we do request for people that are not that good or too lazy to do them. So, I think your point is fair, though some people will get offended.

I rarely request from others, except for background or overlays, because I like to get things done myself. But most of the time Iā€™m okay with what I get.

If itā€™s not that good, sometimes I would suggest a few tips but mostly I just say thanks. Some people are sensitive.

I know compare to others on the forum/whole episode community my art is definitely not the best, but I do have a bit of pride in it. I just constantly stalks otherā€™s art and try to improve with what I learned from looking at otherā€™s art.

5 Likes

Thank you for input.

And I honestly like your art.

2 Likes

I get what you mean. A lot of the art I see around here is, no offense to anyone, not the best. There are plenty of detailed tutorials on youtube to help you improve and tips to make sure your work makes sense in the real world (talking about shading. Sometimes the shading on Episode is illogical.)

I know you canā€™t be born an amazing artist. I know a lot of people ask ā€œHow do you draw??ā€ a lot. And I did. My art was crap. But Iā€™ve learnt a lot from real
life references and tutorials on how to properly shade things. I find most work on Episode sort of lazy. And the topics posted are like ā€œdOnā€™t ReQuEst MOrE tHan OnCe.ā€ or ā€œpLeasE sEnd Me tHe DeTailS thIs REaLyy aNNoyS mE wHen peoPlE dOntā€ Iā€™m not trying to offend them lol. I just find that most Episode artists are a bit nasty with their work, or theyā€™re a bit cold. And sometimes a bit too happy with pieces that look like theyā€™re done with nothing but laziness. Please do not get offended by this - Iā€™m just being honest. And the requester is like ā€œthanks! Itā€™s so good!ā€ Like, people arenā€™t going to improve if you donā€™t be honest. If you donā€™t want to come off as rude, just give them tips. However, it is called constructive criticism for a reason.

8 Likes

agreed

2 Likes

3 Likes

:raised_hands:t3:

2 Likes

@Cassandra_Dean
@Turtle_Cat
@Rac5hel
@tabbie.episode
@Jayl
@Gabby.creates (not sure if u do art, but just tagging u if u do. :wink: )
@Maria.StoryWritter
@DogLover990

3 Likes

definitely true. I suck at everything I do in life. :woman_facepalming:t3:

You canā€™t suck at everything either :smiley: There is always something that is ā€œyour thingā€.

2 Likes

oh right, true. Lol :joy:

You can suck at sucking at stuff :wink: :rofl:

2 Likes

:joy:

:DDDD true. I have one guy like that in my family.

1 Like