Episode Favors and Thoughts

okie so this topic has been made thousands of times but i just have some questions

Type of relationships for LIs/branching?
  • Boy x boy
  • Girl x girl
  • boy x girl
  • Im fine with all (just give the option to pick)

0 voters

Favorite Genre(s)?
  • Romance
  • Drama
  • Comedy
  • Action/Adventure
  • Fantasy
  • Sci-fi
  • Horror/Thriller
  • Mystery

0 voters

How long do you want chapters to be?
  • Less than 5 minutes
  • 6-11 minutes
  • 12-17 minutes
  • 18-24 minutes
  • Above 25 minutes

0 voters

Would you rather: Read a 20 minutes chapters with some filler scenes or a 8 minute chapter with all important scenes?
  • 20 minutes
  • 8 minutes

0 voters

for the number ratings, 1 is worst/least while 10 is best/most

How important is advanced directing? (ton of overlays, advanced zooms and choices)

0 voters

How important is grammar?

0 voters

How important are choices?

0 voters

Do you want authors do have an update schedule, if so, which one?
  • Yes, at least weekly
  • Yes, at least every other week
  • Yes, at least 2 per month (like one batch of two)
  • Yes, at least once per month
  • No, they don’t have to have one

0 voters

Which cover(s) entices you to read the story?
  • A good drawn cover
  • A good edited cover
  • Any drawn cover
  • Any edited cover
  • I don’t care; Covers don’t matter to me
  • Just don’t use the default covers

0 voters

Discussion Questions

1.) Opinions on M/F branches and LGBTQ+? I’ve heard some readers complain about how authors just copy/paste the male branch onto females and just make small changes like height, pronouns, and reasonable things like boy x boy cant get pregnant. How drastically do the braches have to be in your opinion? Is copy/pasting wrong?

2.) How soon can you figure out character development while reading? Most reviewer groups judge character development at three chapters, is that reasonable?

3.) What type of love interest relationships do you like? (like enemies to lovers, good boy, and bad girl, etc)

4.) What genre do you believe is the hardest to write and why?

5.) Can an Episode story ever get “too dramatic”? To the point where you can’t keep up with the drama? What do you think about drama and when should it stop?

6.) At what chapter do you think the plot should begin to develop and show conflict? Give a base like in a 10 chapter story, chapter 4 is when the drama starts

7.) How many chapters do you like and why? Does the length of a story matter?

8.) How meaningful do you expect episode stories to be? Do you like those types of stories? Are they rare?

This is a lot, but thanks to whoever decided to take their time and do polls/questions :D!

2 Likes
  1. I really don’t care tbh! I like any kind of stories!!!

2. I don’t judge the character development. tbh! i don’t think it’s reasonable, but everyone is different and has there own opinions!

3. I like enemies to lovers, bad boy gets with a good girl, or like both are bad and they just have like a connection or something. I also like mafia leaders getting with there enemies daughter, it just…I like it!

4. i think thriller, b/c you want the character to be thrilled. Also, fantasy and mystery b/c there’s so much coding you have to do

5. No! I have survived years of drama so I think I can handle em

6. It depends, my opinion, I would want the first couple of chapters hyping me up, getting me all mysterious b/c I like when there’s a good ending for chapters. I would say around Chapter 5 or 10

7. I like chapter up to 40 or below b/c I like when the chapters just keep going, unlike chapters that end on like 8, just make me think what would of happened after.

8. They don’t really have to be meaningful, I just like how the author really took the time to make it a beautiful piece of art, and that is just meaningful to me…it inspires me sometimes to have the motivations and write a story, draw, anything

I hope this helps! I really like any kind of stories that are long, I don’t know why but I know I do! I have a question, are you planning to write your own story? do you already have a story published? :relaxed:

1 Like
  1. Honestly, I totally get why people get upset when authors just copy and paste the male branch for the female one. It’s understandable for some scenes, but if you won’t take the time and put in some effort for it, then just don’t make a new branch yk? That’s just my take on it though.

2. For character development, it depends how long the story is. For slow burns, like over 70 chapters, obviously character development is gonna be a lot different than for stories with, let’s say 15 chapters. I would say that just make sure there’s a reason for character development, don’t just have it be like because the guy met a girl. Have it matter, yk?

3. Honestly, I just don’t like toxic relationships. Even the cliche bad boy, good girl stories can turn out really great if done right. So as long as there isn’t any toxicity (ie. abusive/controlling behavior, etc.), then I’m good with it. Personally though, I really enjoy stories that don’t start off with the guy seeing the girl and they instantly “feel a connection”, or the girl falls head over heals the second she lays eyes on the Li. Little bit too cliche for my taste, but like I said… Some talented others have managed to positively surprise me with these types of relationships.

4. I believe mystery and comedy are two of the hardest chapters to write. Comedy especially, because honestly, being funny on purpose is so difficult. Especially having an entire story dedicated to that genre, like you gotta be really funny for that. As for mystery, dropping the right clues but making sure the reader doesn’t catch on too fast + keeping the suspense + cliffhangers + making sure everything connects and actually makes sense, etc. is really hard so definitely think those two. However, writing a good story is always difficult (unless you’re like some magical prodigy), but those two are just my opinion.

5. Yes for sure! Some stories get so dramatic to the point where I’m like, okay I can’t even keep up with this. I don’t even want to keep up with this. It’s hard to find the right balance between drama and when it’s just all over the place.

6. Honestly, having some sort of conflict really early on is important. Maybe not the main conflict, but I think that without it, you won’t leave readers wanting for more. So honestly by like the end of chapter 1, I should see something happening, yk? Like something that gives me insight to what’s to come. But obviously the main points and conflicts can start later on. I don’t want to read story that’s literally like just all good and happy for 7 chapters, and then they start to write out the problem.

7. I prefer stories that are at the very least 15 chapters. Although I would love if they were at least 20-40. However, some stories are just meant to be shorter, I’ve read tons that I wouldn’t want to be super long, so just depends on the genre and plot.

8. Honestly, I’m always in different moods. So maybe I’m looking for something light and just funny to read yk? But I absolutely adore meaningful stories, because it’s incredible how authors are able to bring literal pixels to life. It’s a different kind of talent, and I never expect it per say, but always appreciate it. For example, in The Night We Met by Bars, the cigarette has significant meaning and after reading the story, it just really gives you so much more. Idek how to explain it, like the whole story just comes together with that one symbol. Same with Iridescent by Indigo. Unless you’re trying to write a light comedy or like a heavy mystery with nothing else, then try to give your story meaning.

6 Likes

1.) Opinions on M/F branches and LGBTQ+? I’ve heard some readers complain about how authors just copy/paste the male branch onto females and just make small changes like height, pronouns, and reasonable things like boy x boy cant get pregnant. How drastically do the braches have to be in your opinion? Is copy/pasting wrong?

I don’t think copying an pasting is wrong but if you’re going to do that at least put some effort, give the other LIs different personalities, switch it up a bit and give them things that make them unique. They shouldn’t be just a copy of one LI. What’s the point of having multiple LIs if they’re all gonna be the same.

2.) How soon can you figure out character development while reading? Most reviewer groups judge character development at three chapters, is that reasonable?

Tbh, midway through the story itself and towards the ending of the story. I don’t like when reviewers use the first three chapters to see character development when there most likely is none. It’s not realistic and shouldn’t be done unless the writer in completing their story in three chapters. You’re never gonna read a book or watch a movie or show and see the main character change instantaneously within the first few minutes or chapters of reading or watching. It takes time and the writer should be allowed to show the characters’ development as they progress with their story.

3.) What type of love interest relationships do you like? ( like enemies to lovers, good boy, and bad girl, etc )

Honestly, I like all of them. That’s if they are portrayed in a good way. Not the bad boy trying to control the MC or do toxic shit just cause they’re supposedly bad.

Sci-fi, Horror and Fantasy definitely except for the classic vampire stories that are seen in episode. I don’t want to say that other genres are not hard because everyone is different, but using point systems, very advanced directing, and overlays comes alot with the genres I listed (I also know because I have a sci-fi story out). You’re not going to get the same click with readers compared to other genres without the fascinating effects.

5.) Can an Episode story ever get “too dramatic”? To the point where you can’t keep up with the drama? What do you think about drama and when should it stop?

I think unnecessary drama makes an episode story too dramatic. Like I don’t want filler scenes with the same drama all over again like the mean girl making fun of the shy, soft MC. At some point, there’s gotta be an end to the story.

6.) At what chapter do you think the plot should begin to develop and show conflict? Give a base like in a 10 chapter story, chapter 4 is when the drama starts

I think the conflict should start showing from chapter 2 to 3. Many people use the first chapter for CC or to introduce the characters and the setting. Chapters 1-3 are the deal breakers for many stories. If no one sees tension or a some form of a plot, they will drop the story.

I like 30-50 chapters. I love when stories grow on me and I’m able to connect with them. Fast paced stories are stories I tend to forget about. Not that they aren’t good, but it’s just that I didn’t have enough time to understand the characters or the story itself.

8.) How meaningful do you expect episode stories to be? Do you like those types of stories? Are they rare?
I love meaningful stories. I don’t expect most episode stories to be meaningful and they are indeed rare, but the ones that are really have a special place in my heart. I feel like all stories should be made to at least teach you something in the long run whether the story is comedy, romance, or drama.

3 Likes

1.) I dont care much if the author copies and pastes the romance, as long as they do it right. If i can tell they copied and pasted the romance then it’s done badly. You can usually tell.

However, i tend to have more respect for authors who take the time to flesh out each romance differently. That takes a lot of work lol.

2.) How soon can you figure out character development while reading?

That’s kind of a hard question. I can usually tell where a character’s arc or going to go in the first chapter. However, some stories have slow pacing, others fast. I think it’s unfair to judge character development so early in the story. Maybe halfway through.

3.) What type of love interest relationships do you like? ( like enemies to lovers, good boy, and bad girl, etc )

I like all of them as long as they’re written well. My favorite is the “opposites attract” trope.

Definitely Sci-fi. Not a lot of people can write it well, and if they do, chances are not many people will read it since it’s one of-- if not-- the least popular genre. You really have to have a love for it to write it on Episode.

Im not sure. I’ve yet to read an Episode story with too much drama. But then again, im obsessed with space operas, so drama is like my favorite thing in literature lol

I say the first or second chapter. I get bored easily and i need my attention to be captured if i want to keep reading a story

I usually read stories with 10-15 chapters, at most 25. I can’t read super long episode stories or i’ll get bored.

Episode stories dont really have to be meaningful to me. However, i do tend to have more respect for stories that do have a central theme in them. It shows that the author put a lot of care in their story and i really appreciate that.

2 Likes

Omg, why is this so long . . .

2 Likes

thanks for your thoughts! I just wanna branch off question 1 if thats alright @nis.storiesx @shreya.epi and @YourMom

You guys stated that you think its wrong/its fine but also mentioned that some things should be changed (like personalities) in the way i see it, wouldn’t it make some readers have different experiences, thus alternate points on how the story may be interpreted? Say you picked boy x girl if the boy was shy and sweet in that storyline, but if you picked girl x girl, the girl would be more confident and brave, is that what you guys meant?

Im curious because I was planning on writing three branches (boy x boy, girl x boy, etc)but ive heard readers complain about copy-pasting the same script with minimal changes. I just wasn’t sure what changes you or they wanted that wouldn’t make two diff. stories (if that makes sense)

1 Like

Hmmm. :thinking: I honestly dont know. Sometimes it can just feel a little uncanny when the romances are copied and pasted. Like, when there’s a lgbt branch in a straight story, you can tell the lgbt LI wasn’t initially for the part. I dont know exactly what it is tho that makes it feel that way. (this is mostly my experience with featured stories tho)

I have read stories where i forgot the romances were copied and pasted bc it was done well, so it’s not like it’s impossible. I would just make sure each dialogue matches the character. For example, there’s quite a few instances of dialogue in featured stories where the female-identifying love interest was referred to as he/him.

Also I dont think it’s personality. You can make the boy shy and sweet or the girl more confident and brave (because i personally dont mind either of those traits on love interests).

Idk. I would definitely get other people’s input though cause those are really good questions.

1 Like

bump

bump

bump

If an author decides to implement the M/F MC choice I will definitely expect them to put in the effort to make each branch as polished as the other - otherwise I don’t think the option should be there at all

Well i think that depends on the type of story… At least sometimes it’s not a negative thing that the character development is out in the open and for everyone to see, but it’s not always it works so well. I think I’d like there to be a bit of unexpected-ness in the character development, a twist that wasn’t expected or something. Ofc it should be tied together with the plot and make sense for the character and all that! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not the biggest romantic, but I appreciate a well thought out relationship where both characters have a sincere connection and their motives and attraction is realistic and not too fairytale-y
Not a big fan of the bad boy or criminal lover trope, at least I havent really read many stories with them where that dynamic works for me
:sweat:

I don’t really think there’s a specific genre that takes more effort. I believe that’s up to the author. Though I’ve seen more fantasy stories use a lot of advanced coding and overlays, but I know ofc that there’s just as many fantasy stories with none at all. So it really all depends on the direction the author decides to go in.

Yup. I like a slow and intricate story with three dimensional characters and a slow building plot (to some extend) where every scene may not be fully action packed or on-the-edge-of-your-seat exciting, but they still bear meaning or essential character development, so if I read a story with a ridiculous plot twist thrown in every other minute and constant side conflicts of unecessary misunderstandings, secrets and other shenannigans just to keep the readers attention, they’re gonna lose mine 🥸

Now I’m a bit of a hypocrite here, cause I’m gonna proclaim episode one but I have some stories in my faves that are more slow paced than that :no_mouth: But I mostly want to have an idea of whats to come in at least the first two or three episodes to be totally honest

I like short books, 15-20 chapters and maybe a bit more - not a big fan of the 60 chapter books, lol, my attention span is way too short and my tickets way too few. It may be a bit my fault since i dont give a lot of long stories a shot, but I just dont like to start on books as long as that

I have read three or four books on the app that made me really appreciate every character and every twist and turn. It’s very hard to write a story that brings out feelings and emotions for viewers so I dont’t consider that a must for a book i read, especially not if its a more light hearted one or a comedy, since they dont often need to be that deep or meaningful, just entertaining, but its definitely something writers in most other genres should try and aim for

1 Like

I may have misunderstood the second question when I read other people’s answers lol

so do you believe in that they should be unique from one another or just altered enough so it fits with the branch (pronoun changes, etc)?

2 Likes

Don’t think it should inerfere with the plotline, or have any bonus content since the readers should have the same reading experience no matter the gender, but I think they shouldn’t feel like an afterthought, for example (a bit random example, ik) if the character goes to the bathroom they shouldn’t go in the female as male and vice versa - details like that are what I would expect a thorough author would fix

so maybe just a bit altered, no major changes

2 Likes

I want to give you my whole heart! :pleading_face: :heart: I just saw all of your comments and it really brought such a smile to my face!! Best birthday present ever!!! :pleading_face: :heart: :heart: :heart:

1 Like

omg of course! I’d literally never read a story on episode before yours where I genuinely forgot I wasn’t reading an actual novel

I just want good representation and if there’s a female LI branch, I want it to be done well. There are some authors who have a female LI included along with other male LIs and usually the female LI doesn’t get the same amount of opportunities to be with the MC or screen time as the male LIs. Sometimes the author even has obvious favorites and will push a male LI onto you even though you’re interested in the female LI.

It’s so obvious when these authors are half-assing the female LI route for extra reads and diversity points. Like, you can tell that the character was meant to be a man due to the dialogue and their actions. I’d rather have no representation at all than half-assed representation.

I think there are some differences when it comes to the attraction and relationships of same-sex couples versus straight couples and a lot of straight writers just don’t know of. I do appreciate authors who take the time to add some differences to the female LI route and the male LI route that do mention things like sexuality or maybe show differences in how women may flirt with each other or the difference in dialogue when it comes to how they perceive the woman they’re attracted to.

For example, the male LIs may have entire dialogues that focus on female MC’s boobs, butts, thighs, etc. Meanwhile, wlw (women loving women) may focus on a girl’s smile, her eyes, hair, and maybe her forearms or hands.

I think it takes awhile to notice a character developing depending on the story. I don’t think three chapters is enough for character development. especially if these stories end up having 20+ chapters. I think they should just focus on just characterization and how well written characters are within 3 episodes.

I love slow burns. I also love a good enemies to lovers (only if it’s done well) and I love best friends to lovers. I just like seeing the yearning and tension between the characters as they spend time with each other. I’m not a huge fan of the one-night stands, instantly hitting it off type of love stories.

It’s not an official genre but I’d say sci-fi just because it requires a lot of advanced directing and overlays if you really want to make it impressive. Also shout out to fantasy writers who also need to use a lot of overlays and advanced directing. Aside from that, I’d say horror seems pretty hard to write. The episode guidelines can be a bit limiting for horror writers that wanna use more graphic imagery so I assume a lot of them have to find a way to make things scary through more intricate, subtle ways.

Oh Episode stories can definitely get dramatic. There are so many stories where they use drama or create drama for the sake of just prolonging the story when it should’ve ended like maybe ten chapters ago. Drama should just stop when you feel like you need to create some just to keep the story going after a really nice resolution that could’ve been a nice ending.

Within the first three chapters. Just show that maybe there’s more to look forward to like a teaser to a bigger mystery in a small town or a teaser of an upcoming antagonist just to keep readers hooked.

I like 10-30 chapters max. I think that’s long enough for a story to go on unless it has like multiple seasons with different plots and whatever. Sometimes stories can go on for so long when it should’ve just ended earlier and it’s just a never ending cycle of shallow misunderstandings or obstacles and then brief, short-lived resolutions. It gets tiring.

Episode stories don’t have to be meaningful but I do appreciate it when stories may address issues like mental illness, racism, sexism, etc. I think they can be kind of uncommon, and stories with good portrayal of serious issues can be rare. But really, overall, as long as they don’t share any negative messages, it doesn’t matter.

3 Likes

bump

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.