Episode FEATURED story uses a star of david necklace on a non jewish character

There are a plentiful amount of threads like this, I support then all!

1 Like

There’s a lot of meaning behind the star of david symbol, the Holocaust, Israel’s flag. It’s named after David from the bible. So it shouldn’t be used like any other necklace or something like that. I’m not religious and it still bothers me.

8 Likes

Are you sure she wasn’t Jewish?
That’s the problem with non-Jews adding Jewish people to stories. They sometimes don’t know much about them. Sometimes it’s just for likes and makes no difference in the story.
There was one featured story where a supporting character makes a throwaway line about being “Asian and Jewish” for comedic effect and that’s it. Her faith/ethinticity is never mentioned again. It’s very easy to miss. Also the dating one, if you the guy you date mentions Christmas, you can say you’re jewish. But you have the option of not. So, if you don’t pick it you’re not Jewish?
I haven’t added much Jewish characters in my stories, not because of lack of diversity, but fear of getting it wrong and offending. The Jewish characters I do add are background characters or have a short chat with the mc.
One I did add for my comedy “The Dating Game”. You can chose to date a Jewish guy who wears a yamukle. Nothing is really different other than if you order pork, he rolls his eyes and at the end, he breaks up because you won’t convert (people in this game break up for ANY kind of reason.) I chose not to explicitly mention it as I don’t want to offend by muddling it up. Even still, I’m worried I offended. It’s a delicate subject.
I’m not defending the writer, but maybe she is unaware of what it means? I don’t know any Jewish people, but I do know what it mean (I watch a lot of tv). It could be that she lives where there are not many Jewish people and isn’t fully educated in these things. Maybe she could think Star of David is like that necklace in Titanic.
Maybe send her a message or leave her a polite fanmail informing her about this. It may not be ignorance. She may not use the forums.

2 Likes

This is an episode original, so sending them a message only guarantees that you’ll get the same copied & pasted email. They were the ones to CREATE this necklace. I’d understand if it was a community author, but as a team, they should be ashamed. There’s literally no way to sugar coat this.

5 Likes

This could be a possibility, but if it is, she’s very ignorant of an author. The necklace clearly implies something religious. No other clothing asset has a name like David in it, and that name is very specific. Let alone have a necklace named the Star of David. I’m not Jewish, but a little research would have been much more easing because authors should always do research if unclear of any potential religious or cultural assets in episode

7 Likes

Yep. The original story is “The mafia and his angel” and it wasn’t used there, only in the featured version.

Why am I not surprised? :flushed: When it comes to featured stories they literally do anything

Then she shouldn’t use it? We’re talking about an adult who works for episode. The featured stories are coded by the episode team. They created this necklace.
And it’s literally named STAR OF DAVID you don’t have to be a history genius to know what it is :grimacing: and even if you don’t, the name is enough for you to know that it’s not a regular necklace.

9 Likes

But about the writer? Could it be possible if even if she is a featured writer she doesn’t understand. I just want to tick all the boxes first

1 Like

When episode buys a story, the original writer isn’t the one writing it, they’re not even included in the writing process, it’s their team. I do not blame the author for this because she didn’t know. The episode team should know better. Again, they CREATED the necklace.

9 Likes

The necklace in titanic was called heart of ocean. It could be possible that they didnt think about any religious aspects of this necklace. It seems odd that someone could be so ignorant about Judiasim, but not everyone does. When I see my religion (catholic) shown on Episode it’s always grossly innaccurate (obsessed, prays almost constantly, rosary beads, confession, ecch)

So, she’s his Jewish angel? Sorry couldn’t resist :wink:

1 Like

Know, but I’m assuming there would be a large staff and the ones who created probably wouldn’t be the same who bought it. I’m just saying I do t think it was done with malice intent. Who knows?

Episode never fails to disappoint :wink:

6 Likes

I’m sure they didn’t mean to be disrespectful, but tbh, I don’t care. As a company, they should know better. If the team who is in charge of making outfits wasn’t a part of writing the story (which makes sense), they should still educate the other teams what they should or shouldn’t use and for each character.

5 Likes

Personally I’ve seen worse. I saw a story about a mc which she was Jewish then was later seen wearing a cross. That was cringeworthy.

2 Likes

They probably didn’t see or review it properly.
If so it’s carelessness on their part. I mean Chain Reaction broke several rules but was featured for ages. I think the review people may be the bad guys here, not the writer, but who knows.

Again are we 100% sure this character is not Jewish? Jews are allowed to be associated with the mafia. There have been many Jewish gangsters Bubsy Siegel, Myre Lansky. Maybe the word mafia is inbaccuate?

The character isn’t Jewish, that’s for sure. We did our research

1 Like

Maybe the character is Jewish, but it should be clearly implied or stated so it doesn’t offend anyone.
But I’d say it would have to be on both parts. If the author wasn’t obliviously using other religious assets without being educated, this story wouldn’t have offended anyone. If the review team actually did their job well, the featured version wouldn’t offend anyone

2 Likes

Ok. But just for arguements sake for some people here that have read the story, what disqualifies her from being Jewish? I just want to know.

My ethnically jewish ass would love to see genuine jewish representation :((

6 Likes

My friend Laor read the entire original version of the story. The character’s parents both aren’t Jewish, the character never brings up Jewish holidays/events and brings up Christian ones multiple times.

2 Likes

Maybe. But I think a lot of people want to show Jewish people as similar as the next. I personally don’t go around announcing I’m Catholic all the time, I’m my stories I don’t even mention it until the sequel. I mean I never would have guessed that character in the featured dating one was Jewish until the last line, but that’s another story