Episode is Updating Our Content Guidelines

I have a question for everyone, please answer. :heart:

Would you rather see this app stays for mature writers and readers and that they build new app just for “kids”?

• That would be perfect!
  • Definitely not!

0 voters

3 Likes

I think the new cursing rule was the most eye-catching rule for a lot of people, and in turn they started to pay attention to the other guidelines.
That, or the sections such as for sexual content is more specific

10 Likes

I’m so confused!
Why was this approved today if the guidelines were updated yesterday?

What the hell is happening with the team?

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m not fond of that particular rule. You’re probably right that it just got people who previously didn’t pay attention to the guidelines to look at them more closely. As the forum’s resident consent police, I guess I was somewhat familiar with them already.

4 Likes

True.

I get Episode doing a ‘big overhaul’ to actually be suited for younger audiences, but as other users already said earlier swearing is the least of their problems. People are generally fine with the old 5 swears per scene thing

3 Likes

on the bright side I assume the bleeping means we can now use more than five.

3 Likes

I’m happy with the rules as a whole I just think there really needs to be more clarification in certain aspects.

2 Likes

I also wish Episode would create some way to let us know stories have been: guideline approved.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think that’s my main concern… in the effort to eliminate problematic content, other content that isn’t necessarily harmful could get caught in the crossfire just because it’s “mature.”

However, I do think emphasizing that the stories should be suitable for 13-year olds is a little different from saying everything in the app must now be aimed at 13-year-olds. A lot of PG-13 movies don’t have a target audience of middle schoolers. They are just “safe” for interested middle schoolers to see. The same applies here.

9 Likes

Like many others have said the guidelines are literally almost the same. I don’t understand why so many people are complaining and acting like the guidelines are “all new” and the most horrible thing to befall Episode when they have been there since the beginning and every author has (presumably) read before they started writing.

Though to be honest, I can agree that I’m not particularly keen about the * on swear words, not being able to depict abuse or torture (I assume this means having it in your story even if it isn’t promoting it), and the gun ban on the covers. I’m hoping that we are able to discuss with Episode more about this and see if they are willing to consider changes cause imo it’s still PG-13.

12 Likes

It would make it easier for them (and for us, too) since the content is already given here. :roll_eyes: It would take less efforts to develop a new app for the younger ones. But I understand their concerns since the app is known as PG-13, so they can’t just switch to 16/18+ out of the blue… :S

And btw everyone should read @Cee’s comments before getting a heart attack. :smiley:

10 Likes

I’m happy about these updated guidelines because:

1. Bye-bye all those stories in the trending section that feature graphic sexual positions and whatnot.

2. Maybe now stories with actual plots could come to the forefront instead of those stories that gain MILLIONS of reads within weeks just because they promise smexy times :roll_eyes:

3. It seems like everyone’s on an even playing field now!

So, in conclusion, I’m happy! Of course, it’ll mean a LOT of established and popular authors are going to be put through the wringer because they’re gonna have so much to revise and edit in compliance with the new guidelines.

17 Likes

Dear God the majority of those need to be mowed down, period :imp:

2 Likes

Me waving goodbye to all the authors leaving because their stories can’t have what they also couldn’t have like a year ago:

15 Likes

Me preparing for my reign as EpiQueen when all these people quit or get the boot:

12 Likes

I also think it’s easier to create new and clean, than fixing for years behind

2 Likes

I actually prefer the asterisks on curse words because that means infinite amounts of swearing… good enough for me :relieved:

But it’d be nice to be able to make a choice, if you chose no asterisks, you can only use 5 curse words per episode. I think that would be more preferred. And, well, there really isn’t any difference between using fuck & f*ck since the reader still gets the same message. lolololol

17 Likes

I also just realised this mean there is going to be more pressure and attention on trending stories with questionable content. Not saying most of them and their authors should be condemned, but it’s finally nice to see our talk about Episode hypocrisy being addressed

10 Likes

I Guess that makes sense, what a cool loophole :fist:

3 Likes

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Naked shower scenes, people sitting on top of one another kissing in their tighty whities, falling in love with your family members, and sexually motivated scenes (especially non-consensual!) is NOT what I would consider appropriate for a 13 year old! This is soooooooooooo appreciated!

For those who are upset, did you take this into consideration?:
Did you all miss the part where they mentioned A NEW APP with OLDER TEENS as the target audience? For those of you who enjoy writing those “riskier” stories… you may just be getting a new platform! So, although the rules have “changed” and Episode has promised to strictly enforce those rules, they are also actively contemplating a NEW APP so you can continue to write what you love and they can happily please their large amount of readers who have an interest in stories like these!

Lets not forget:
The app is for people as young as 13 years old. We really need to remind ourselves of this before we start hating on the updated guidelines and uptick in enforcement. We have a responsibility to provide content that is appropriate for the age limits and guidelines we have been given, especially when we are writing for youngins’

12 Likes