Episode Needs This in the Guidelines

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation

The above was taken from Wattpad and it is a great way to keep people on track. Episode needs to take a leaf out of Wattpad’s book.

34 Likes

Bump

bump

I have never heard of knee-jerk contradiction. What does that mean? Can you also give me an example?

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s where you just feel the need to contradict someone just for the sake of being difficult and/or if you dislike them

4 Likes

Oh okay

Well, that’s basically saying you can’t have your opinion. And people say some pretty messed up things that any normal person wouldn’t agree with, like “being gay is wrong” and “abortion isn’t murder” both of those claims are outright ridiculous.

1 Like

No offense but I disagree massively. For one, even as someone who disagrees with abortion, it isn’t murder. Acting like people who disagree with you are ridiculous is not fair. Also, there’s no need to bring that into this. I mean, this isn’t about abortion. This is about the Episode guidelines.

But lastly, the guidelines on Wattpad specifically say you’re allowed to criticise ideas and not people. You’re allowed to have an opinion, as long as you’re not making things personal or being offensive. That’s what an opinion is.

18 Likes

Also, personally I think it’s really rude to say that anyone who doesn’t agree with you isn’t a “normal person” or is “ridiculous”. That is name-calling and an ad hominem attack. You can disagree with someone without being mean or rude!

15 Likes

Support

2 Likes

yes, yes, yes yes yes yes yes

one thousand times yes in every language possible

and why do I feel like I had all of these thrown at me :joy:

4 Likes

I’ll admit, I did this probably, but it was more of trolling than arguing, just light-hearted trolling (not name calling, more of the old funny troll things)

And I got flagged for it, but it was deserved :joy:

4 Likes

This.

5 Likes

Bump.

The day this stops, will be the day world peace will happen.

2 Likes

So need.
Bump.

2 Likes

I would maybe pick a better example? People are entitled to their opinions.

greatly needed :+1: great idea

1 Like