Episode's 2017 Diversity Standards

This! I hate it when they think that. I am Muslim and I do not wear no Hijab. It’s a personal choice. However, we wear it in the Mosque. We are supposed to there. Other places is more of an option.

They don’t write Muslim MCs because they don’t want to educate themselves on their religion and culture

Fr :roll_eyes:

I know!!! I love learning about religions instead of believing what people thought me. Why cant everyone do the same :thinking:

Atleast you understand. I wish I could say the same for others.

This is the main reason in my story I made the MC muslim

Tbh, I kinda rather people not write about women in Hijab if they don’t research. The beach episode is always a disappointment :upside_down_face:

I’d be interested in, someday, writing a story with an MC that is Muslim or just another religion than Christian. I’m thinking of doing a story with like 6 MCs so I could definitely do it there

Also I’m glad you brought up the modesty issue, because deadass I got so confused since my Muslim friends irl wear vests and stuff. Some people here imply that all Muslim characters should wear a hijab and keep everything covered

I want to inform people but someone opened a thread about Jewish representation and some people turned it into drama and played the “no one uses religion in stories anyway” card. Lmao this community is something

Religion isn’t usually explictly mentioned in most stories, but whenever it is, 99% of the time it’s about Christianity

We are supposed to dress modestly, that’s why. Although there are some Muslims that don’t do so, it states in the Qu’ran we must:

Tell the believing men that they shall subdue their eyes (and not stare at the women), and to maintain their chastity. This is purer for them. God is fully Cognizant of everything they do.
And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their. They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake and reveal certain details of their bodies. All of you shall repent to God, O you believers, that you may succeed.* (24:30-31)

It does not require women to cover our hair, however, to rather dress modestly and “to cover her chest.”

Um, I use “God”, and I’m Muslim. Plus, I refuse to wear a hijab outside of a mosque, because it’s a silent protest against sexism. For/Towards certain cultures. But I dress modestly.

It’s usually Protestant Christianity. I would love to see a Catholic in a story, too, for a change!

Just want to step in to say that I’m aromantic acespec (spectrum of asexuality) and I have no issue whatsoever writing heated passion between heterosexual people or LGBT people. It’s seriously not hard at all. You have a tiny bit researches to make but like it’s really not complicated at all.
You just have to imagine it in your head as something that would make you passionate and for the feeling of love thinking about your love for your friends but a bit more intense.
So no I don’t think it’s hard for a straight person to write a passionnate relationship between LGBT people because LGBT people never had any difficulties ever to write straight relationships.
That’s kind of a lie you tell yourself (or society tells you I don’t know) like honestly just try to imagine a romance between LGBT people in your head for like 10 minutes. It’s really easy.

It’s not hard at all! :roll_eyes: You are exactly right

Agreed. When I was straight I had no problem, now I am not and my writing is still the same for LGBT.

Same with adding the relationships. It’s not hard either.

Again, sorry for misunderstanding. Thank you for replying in a sensible way. I won’t contribute to this argument again and my main argument is that authors should be able to have some creative freedom and not be forced to write in diversity (except for the background) In what you said, I suppose it’s easy for some people but it’s just hard for people to transition and imagine. I don’t know how to say this exactly. You may be right, really, and I have no counterargument of any sort. Well, thank you for taking your time anyways, and I’m sorry if you’re frustrated at me. Anyhow, how make some good points.

You can also read the LGBT story. I mean I read romance novel all the time and I am not interested in living a romantic relationsip. I read it because I think the characters are super cute and sometimes it’s funny and interesting. Can’t you read it for the same reasons ? I mean I’m sure there’s a lot of story you read where you didn’t 100% relate with the MC or their adventures why would it matter to relate to their straightness and straight relationship ?
Also real actual advice if you have a hard time writing representation just make your characters really complex and realistic (with a lot of flaws) so if you mess up the representation a bit it can be seen as your character messing up. If you focus on their character instead of what type of diversity and symbol they are you’re allowed to make mistake because hey your character does to.