Episode's 2017 Diversity Standards

Yes girl! :clap:t3:

3 Likes

Writing LGBTQ characters is not difficult if you do your researchā€¦ I mean, weā€™re all more similar than we are different, really. Thatā€™s the beauty of humanity: we can live pretty harmoniously if we focus on the fact that weā€™re all humans.

But saying that, research is key. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m holding out when it comes to writing a transgender MC until I can sit down with a few people who are trans and ask them all the questions I need to. I find it easier writing trans friends at the moment because I HAVE trans friends, haha.

I guess what Iā€™m saying is itā€™s not that difficult to write diverse side characters if youā€™re surrounded by diversity. I mean, your side character isnā€™t going to get the same inner development as the MC. However, to get an MC right, you need to be able to understand a lot more.

7 Likes

I love seeing well-written transgender MCs. Theyā€™re so rare, though. Donā€™t hesitate to DM me with any questions you have, though (but also acknowledge that every trans person has a different story, so it will be good to get multiple perspectives).

8 Likes

Eh, ever since this post has been created Iā€™ve been stalking it obsessively while patiently waiting for these exciting new ā€˜diverseā€™ stories Episode has been supposedly working on to come out. I really had to refrain myself from commenting so many times mainly because I always find it hard to share my thoughts publicly without offending anyone or Iā€™ll just feel dumb cause there are a shit ton of intelligent people in this community making all these great points and Iā€™ll just end up agreeing and not saying anything lol.

Anyway, I kind of just want to share my thoughts, analysis and experiences about this whole topic ever since Iā€™ve been using the app (and thatā€™s a long ass time). Itā€™ll be a bit of a sappy personal post addressing some things about my own story too as I saw it mentioned several times in this thread. In no way is this like a ā€˜negative responseā€™ or whatever. I just think it serves a good example.

Iā€™d like to start off from the very start, which is at the same time where it all began for me. In late 2013 which is when Episode first launched their app, the writer portal was obviously very primitive and the community was super tiny. There was no Trending Section and in order to get your story visibly on the app for all users to see, youā€™d have to get your story featured (which included a whole process of getting it officially reviewed, receiving feedback from Episode themselves over email etc and they were very picky obviously on what stories to feature). The app was pretty diverse when it first started, featuring stories of a variety of genres like fantasy, adventure, drama, thriller & action and it was just awesome.

Then, the time finally came when I first started writing my own story. Iā€™d like to quickly add that I was, like what, 13/14 years old? Fresh in high school and had very few knowledge about the world as I was literally a fetus. Another fun fact is that Iā€™m Asian, however born and raised in Europe. When it came to culture, I never really felt like I had one of them. It was hard for me to identify myself (too Asian to be white, too foreign in Asia sort of thing) so my cultural knowledge was small back then. America was ā€˜newā€™ to me entirely, but most stories seemed to be set in that part of the world (besides the occasional local books I had to read for school assignments of course) so I more or less just wrote about the same repetitive cultures I read about in other stories. This lack of knowledge clearly showed in my own story, and again, Iā€™m just bringing up my story because it still gets mentioned everywhere up till this day (not mad, just saying).

My point: the reason why a lot of stories on the app arenā€™t diverse isnā€™t because we donā€™t want to, but because some of us havenā€™t reached a point in our life yet where weā€™re educated enough (for the record, I have now. this was just a reference/example to a lot of young writers/readers on this app). Episode is an app targeting a more younger audience, generally speaking, so instead of focusing on pointing out everything that is wrong with someoneā€™s story, we should focus on educating each other. Just putting this out here because thereā€™s a lot of negativity and bashing when it comes to sensitive topics like diversity.

a lil backstoryā€¦
I started writing my story for fun - it was like a game to me. I had it be about high school + crushes, parties and a typical teenage MC. Did I know anything about professional storytelling? Heck no. Was my story purely created for entertainment with no solid or epic plot line, character development and the list goes on? Hell ya.

The story that I wrote is now very infamously known in the community as Tangled Love. Turned out, back in 2014 my story was somehow liked by a lot of people on the forums (which was your only source of readers back then). It was seen as ā€˜refreshingā€™ and ā€˜relatableā€™, something Episode didnā€™t have much of back then because the romance genre was far from their main focus, let alone teen fiction. I want to point out that my story was initially rejected to be featured, but after months of simply letting time pass by and me sharing my story on the forums, doing reads for reads (not for actual reads tho lol but simply because it was fun) with my online friends - Episode eventually reached out to me and asked if they could feature it.

It wasnā€™t the quality. It was the popularity.

Up until this day, although the story isnā€™t necessarily original (if it was ever lol fk you get the point) nor is it on the home page anymore (I think?) many people still know about it. Not for its quality, but because Episode has held onto it for so long. The reason is, Iā€™m sure, because it did so well among its users. I canā€™t say this without cringing a bit but Iā€™m gonna spit it out: I think itā€™s safe for me to say that they profited a lot from it, whether that be financially or promotionally. I think a lot of authors that we see these days ranking high in the Trending Section (romance category particularly) have one way or another, indirectly or not, found out why a story like mine is so likeable for the majority of the Episode readers. This includes all users of the app, not just the active ones or ā€˜forumersā€™. Hence, you see those stories flock like 80% of the app and I wouldnā€™t be surprised if some of the writers do it for the money and fifteen minutes of fame only.

ANYWAY HOW ALL THIS CRAP LINKS BACK TO THE RELEVANCE OF THIS TOPICā€¦
is that I hope that it gives you a little bit of an insight on how Episode works. Sure, many people have already mentioned how Episode is a business at the end of the day and needs to make money - duh. But itā€™s not just that. Itā€™s also that so many users are simply asking if not demanding for it that they simply canā€™t turn their backs on those requests. Itā€™s the type of content the users want, and thatā€™s why Episode has taken such a drastic turn since and started focusing on the type of stories that just do well. Itā€™s what sells, and itā€™s of course what every company selling whatever product does.

HOWEVER by no means am I done yet. This was just an introduction to my point. Apologies for the irrelevant background info. I talk a lot, Iā€™m sorry. Letā€™s just get straight to the point. Iā€™ve jotted all remaining things I wanted to say below:

• For one, Episode definitely needs to expand their range of featured stories. Like back in the days, they should feature stories from all genres. The majority can be romance, thereā€™s no changing that in the way current things stand. It simply gets the most reads and itā€™s not because they promote it so much - the other way around even. They promote is so much because it simply does well. But still, why is romance the only one? Just no. Quick thought, itā€™s not even romance - more like teen fiction. hint hint new category? on a side note tho: the weekly or monthly featured shelves have been a huge step in the right direction. letā€™s keep hoping for more!
  • Iā€™ve learned many things the hard way, and now that Iā€™m at a point in my life where I understand most common issues I was told to neglect when I was younger - I realize the value of the journey of a story like Tangled Love and how it puts things into perspective. It was a flawed product but it sold. Therefore, products like that will never be erased. In everyday life not, and on Episode not. I see the most cliche stories having over a million reads, written by someone probably not older than 15 and then I read a completely enthralling story with just over a few K reads. The same way we have Musically kids become super famous in 2 days and then we have that one person out there with a golden voice who receives nowhere near that much recognition in all the years he or she has followed classes etc because of so and so. Itā€™s sad, but itā€™s a sort of mechanism that will never go away. I know we all want it. It just all seems unfair and so easy to solve, but itā€™s not.
  • When it comes to diversity though, someone already pointed out that everyone sort of has a different view on what they expect from it. For most, diversity is as simple as seeing everyone as equal - or different in a good way, that we all shine in our own ways. But then thereā€™s the problem of seeing everyone as equal, but not being actually inclusive in a sense. Or the lack of knowledge about other peopleā€™s cultures or sexuality if you count those in too and how it results in stereotyping and offensive portrayal of it. The list could go on and on. Personally, I feel like we shouldnā€™t put so much emphasis on diversity and put it in the context of it being a whole special kind of thing, but rather try to be as inclusive as possible and in this way ensure that ā€˜equalityā€™ results in ā€˜inclusivityā€™ so that it becomes a natural habit to create a black character with the possible personality traits of any other white character out there. But then again, diversity has grown into this very term because itā€™s a real burning issue in society and it would feel bad to not put as much emphasis on the word and meaning behind it itself? I guess the first is an ideal, and the latter is reality. Iā€™m struggling with this one myself. Itā€™s hard as there are so many different views and opinions on this, its usage and solutions.
  • I know that my fetus-self wasnā€™t the greatest when it came to diversity. In Tangled Love, I guess the characters look sorta different-ish? I created some characters with the intent of them to be Asian-American, for example. But then I never brought forward their ethnicity or parts of their culture, not in a single dialogue. Characters were mostly one-dimensional and itā€™s one of the many things Iā€™ve worked the hardest on to improve. You donā€™t need to tell their whole family history or give them a tour through China, but little things like cultural dishes that the characters get served for dinner at home (based on their ethnicity of course) will go a long way.

idk what the point of this post was i just typed it all out and itā€™ll probably be removed by tomorrow lol peace.

13 Likes

I just want to say this post sent me on a huge nostalgia trip :joy: Made me want to look up old stories like ā€œThe Betā€, ā€œThe Dareā€, and ā€œDripping Mascaraā€ which were all popular when I joined the app.

3 Likes

@Mei, I was not going to contribute any longer to this thread, but, wow, I honestly have so much respect for you since you wrote such a long post. Your work for writing this is appreciated, and I now understand more about why featured stories are featured and points of views. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

4 Likes

Aw, thank you so much!! Your hours spent into sharing your knowledge and viewpoints on this thread are definitely being appreciated up till this day too (learned so much honestly). Again, thank you!! Didnā€™t expect such a positive response :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Haunted: Shroud

6 Likes

Oh my god donā€™t start about Dripping Mascara that story is a legendary piece of pure art. But yeah I feel you!! So many OG stories itā€™s funny to think back about those timesā€¦ :rofl:

I vaguely remember an Amber from the old forums, could it be you?? When did you join Episode? :thinking: not trying to sound creepy heheh.

3 Likes

I never actually read Dripping Mascara when I joined, but I frickin loved The Bet and itā€™s sequel. I want to read it now though! Itā€™s been on my list for a while.

I doubt Iā€™m that Amber :joy: I never used that name on the old forums, but I donā€™t the exact year I joined, just sometime right be INK was released.

3 Likes

Really? Iā€™m gonna check it out!

3 Likes

Waiting for Episodeā€™s diversity ā€œstandardsā€ like

a57

21 Likes

You know, Episode, you keep coming up with this: ā€œWe are planning to improve in diversityā€, yet you couldnā€™t even dress a Hijabi women right. Plus, we shouldnā€™t HAVE to address you on this at ALL! It should have been fixed and done properly! If you canā€™t do this right, how do you expect us to have so much faith youā€™d do the Jewish community correctly? You already made one of them a villain in Positively Princess. A dumb, messed up stereotype you put upon. How is that improving? How do we expect youā€™ll do a Buddhist right? Hinduism correctly? Sikhism? You canā€™t even do a Muslim and a Jew good. Nor have you given us much stuff to represent them, just a very small amount of stuff.

Along with Natural and Afro hair for black characters. You gave us a very small amount. Same with Indian clothing. :roll_eyes: I just want to say: Why do we need to ask and point this stuff out when you claimed to be diverse and ā€œa app for everyone?ā€ You are not improving, you are still in the same position over and over again for years. You just gave us a little strip off the back, thatā€™s it. This was posted last year and 2018 is already about to end, you still havenā€™t done that much. You keep giving us stereotypes of minority communities, representing us/them wrongly, putting us/them as backgrounders, etc. This shouldnā€™t be an issue if you are a ā€œOh so Diverseā€ app. Itā€™s really sad honestly. We shouldnā€™t be limited. Represent EVERYONE or atleast a decent amount of us/them. We want characters with Mental illnesses, disabilities, skin diseases, many other diseases, different sexualities, etc. The same ā€œsex driven, white, cisgender, straightā€ Mc is not getting us anywhere to diverse PERIOD! And how is token stereotypical characters close to it?

:woman_facepalming:t5: What did they call him? A GBF? Gay Best Friendā€¦:unamused: Seriously giving the LGBT+ community labels? As if they are a object to you.

Anyway, token characters do not equal diversity. Just slapping a over-used, offensive stereotype on them isnā€™t even close. The point is to do it correctly and not for recognition or ā€œjust to be thereā€. We are not objects, we are people. If you canā€™t represent other people, than you clearly are in the wrong and need to have a big improvement. You still in that low position of it and doing very little to fix it.

28 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: honestly when I saw the hijabi like this (Positively Princess right? idk all featured stories are generically the same) i busted out laughing. so absurdā€¦

2 Likes

It was from a sneak peak of the 10th episode for K*ss List. On Episodes Instagram storyā€¦:woman_facepalming:t5: Like they could have pointed that out themselves?! They took the pic!

4 Likes

To be honest, they donā€™t even know how tiaras work despite the fact that theyā€™ve done multiple stories about being a princess. Tiaras arenā€™t worn by unmarried women, princess or not. So Iā€™m really not surprised they canā€™t fathom the hijab

12 Likes

I donā€™t get the logic behind them thinking that women would cover their hair but not their arms.

If hair is seen as beautiful enough to deserve covering, why wouldnā€™t bare skin be?

11 Likes

Cause they are idiots and donā€™t have common sense.

4 Likes

Episode. What kind of bullshit??

1 Like

2018 and they STILL havenā€™t gotten it rightā€¦sighā€¦

12 Likes