Episodes Discrimination between Community and Paid Authors and Offical App Stories

Hi, I have been with Episode for 8 Years and I can’t believe some of the stuff thats happening last I checked if a background gets approved its deemed fit to be in the story so once the story is published and Episode reviews it how is it fair to un-approve paid artwork, when Paid authors have far more explicit art in their stories, another thing how can we get flagged for alcohol consumption when Episode literally has props that contain alcohol!

Episode has definitely changed drastically the last few years and tbh its quite sad, us community authors make them money with our stories and yet we’re the ones penalised because we don’t have Episodes favour, if you remove stories before they have a chance how are they going to get anywhere, the themes covered by most community authors are no different to what these 12+ year olds are exposed to on social media (SOCIAL MEDIA IS WORSE AND GRAPHIC). The comparrison social media literall nudes, animal abuse, crimes and deaths recorded and shared publicy. episode stories, characters wearing the episode bra piece in an art scene that shows no explicit themes? which is worse episode loosing your community authors to a competing app or adjusting your view point to allow authors to progress with their stories?

Anyone else feel this way?
If this has happened to you or a friend please comment the situation below this way Episode might start to understand the lack of communication and the discrimination is ruining a good app.

Something for EPISODE to think about

• How do your stories fit in with the media explicity today compared to the standards you hold us community authors too

• This is a repeat of what happened years ago that caused a massive petition against the app and we won, with the guarantee that this wouldn’t continue.

• It’s hypocritical to diminish stories for alcohol use when your Offical app stories contain it and many other MATURE themes we community authors get removed for.

• Other story apps such as choices are for 12+ and they allow double the content you allow with half the hassle.

• You claim the app is for expressing creative content yet you criticise and remove stories that meet the guidelines and have all the appropriate warnings required for their readers.

• Focus on the stories that cover content that shouldn’t be covered not the stories that are funny, or a nice read before bed. Majority of the stories on the app are nothing compared to the Novels children read like fifty shades of grey and other thirst and sex based stories (Yes 12 year olds read this or they watch the movies with the explicit nudity on streaming services.)

• How does episode enable or aid community authors in progressing their talent and enjoying their hobby when EPISODE are the bullies and the discriminators? (I’d love to see you change the app description to fit the reality of the toxic community you Episode have created, you use us for money and make us hate what was a fun hobby, shamefull and downright abusive.)

28 Likes

Totally agree with you on this one Bridi.
Its just favouritism in this community now, if you’re getting paid to write stories for Episode they will let you off. Those smallers authors who put the exact same thing into their that paid authors do, we get our stories taken off the app and we have to edit OUR work.

My 2 art scenes that i paid for got approved for publishing by Episode themselves hence why i was able to publish. Now that Episode have reviewed my story they’ve rejected those art scenes…confusing isnt the word i would use.

As for alcohol, as you stated they have alcoholic props, but moan to us when we use alcohol in our stories :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

We put all our hard work and effort into our stories, follow their guidelines and yet our stories still get pulled from the app!

5 Likes

Agreed. And I’ve heard of Community stories that suddenly get pulled once they reach a threshold of reads and given orders to cut stuff which is rampant in the paid stories.

5 Likes

This is of concern to me as my published story met guidelines two years ago but probably won’t today. (*”implying that characters have will have or have just had sex”) It’s still up but only because it isn’t popular yet.

And then there’s this, hot off the press from Episode and heavily promoted:

Yep, no sex happened here. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

It’s of concern to all us small authors we help episode make money, we have people that love our stories and episode is more than happy to approve artwork ect but then because they change their minds we’re the one to suffer honestly this is the reason so many people are moving to write for their competitors. theirs no future for small authors writing for fun anymore now its just a stressful process that hinders creative ventures.

5 Likes

I definitely agree. Even in these past few years I’ve seen a LOT of creators leaving episode and going to other apps just because of how unfair it’s been lately. I mean even forums is dead compared to how it used to be. I know a couple authors who worked hard on their stories for years, but due to who knows what episode removed their entire story all their work just GONE. I even took a LOOONG break just because of that.
At this point episode hardly listens to it’s actual community members and I probably would have left as well, awhile ago if I wasn’t hoping there would be some changes because i honestly do love episode.

8 Likes

Also when it comes to approving art scenes it makes no sense. You can submit something once and it gets denied and submit it again and it gets approved there needs to be a more consistent AND fair art approval method because half the time scenes that are denied arent even that bad

6 Likes

I’m exactly the same i’ve made this thread as episode has gone after one of my friends stories (she was in no way explicit or in breach of guidelines) its sad ive been here 8 years and thats after taking a 2 year break because I was appaled by episodes actions.

4 Likes

Exactly and they shouldnt approve it then wait for you to publish before they decide it’s not fit with guidelines and then unapprove it once the story is published its low petty move on their part.

4 Likes

I’m sorry that happen to your friend that would make me sooo angry if it happen to me personally. We shouldn’t have to be so worried about how we write our stories when there are actual featured stories that show stuff thats WAY inappropriate ive seen one with SA :grimacing:

EXACTLY once art is approved it should STAY approved!! It takes time and money to get art scenes and for them to just unapprove a scene are taking HOURS to just approve it, it just makes me so upset!

6 Likes

They dont care who theyre hurting as long as they get their money.
Now the story off the ranks and im dreading the next email theyre gonna send :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes

Something for EPISODE to think about

• How do your stories fit in with the media explicity today compared to the standards you hold us community authors too

• This is a repeat of what happened years ago that caused a massive petition against the app and we won, with the guarantee that this wouldn’t continue.

• It’s hypocritical to diminish stories for alcohol use when your Offical app stories contain it and many other MATURE themes we community authors get removed for.

• Other story apps such as choices are for 12+ and they allow double the content you allow with half the hassle.

• You claim the app is for expressing creative content yet you criticise and remove stories that meet the guidelines and have all the appropriate warnings required for their readers.

• Focus on the stories that cover content that shouldn’t be covered not the stories that are funny, or a nice read before bed. Majority of the stories on the app are nothing compared to the Novels children read like fifty shades of grey and other thirst and sex based stories (Yes 12 year olds read this or they watch the movies with the explicit nudity on streaming services.)

• How does episode enable or aid community authors in progressing their talent and enjoying their hobby when EPISODE are the bullies and the discriminators? (I’d love to see you change the app description to fit the reality of the toxic community you Episode have created, you use us for money and make us hate what was a fun hobby, shamefull and downright abusive.)

I’ll reiterate the points here for epsidoe to truly understand (I have no issue reviewing all your paid and offical stories to find the guideline breaches you take our stories down for, I have no issue raising this issue further and moving my loyalties to another app the mistreatment has run its course and we’re all sick of it. get off the power trip humble yourselves and do the right thing or watch the app crumble (NO ONE LIKES THE OFFICAL STORIES THEY SUCK.) community authors make your app lose us u have nothing.

11 Likes

I must have missed this, but honestly? We may need to bring this back.

Episode seems to be forgetting that the community of creators and readers made the app what it is. It’s not fair to hold us to different rules on the same app. The rules are in place to keep the app safe for its audience. (Did you know that Episode is categorized and marketed as an app for people as young as 12 and 13?) Their hypocrisy is defeating the purpose of those rules.

And I have to wonder if they’re doing this to make it impossible for community authors to have successful stories if there’s little for Episode to gain from said works. It’s become more and more difficult for creators to have their stories reach potential readers without tons of gem choices and social media promo.

Another gripe of mine is the art releases. Sure, there have been some gems here and there, but all the releases have been boring, incohesive, not on-theme, or just unusable. In the past, art releases were weekly; they’d include one or two hairstyles, enough clothing items to create a few mix-and-match outfits, and the occasional background. While I don’t expect frequent releases with tons of items, the current art releases could be a lot better.

Call me bitter, but Episode is falling from the glory it once had. : /

7 Likes

This is exactly why I’m worried about continuing my story. I’ve been on episode for 5-6 years. When I first downloaded the app, the original app stories weren’t too bad, they were at least entertaining.
Now that the guidelines have changed to include 13 year olds for absolutely no reason (their highest demographic being adults! 19-24, 13 year olds aren’t even in the top 3!) the app has lost its appeal.

This app isn’t for kids plain and simple, episodes competitors are rated 16-17+ for good reason.
Catering to a demographic you do not have and aren’t meant for is stupidity . It’s very hypocritical of them to ignore their own guidelines in crappy stories that have toxic dynamics in them and are all the same cookie cutter mid story, then turn around and take down our stories for the same thing.

Don’t get me wrong, we should be able to write stories on the app that have more mature themes. (The story I’m currently writing is supposed to be dark but I’m afraid I won’t be able to portray it the way I want because of the arbitrary guidelines.) I would move to a competitor in .2sec but the problem is episode still has qualities that their competitors don’t.
It’s sad that I’ll have to copy my coding/writing onto a google doc so If they take my story down I’ll still have it, but what’s the point if I can’t use it anywhere else.

Episode could do so much better but they refuse to, and it will (if it’s not already) cost them money.
Community authors and readers are the life of episode, at a certain point if nothing changes we’ll leave and that will be the end of episode… Leaving someone else to take their place.

8 Likes

WELL SAID!! another thing what bothers me is for your story to be approved it needs to stay in the top 100 for a couple days or even weeks. and you need to use gems. i personally hate useing gems but i understand why. but my story has been live for 4 years, i might have taken it off for it to be revamped but in that time it has NEVER been revieuwed. my other story WICH WAS ON A SHELF, has never been revieuwed en approved either. im not as big as the other authors wich i get but staying in that top 100 and getting gems is freaking hard. i might wait for another 4 years before it even gets to the 1000 reads or even approved and revieuwed. and also all WELL SAID! i have been readinf since 2016 and writing since 2020 and the the changed that happend then were so much like seriously. its sad for the authors who have been here for years and the new once too. love the big authors but come one episode!

1 Like

So true! Same thing happened to me before with Backgrounds! I would upload two backgrounds, day and night versions. Only one got approved while the other (literally the same picture, just darker!) would not :woman_facepalming: How does that even make sense!?

3 Likes

It’s really sad to see how Episode is literally destroying it’s own app and community!

The immense hypocrisy on Episode’s part infuriates me the most! Featured authors almost enjoy impunity, as can be seen especially in these Mafia & Bad Boy Stories. From objectification, dehumanization, and misogyny to toxic relationships, domestic violence, and SA, it’s all there. Yet, precisely these featured stories are being pushed!

Seriously?! Now you get censored just for using alcohol props?! That really takes the cake! I myself have those beer bottle props in my story… besides, it’s totally exaggerated because they’re designed in a way that it doesn’t even have to be alcohol.

Also, lowering the age limit to 13 leaves a bitter taste, considering that this demographic hardly has any pocket money, yet the app is heavily monetized. Pop-up windows come up everywhere in the app, and if you’re not careful, you can easily make a wrong tap at the wrong pop-up. So much for “protecting” children… and as @Bridi already mentioned, 13-year-olds these days are exposed to the worst filth elsewhere (whether it’s social media or streaming services, not to mention profanities!).

I find it quite telling that Episode has withdrawn significantly since the last contest and no longer communicates with its community! Even the departure of Sydney_H was not communicated but rather came out by chance. Did you already know that we have a new mod, by the way? As much as I revel in schadenfreude, I wonder if the reason we don’t hear from Episode’s leadership anymore is because they’ve also noticed the rising numbers of departing authors and are in some kind of “crisis meeting.” However, I doubt whether anything good will come out of that.

4 Likes

I wonder if Episode had a new CEO lately pushing these ridiculous rules.

3 Likes

This is a very important issue that I find never gets fully addressed. So many community authors have been either silenced or bullied off this platform by Episode. I still remember in 2022 when Episode deleted liawrites (@/baechulgi)'s Glamour with no chance for appeal because of reasons no one understands to this day. I can’t imagine putting years of work into a story, said story getting deleted, and then not even being to advocate for my art afterwards. It would seriously mess with my mental health. Despite what the guidelines and moderators say, community authors have no real control over what they produce.

5 Likes

Absolutely we deserve to have our voices heard and if episode has stories of worse standards why cant we?

1 Like