Establishing Romance In My Story ~ Advice NEEDED

So, I am currently co-writing a story with my best friend luv ya sis and it has been SO fun! It’s a short and sweet story with elements of drama, mystery, and of course… romance.

But I also want to write one of my own, specifically one with rlly good romanceeee!

Now, I understand that nearly 99% of episode stories have at least some sort of romance, but a lot of people love it, I guess, and I am one of those people :joy: Romance isn’t for everyone, and I used to think it was cheesy, too. But after reading some Y/A novels, (*cough cough Sarah Dessen) I’ve realized that it’s growing a lot on me. Now I find myself crying when two Episode character even look at each other :rofl::rofl::rofl:

To make a long story short… I’ve watched YouTube and such on building romance and tension, but something is just different about Episode romance, ya know? Does anyone have any advice or ideas on…

• ways love interests could meet
  • things that can keep two love interests from being together

• things love interests could do together that increase desire and tension

• arguments they could have

• strategies to help the readers immidiately ship my characters lol

• things that make readers wanting more/things that build tension and lust

• I’ve never been in love bare with me cute stuff that couples do/say

• gestures that can express love and/or feelings

• things that send mixed signals to add some confusion… idek man

• last but not least I’ve noticed myself oddly liking cocky/teasing humor between love interests, but I’m anything but cocky, sexy, or funny so plz help bro :joy::joy::joy:

• anything else that you’ve found helps build good romance

5 Likes

Maybe at the beginning make the MC have a bad habit, and then a way they can connect. Perhaps the LI has the same problem, and they go to the same place to escape it? Do you have a story title? That’ll make it easier to come up with something.

1 Like

Not exactly. Usually I just make the story title after I have a somewhat idea of what the plot will be like I guess

1 Like

Me too :joy:
What about a theme?

1 Like

For some reason, I love when the friends ship them. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I wanted the theme to be understanding that your past does not define you. Your idea is actually kinda perfect for this :star_struck::star_struck:

Maybe like, my female MC had a really bad and abusive relationship with her father from a young age, and on top of that was taken advantage of at a party as a younger teen, and struggles trusting people, especially guys because of it. And after the abuse and bad situations, she falls into some sort of addiction or just has really bad behavior, and has to go to some sort of therapy group or something. Have you ever seen the Netflix show “trinkets” if not, this may not make sense, but something like how the girls meet from their support group.

2 Likes

That does sound like it would be cute :sweat_smile:

1 Like

What if the guy does something to accidentally hurt her because of the problem that they share (this would be before they met) and then they end up at the same support group, but neither of them know that it was the other person?

1 Like

Then the guy comforts her and teaches her to trust again.

1 Like

So far, all I had tbh was the abuse part, and learning that your past doesn’t define you. This idea is actually really good wait…

Wait, sorry I’m a bit confused, it sounds like a good idea. Do you mean that like, he says something offensive or something?

(Of course if she falls into some sort of addiction or really just bad behavior, they both have that issue, but I dont exactly understand this part, can you give an example?

1 Like

You mentioned an addiction, right? What if they were both out of it, for one reason or another, such as drugs, and then they get into a car crash or something of the sort?

1 Like

Ohh, that kind of thing. Okay, I get it. Hmm, what would make it so they encounter each other, but don’t remember who they are when they face each other? Maybe if they were like, blacked out or something…

1 Like

Maybe the drugs made them forget?

1 Like

Oooh good idea. I was thinking it would be like, alcohol or something. But honestly although drugs may be a bit more complicated to write about, and need a bit more warnings for sensitivity, I do think it would make a lot of sense. I’ve been watching a TV show kinda like it…

1 Like

You’re right, alcohol would work too…
I think drugs would be if you wanted to make it more serious. But maybe you could have an event that affected both of them- or two separate events- that caused them to spiral downwards after being sober for a while, and then they are able to talk to and comfort each other.

1 Like

Sounds cool! Ok, so I’ll brb gonna draft these ideas

1 Like

JUST IDEAS

• ways love interests could meet: At a restaurant

• things that can keep two love interests from being together: The MC is already dating someone

• things love interests could do together that increase desire and tension: Beach Party, then they go skinny dipping, he saves her from drowning, she is in his arms, and they hug

• arguments they could have: IDK

• strategies to help the readers immidiately ship my characters lol: Make him treat her like a queen, give good narratives of how is looking at her.

• things that make readers wanting more/things that build tension and lust:…

2 Likes

Tysm these are actually great!! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

1 Like

this is just an idea (it might be bad, i’m sorry if it is lol), but you could have it as the MC is part of a rich family/dynasty and is forced to take over and marry someone of their parents choice, but MC falls for someone who their parents don’t approve of.

1 Like

Hmm. How old are your characters and where does it take place? That’s a big influence on all of those things.

1 Like