Expectations of Popular Authors

I agree with you - I personally even do not get how somebody can thing that other people (no matter if sucessful or not) are somehow obligated to do somethin for you.

I mean - what have you done for them, that you think you have some right to requiere something and right to feel offended you did not get it?

Abave all you mentioned - even if they would have the time for it thay simply do not have to! witht any reason or explanation. Nobody has to be forced to explain himself why he is not doing something which he is not obligated to do.

It is actually big arogance of the small authors if they do think the famouse writers have to take them under their wings.

Asking politely is OK, but demandin is not at all OK.

1 Like

Just some notes to some of the comments:

I want to be careful not to call anybody arrogant. I think what happens is there’s a lot of understandable frustration and hurt that goes with pouring all your time and energy into something you love only to see your story ignored, and sometimes that energy gets directed towards the wrong people and turns into resentment and maybe a little bit of entitlement. And many unknown and smaller authors are quite talented and work hard, so I also want to be careful not to imply that they don’t work hard or don’t deserve to be noticed.
I want to be careful not to make anybody feel that their frustration and hurt is invalid. It’s very valid. I understand. I just wanted to take some time to have people pause and think about some of the pressure and expectations that’s been placed on others unfairly. Sometimes it’s good to take a step back and think.
The reality is that this is an oversaturated platform and great stories are going to fall through the cracks. I’m an avid believer that as fellow writers, we should want to help uplift and encourage these authors when we can. However, it’s important to remember that this shouldn’t be expected or demanded automatically from the authors you admire or authors who appear to be doing better than you. There are so many reasons why somebody may not be doing so: limited time, burnout, they are already doing it and it’s never enough, etc. We just don’t know and it’s better not to make assumptions unless it’s been made clear.

I don’t want any smaller authors seeing this thread and feeling discouraged. I’m just asking people to redirect some of that negative energy into something constructive and positive. Instead of placing the burden and responsibility on others, create pages to boost small stories. Create networks to uplift one another. And don’t give up. There are many authors who started out small and stayed small for a long time, but they slowly were noticed as they updated and networked with other people. Some have taken years to get where they are, but they’re where they are now because they persisted in publishing, made connections, and uplifted one another. And ironically, some of these formerly small authors are the very ones that many people are pulling on and trying to climb over and calling selfish.

3 Likes

I find this an odd expectation as well :thinking: I am a reader, if I am not obligated to read and share works of smaller authors (I do if I find something I really enjoyed), I don’t see why a popular author should do so.

Also authors who have regular update schedules (once every week or 2 weeks) spend all their free time writing, they don’t get time to read even their friend’s story let alone of some author who they don’t even know. A few of my author friends don’t even LIKE to read in general. Not to forget that people have preferences in general when it comes to reading (genre, plots, narration style etc) :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Some stories are also just never going to be popular on Episode. Doesn’t matter how much exposure they get or how many people recommend them.
Doesn’t mean they aren’t good stories, they just don’t resonate with the core Episode audience (I have one such story, it was on a shelf, a lot of big authors recommended it. Most of the readers I picked up from my more popular story haven’t read it either. It is what it is).

If getting a lot of reads is someone’s goal (and I don’t think that’s anything to be ashamed of, despite all the people who say “Just write for yourself!”) the best thing they can do is write a “for Episode” story and update it a lot. Not wait around for someone with a lot of followers to recommend them.
A recommendation from a big author can give you a temporary boost, but it’s nothing compared to the reads you can get by crafting a story that’s geared towards the Episode audience.

6 Likes

This is the realization I came to a few years ago. Episode has geared their platform for certain audiences. Due to that, some genres just won’t have the target audience number present on the platform. And Episode isn’t going to change their approach. Coming to this realization brings a lot of peace and helps you not waste time trying to force something that won’t happen. Speaking from experience. It may just be better to find other means of telling your story, or to just be ok with knowing your story will never be popular.

^^^ I just wanted to boost this piece of insight because I think it reflects the reality of Episode’s platform in terms of how limited a big author’s influence really is.

4 Likes

Many people on this thread are trying to unravel the not-so-mysterious origins of the it’s-cool-to-bash-popular-authors trend (spoiler alert: it’s envy, plain and simple :roll_eyes:) but they conveniently choose to forget that there was a time when these authors themselves started out with little less than a 100 reads per week and only got to where they are today because they persevered and actually labored to get themselves noticed. I don’t know, just seemed like something I should point out :woman_shrugging:t5:

I know this thread has mostly focused on how smaller/new authors expect story promotion, etc. But I just realised that when I originally posted on this thread I only spoke about the expectations I felt were being put on myself and after reading my post again, I feel like I’ve missed a really big expectation that I put on other authors.

To start off with, this is something I expect of everyone, and not just the popular or trending authors. It’s an expectation I even put on myself. However I feel like I do judge other authors more harshly on this if their name is well known in the community.

It’s about the guidelines and it’s a two part expectation.
The first side of this is that I expect people to, well, NOT break the episode guidelines intentionally. I know some parts of the guidelines are confusing and thus easy to accidentally break. But there are some that are so clear and when I see someone go against that guideline, it’s disappointing. It’s also kind of obvious when authors do it intentionally too. I feel like I’ve definitely seen a few authors have to amend their stories more than once for the same reasons - for breaking the same guideline. And when it’s someone who’s quite well known, I can’t help but think it’s a bit worrying that they have to be told repeatedly to amend their stories and force us all to reread an episoe😭. It’s actually rather problematic when it’s occurring in a trending story too. If someone updates their story and there’s a scene depicting sex for example, thousands of people will have already read it by the time episode gets around to reviewing it. So in that sense, I do expect popular authors to uphold the guidelines -especially the ones they’re well aware of.

The second part of this expectation is a bit of a continuation. See, I really don’t care who’s story a popular author chooses to promote. But I do care when I see them promote a story that goes against the guidelines too. Even if they themselves write something that is completely above board, using their platform to promote something that breaks the guidelines makes me wince. I know it was mentioned in this thread that a shoutout from a popular author will only give a temporary boost, but it’s a boost nonetheless. I kind of feel guilty when I see a story I was sharing with friends that goes on to do something that I know isn’t allowed :confused: And so of course I look side ways when an author I respect or hold to a high standard is giving a shoutout to a problematic story.

I feel like this expectation is justified(?), but of course, I’m only speaking for myself and I know how the forums loves to tell me that if I don’t like something I should just ignore it or not read it :upside_down_face: lol.

12 Likes

Bump

I think everyone should be treated the same, and I hate that there’s such a divide.
I try not to have expectations of anyone at all. :joy:

1 Like