Expectations of Popular Authors

There is quite a bit of envy in the episode community, and I do sometimes read a story and think “how does this not have more reads, the author deserves better.”
But I think it’s important for people who are envious to step back for a second and look at the bigger picture. Think about how long it took for the author to become popular. This author is out here with almost 100 chapters released, and you’re complaining because nobody has seen your 4? Go promote your story, and work for it.
Being a popular author is something you have to earn.

4 Likes

That’s a good question actually. I think it’s always been seen as a kind gesture because some big authors used to go out of their way to support smaller authors’ stories. That’s how I was “discovered” and I was always eager to pass the favor forward as long as I had the time to do so. But at some point it went from being seen as a kind gesture to an expectation, and I’m not quite sure how. Making it an expectation makes it a lot less genuine.

4 Likes

I agree with you - I personally even do not get how somebody can thing that other people (no matter if sucessful or not) are somehow obligated to do somethin for you.

I mean - what have you done for them, that you think you have some right to requiere something and right to feel offended you did not get it?

Abave all you mentioned - even if they would have the time for it thay simply do not have to! witht any reason or explanation. Nobody has to be forced to explain himself why he is not doing something which he is not obligated to do.

It is actually big arogance of the small authors if they do think the famouse writers have to take them under their wings.

Asking politely is OK, but demandin is not at all OK.

1 Like

Just some notes to some of the comments:

I want to be careful not to call anybody arrogant. I think what happens is there’s a lot of understandable frustration and hurt that goes with pouring all your time and energy into something you love only to see your story ignored, and sometimes that energy gets directed towards the wrong people and turns into resentment and maybe a little bit of entitlement. And many unknown and smaller authors are quite talented and work hard, so I also want to be careful not to imply that they don’t work hard or don’t deserve to be noticed.
I want to be careful not to make anybody feel that their frustration and hurt is invalid. It’s very valid. I understand. I just wanted to take some time to have people pause and think about some of the pressure and expectations that’s been placed on others unfairly. Sometimes it’s good to take a step back and think.
The reality is that this is an oversaturated platform and great stories are going to fall through the cracks. I’m an avid believer that as fellow writers, we should want to help uplift and encourage these authors when we can. However, it’s important to remember that this shouldn’t be expected or demanded automatically from the authors you admire or authors who appear to be doing better than you. There are so many reasons why somebody may not be doing so: limited time, burnout, they are already doing it and it’s never enough, etc. We just don’t know and it’s better not to make assumptions unless it’s been made clear.

I don’t want any smaller authors seeing this thread and feeling discouraged. I’m just asking people to redirect some of that negative energy into something constructive and positive. Instead of placing the burden and responsibility on others, create pages to boost small stories. Create networks to uplift one another. And don’t give up. There are many authors who started out small and stayed small for a long time, but they slowly were noticed as they updated and networked with other people. Some have taken years to get where they are, but they’re where they are now because they persisted in publishing, made connections, and uplifted one another. And ironically, some of these formerly small authors are the very ones that many people are pulling on and trying to climb over and calling selfish.

3 Likes

I find this an odd expectation as well :thinking: I am a reader, if I am not obligated to read and share works of smaller authors (I do if I find something I really enjoyed), I don’t see why a popular author should do so.

Also authors who have regular update schedules (once every week or 2 weeks) spend all their free time writing, they don’t get time to read even their friend’s story let alone of some author who they don’t even know. A few of my author friends don’t even LIKE to read in general. Not to forget that people have preferences in general when it comes to reading (genre, plots, narration style etc) :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Some stories are also just never going to be popular on Episode. Doesn’t matter how much exposure they get or how many people recommend them.
Doesn’t mean they aren’t good stories, they just don’t resonate with the core Episode audience (I have one such story, it was on a shelf, a lot of big authors recommended it. Most of the readers I picked up from my more popular story haven’t read it either. It is what it is).

If getting a lot of reads is someone’s goal (and I don’t think that’s anything to be ashamed of, despite all the people who say “Just write for yourself!”) the best thing they can do is write a “for Episode” story and update it a lot. Not wait around for someone with a lot of followers to recommend them.
A recommendation from a big author can give you a temporary boost, but it’s nothing compared to the reads you can get by crafting a story that’s geared towards the Episode audience.

4 Likes

This is the realization I came to a few years ago. Episode has geared their platform for certain audiences. Due to that, some genres just won’t have the target audience number present on the platform. And Episode isn’t going to change their approach. Coming to this realization brings a lot of peace and helps you not waste time trying to force something that won’t happen. Speaking from experience. It may just be better to find other means of telling your story, or to just be ok with knowing your story will never be popular.

^^^ I just wanted to boost this piece of insight because I think it reflects the reality of Episode’s platform in terms of how limited a big author’s influence really is.

2 Likes