Explain: why you can not use pinterest or google

That really shouldn’t be a question. Using someone’s copyrighted works without permission is wrong and punishable by law. Not to mention it would ruin your reputation here because people would know that you are a thief and they can flag your story- which would result in it getting taken off the app and potentially resulting in you being banned or suspended from the app entirely.

1 Like

Yes, I know. But I see different people using that shower backround.

They shouldn’t be without permission and just because everyone else is jumping off a bridge doesn’t mean that you should, too. I strongly urge you to find a free or credited version of something similar instead of going along with the growing trend to of stealing peoples’ hard work.

1 Like

Ok, thanks.

And CinnamonToast makes some pretty great looking backgrounds and you can use them without worrying about crediting her. Just make sure that you do not share her backgrounds with anyone else or claim that they’re yours.

2 Likes

Oh and you can check out episodelife.com There’s a huge list of backgrounds and how to credit each person all on the same page. I’m sure you could find a shower background there, too.

1 Like

I always give credit to the artists who helped me with background or overlays. What if I’m going to use the backgrounds and say in a readerMessage: ‘Let me know who made (…) background.’? And if I get names, add that credit to it and update my story?

You’d still be using someone’s art without their permission and there’s a good bet that no one else knows who created it as a lot of users have been banned or left the app. Again, I strongly urge you to take the time to look through the art thread to find a free version or make one yourself.

You can also go to the art thread and post a Who made this? post and include the image- if no one knows precisely- don’t use it.

3 Likes

I will, thank you.

Moved to Episode Fan Community since Community is for discussion of specific stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :wink:

1 Like

I get most of my backgrounds off of here, drives, or google and they have never been denied, all have been approved so if it’s bad to get it from google then why doesn’t episode decline them? I’m able to use the things I get off google and I don’t have any problems so why can’t we? I even get unreleased backgrounds approved to use for my stories. What’s wrong with using it if it’s been approved? Like would you still get In trouble if episode has approved it?

1 Like

your questions is basicly if I steal but didn’t get caught is it still wrong.

episode cant know where everything is if it’s copyrighted or not, they make mistakes, it’s our own job to follow the rules. and respect the rules. the fact you won’t follow them is your problem, it’s you who will might suffer the consequence from it not me.

I’m sorry, what do you mean if I steal? I follow the rules I credit I didn’t say I get copyrighted items. All the items I get off google I go to the website of the photo to credit where I get them from and see if they are free to use. You saying I don’t respect the rules is completely uncalled for and 100% rude. I respect all of episodes rules I was just simply asking a question and that was a rude answer. But please inform me on how I’m stealing if I go to the website from google to make sure they are free to use?

3 Likes

I explain in the original post, its still stealing even with credit, you need permission to use it. unleash its copyright-free. or the artist has written that you can use it with credit.

So using backgrounds and overlays from websites of background makers like Mary D Sava’s Patreon and Joseph Evans website, that say they are free to use with credit is stealing?

1 Like

I think you missed that part

I- nevermind it’s fine :+1:t4:

3 Likes

Using images from Joseph Evan’s or Mary’s patreon pages, and crediting them as asked is completely fine, considering that you have to pay for the access to them in the first place, I am assuming that you’re just following the rules and expectations that they have laid out.

It’s google/Pinterest etc where credit to a site doesn’t warrant the legal license to use the image.

For example, if you were searching for an image of a cottage background, okay, and you found a perfect one on Google, noted the site for credit and submitted it… Episode may approve the image, not knowing that it isn’t legally yours to use (because you have to tick the box that says you are legally allowed to use it, or whatever) so the responsibility is ours as users of episode, to ensure ALL images are available, free for commercial use.

On Google, the images belong to other websites, uploaded by third parties etc, and it’s almost impossible in most cases to be sure that the image is free for commercial use/copyright free etc. That’s why on Google, when you click an image, it comes up with " This image may be subject to Copyright" In that case, without legally binding permission from the person who’s image it is, you are not permitted to use them, even if you credit the source. Using it regardless, leaves you open to having legal action taken against you for breaking copyright law on another person’s property. Episode won’t be the ones in trouble for that, and depending on the severity of your actions, and the person that is taking action against you, the punishment could be severe.

Episode has to approve thousands of images, so I presume they have a general outlook on them, checking for obvious watermarks or if they are unsuitable for the app, but it would be impossible for them to ensure every single one is copyright free, hence it is our responsibility to do so. These things are taken seriously when caught and it’s not worth the risk.

Hope that helps. I strongly recommend switching any Google images that you’ve used but of course it’s up to you if you want to risk it.

4 Likes

Here is the thread to all background creators in the community. If you’re looking to expand your source for backgrounds it is in this thread. Bookmark and keep it

2 Likes