Express you opinion when the mc dies in the end

Hi, so I wanted to know if you would read a story when having the mc killed at the end trying to save her soulmate, Opinions needed :hugs: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

This really depends. Usually people don’t like the MC dying at the end because they feel like it was a waste of their time if the main characters are going to die in the end unless it was coming like if they were battling a life threating disease and died it wouldn’t come as a shock and they had time to process. I personally don’t mind.

8 Likes

I would probably read it BUT maybe let the reader know about the ending ahead not like a spoiler but a warning maybe idk
I had a very bad experience with a story like this I thought the story was supposed to be light hearted but the ending just hit me like a bus
Like no warning at all.

3 Likes

Moved to Share Feedback since this is about story ideas. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

Personally, I wouldn’t read since I get too connected to the mc’s thought process and feelings. I use stories as an escape from reality so it’s not too pleasant to read that the character I know so well emotionally & can relate too has now been murdered/been killed/died (whichever happens) (:

Death in any character can also hit people quite hard like @Suki_writes said, so u have to be very careful doing this since some people would much rather finish the story early than read on to the actual end and find out the mc/li dies in some way (:

Also when reading stories, a lot of readers like the thought of getting a happy ending to the story. I know a lot of times where I have wanted to stop reading a story but I kept reading just because I assumed there’d be some sort of happy ending and I really enjoy reading the happy endings (Idk why, I guess it lightens my mood reading happy endings (:

3 Likes

Why not :wink:? I like non obvious endings, which makes you think about it whole night.

5 Likes

Obviously people are gonna be mad about it, but I personally don’t mind that type of ending. It beats the generic happy-ever-after where it flashes forward years later where the MC is married with kids.

I will say, if this story is in the romance genre, don’t do that type of ending. You can put it in a another genre like drama or something. Romances are supposed to have an ending where the couple is finally together without any more obstacles keeping them apart or it’s not a true romance. At least that’s what I hear from ppl in the book community.

6 Likes

PLS I had to block this person in my dms on insta cuz she kept spamming me about my story being stupid because the ending was the mc dying. She was saying how she was gonna sue me. It’s been two months lmfaaoaooa

8 Likes

Depends on the story.
There was a story I read on Wattpad where the mc died at the end, because she was sick. And personally I don’t like stories where the mc or the li dies. I’m more like the happy ending person :slight_smile:
But if you write a drama or thriller it fits more than a romance story.

4 Likes

First they say you can’t spell then someone gets upset at your ending and threatens to sue. :joy:

4 Likes

pls like bye sorry for being Canadian :raised_hand: :weary:

4 Likes

Actually, even if the MC dies in a romance story I think it’s creative and different. To me, a romance story isn’t about the ending, it’s about the journey. Some things in romance work out, others do not

7 Likes

Maybe you could portend they are dead, and they are actually alive. Or you could give the reader a choice in weather they live or die.

1 Like

I think it’s totally fine. There’s plenty of books and shows where the main character dies at the end, and if it makes sense I say go for it!

3 Likes

I 100% agree. It’s just more abt the genre tho. You can have a story where the main focus is romance, but if the characters have an unhappy ending, it’s best not to label it as one.

Idk the full-length reasoning behind it, but it has something to do with consumer expectation. Call a tragedy a tragedy or a drama a drama. Those type of stories are completely okay. But if you call a tragedy a romance, you’re gonna p*ss a lot of people off.

2 Likes

I would read it because all of the stories these days have happy endings, i just want to read a story where something tragic happens at the end!

3 Likes

I mean I wouldn’t know that the MC died right? So yeah, I would read it, but it would kinda feel like a waste of time

2 Likes

It would be a romantic tragedy then.

2 Likes

I will read it lol!!

3 Likes

DO IT. Be bold, be confident, and kill them if you feel that’s what needs to happen. In one of my favorite shows -

Don't click unless you want spoilers for a show- click to see what show it is

The show is breaking bad

Click to hear spoiler

In this show, the MC dies at the end, it was really worth it because the show was a discovery of the character falling into crime and self pollution. It was amazing, we rooted for him but in the end, his death was justified.

Basically, make it make sense. Don’t make them die in a random fire, but maybe something that says something about their journey- with justification. Maybe with a touch of irony or maybe even a sacrificial type thing- something that supports the narrative you’ve been pushing

Just my opinion!

7 Likes