Express your opinions when the mc and li die in the end based on your choices

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this is about Episode stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

I definitely don’t mind if there’s some heroism in it. I’m currently reading Bite My Tongue by Alphan (one of the best authors) though I kinda know the ending.

Spoiler about Bite My Tongue

The mc dies and the LI rips his heart out for her. They both die. But I know there’s some heroism in the scene and hence I’m reading it. :sneezing_face:

2 Likes

I honestly don’t really care how the story ends but dying together is beautiful :pleading_face:

Only one of us dying is not cute though :feels:

4 Likes

so kinda like Romeo and Juliet :pleading_face::joy:

I’d definitely read a story like that but personally I’d like to see if there’s an option on what would have happened if they both survived and the life afterwards too :thinking: :thinking:–id still read it without this tho:)

3 Likes

Honestly, depends. If it’s a story without choices, like a regular book, then I welcome it. But if it involves choices and all, I’m no longer that interested in it. With the choice aspect leading up to it, it’s basically just a big ol’ “GAME OVER” screen instead of anything else, in my opinion. But in a book, or in a movie or something like that, I think it’s a great tool. In some cases, I much prefer it if it isn’t a plot twist, and instead something the book leads up to from the start. So that you instead invest yourself with how they are handling their final moments instead of just “and suddenly, ded”.

5 Likes

Same

I think if it’s done well, and for good reasons, it can still be a very satisfying ending all the same. I mean, look at the TV show ‘Dark’. The ending was absolutely perfect even though the two main characters (who were also love interests to each other) died in the end.

3 Likes

I actually think it’s very very romantic

1 Like

Originally I think Shakespeare wanted it to be a lesson for people, not something admirable.

2 Likes

But it is a love story, you can’t fight that

2 Likes

I love when stories do the unsuspected, and I really feel like on episode that happens when an author is brave enough to kill their antagonist/protagonists etc

I feel when authors go for the death arc they try and avoid losing the favourites… e.g. imagine if they killed of filch rather than fred or george in harry potter? Everyone hated that guy they wouldnt weep for him theyd probably acknowledge his existance at most then make internet memes about filch kicking the bucket…

Authors however, SHOULD look to where they can kill off the favourites… Even if they have to create a character specifically born to die.

Make it unsuspecting- dont let the reader know to early on that they are destined for demise otherwise they wont get attached

Make the character relatable, loved, the glue that holds your fictional world together
Make scenes full of memories that give that character a personality
And once the readers are hooked on, you let slip a tiny hint towards demise… (this is a literary technique called dramatic irony it adds a lot to a story)

The readers will be hooked onto seeing if they are thinking to much into things and will want assurance that the character will survive…

USE THAT-

Give them some safety as well as some things to fear

say if your character had a prophecy attached to them e.g. (when thirteen sit at a table, the first to rise is the first to die - harry potter)

that prophecy example I used there, came true… thirteen were sitting at the table and sirius got up first, giving the audience who noticed that worry about the prophecy but also some reassurance since the audience was given that prophecy from a side character who was known to be inaccurate with her future telling…

Noone knew for sure what would happen to sirius until it happened, and THATS what made his death so unexpected… some had a gut instinct, some dismissed it due to those reassurances but in the end they ALL wept for sirius…

THAT is the kind of deaths the story needs…

and notice how sirius, a character who died in the end- was still a side character but he wasnt some random that noone really knew?

Whilst I dont condone JK rowling, I will admit that she gave sirius that personality - the escape convict who was supposed to be harry’s protector - the wrongfully inprisoned - the victim of a corrupted system, those persona’s to sirius are what made him so attractable to the readers, what made them weep.

I love when the MC and LI die, It adds interest, nobody expects it… nowadays they see 2 characters and go yes DESTINED LOVERS… but when I see 2 lovers and see the forewarnings of death- Im even more hooked because instead of the overused destined lovers, you get Lovers destined to be, hopefully in their next lives…

Sorry I wrote paragraphs there but YES it is GREAT

To anyone wanting to kill of characters here are some tips on how to do it above ^

Every. Single. Character. who has ever made you weep over their cold, lifeless bodies, has been sculpted by the author to manipulate your emotions, make you attached and vulnerable then rip them away-

Sirius, Fred/George, Lily, Snape, Dumbledore (sorry Im using a lot of harry potter references but its the one book almost the 2/3 the population would know) think deep down to the saddests deaths you’ve read, what was in common with them all?

Sirius - Died protecting harry out of love, Was thought to be a deatheater (villains)
Lily - Died protecting harry out of love
Snape - Was thought to be the villain, Died protecting harry out of love for his mother
Fred/George - Died protecting his twin out of love, Died protecting hogwarts the place they loved most to share
Dumbledore - this one is a little different because whilst he didnt die for love , he was realistic for a lot of broken homes (raising harry to believe he was loved whilst he was young, turned out to be a manipulator in the end aka the raising harry to use him as a weapon against voldemort)

6 Likes

Wow. Thank you so much for the tip and I’m crying rn (again) remembering the characters who gave up their lives for Harry. You are 1000% right when you say the entire Harry Potter fandom cried when the characters who they’d become so attached to (because of their personalities and the cause for which they died) died.

THRONE OF GLASS SERIES SPOILER ALERT!

Another example is the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas where the first death is of a character named Nehemia Ytger who died in order to save the world and for the MC (Aelin Galathynius). Her death made me weep for hours. I still can’t believe I had got so attached to a character in such a short time. Maybe the hours she spent with Aelin and their memories are to blame.

Once again thank you for the advice!
P.S.: Fred was the Weasley twin who died and George lost one of his ears. :))

2 Likes

No problem with the tip! I’ve done Advanced English since I was little in upper class private schools for the majority of my life so I know a lot when it comes to literary techniques and writing.

But yes, dramatic irony is the technique of giving your readers information that they characters do not yet know…

It makes them want to keep reading hoping the character will figure it out before something major happens.

If you want to know any other literary techniques I could probably look into my old exercise books to see what I can find. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think I’ll very much need your help because I’m just starting my first story and English is not my native language. I’ll PM you when I need help, if you’re okay with it…

2 Likes

Of course I’m okay with it! :smiley: If I don’t respond it’s probably because i’m at work or classes but I’ll always be sure to reply when I can and help out! <3

2 Likes

Bump!

I was reading the fourth book of that series but I haven’t read it in forever.

1 Like

You mean The Queen of Shadows? That’s where things get really interesting. The next book, Empire of Storms is reaaaaaallllyyyy good. I couldn’t put the book down :rofl: . But in Tower of Dawn the first part is in Chaol’s POV and initially it’s super boring :expressionless: . I’m currently stuck at that book only.

1 Like

Why? I literally cry too hard when a character dies :sob::joy::joy:

2 Likes

i personally, for some reason, like sad endings and the whole concept of different endings based on the choices you made throughout the story. plus i feel like for readers that like happy endings, getting a sad one would be a motivation to replay the story and view and get their happy one. so definitely go for it!:butterfly:

3 Likes