Fading Character

community

Hello,
I’ve been trying to make my character disappear for the last 3 hours! I’ve made a couple of overlays that are the same as my background, but I can never get them to work! This is what I have so far…

EXT. ROYAL BALLROOM TERRACE - NIGHT with INT.BLUE NIGHT (my overlay)

EXT. ROYAL BALLROOM TERRACE - NIGHT with INT.BLUE NIGHT at layer 2
&CARTER moves to layer 1 and MAY moves to layer 3
@overlay FLOWER opacity 0.5 in 0

I would like my character to be talking about how she loves her soulmate, but he isn’t there, so I thought I could potentially come up with them kissing, but he fades, because he isn’t there!
If you have any ideas please let me know! :grinning:

Try getting an overlay of what zone they are in (EX: if they are in zone 1, get an overlay of only zone 1 as you don’t want it to take up too much space, than have May at a higher layer than the faded overlay, and Carter at a lower layer than it. EX:

EXT. ROYAL BALLROOM TERRACE - NIGHT with BALLROOM TERRACE (the overlay) to layer 1
&overlay BALLROOM TERRACE opacity 0% in 0
&MAY spot 1.000 000 000 in zone 1 at layer 2 AND MAY is kiss_passionate_loop_rear
&CARTER spot 1.000 000 000 in zone 1 at layer 0 AND CARTER is kiss_passionate_loop
@pause for a beat
@overlay BALLROOM TERRACE opacity 100% in 5

Thank you so much for all of your help! I’ve put these things into my script, but it says that there’s an error! I took 2 snapshots so that you could see them as well!
:grinning:

Problem

Error

is INT. BLUE NIGHT an overlay? If so, I recommend changing the name as I think the Portal recognizes it as a background.

I changed it, but it came up with the same error! Do you have any recommendations? If not, that’s totally okay too!

Pro

OHHHHHH, change the “to layer 1” to “at layer 1”, my bad.

Thank you so much!!! It worked! I also had another question! How can I make a overlay for that particular background? It seems that when I save the exact same picture from the catalog, it’s too big for it being an overlay! Thank you again!:smile:

Yes, I recommend saving just 1 zone of the picture of a time.
EX: Have an overlay for just zone 1, then one for zone 2, and zone 3 as separate overlays.
I ran into that problem once before as well.

Okay! Thank you!

take off the %

write: &overlay BLUE NIGHT opacity 0 in 0
in line 24
Unless it’s already fixed.

I have gone ahead and moved this topic to the Directing Help & Tips section of the forums. @May_17 please take some time to review our forum tutorial which helps explain where to correctly create topics on the forums. Thanks!