Fading characters background help!

I’ve seen this really cool effect where you can made characters “fade”, or disappear into nothingness. I saw Dara Amarie’s thread on how to do this, and I understand how it works, but I just don’t know what she means by “creating a new overlay”. Can it be any overlay, or does it have to match the background I’m currently using? In my scene, I want all the background characters to fade out at once, leaving only the two main characters left standing. It makes sense how you have to put the overlay in between the main characters and background characters, and then fade out the overlay, but I have no idea how to make this overlay! Any help would be amazing. Thank you!

1 Like

yea me neither i dnot know what she means either

You create an overlay of that same background you want your characters to fade in

Basically convert that file into a PNG and follow the same steps in the tutorial

1 Like

? dou have an example? im confused also

1 Like

I do! Give me a second!

2 Likes
Example

11%20AM
Here’s the background I want to use

I converted my original background into a PNG and then uploaded it into an overlay

My starting script is like this

When you want to start the “fading” process you change the overlay opacity
39%20AM
Like this^^^

2 Likes

Okay. How do I do that? Is there a way to download it right from episode?

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Thank you so much! How do I covert my background into a png? I am using an episode background, I believe it’s the castle ballroom in zone 3.

1 Like

I personally use Pixlr for all my background/overlay use, save your background to your desktop then upload it into Pixlr, click save but turn the “JPEG” to “PNG”

1 Like

Okay thank you! It’s the Int castle ballroom night background in zone 3 I’ll try doing this, hopefully it will work!

1 Like

Feel free to ask any other questions! (:

1 Like

Thank you so much again for all the help! I’m going to try this when I get home, I’ll let you know if it works!

1 Like

No problem and good luck!

1 Like

I just wanted to take a second to thank you. your instructions were so clear and helpful, and I got it to work! I was able to achieve the effect I wanted EXACTLY as I imagined it in my head. Thank you again for taking the time to help me, I truly appreciate it!

1 Like

Glad it worked out the way you wanted & not a problem at all! :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.