Fading Out Black

I’m trying to make the camera fade to black as a character’s talking… is that possible? This doesn’t seem to work:
&zoom on YOU to 300% in 2
YOU (idle_lay_groggy_eyesclosed_loop)
Blah, blah, blah…
@transition fade out black in 2.4

1 Like

Add your fading transition BEFORE the dialogue and use the & sign :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You could try adding a hsl filter in a number of seconds that simulates a black fade using ampersand (&) before the dialogue, another plus to that is the hsl filter will stay dark until you code otherwise. It won’t revert back as soon as the seconds are up like a normal transition would. You could use a black overlay to cover the scene if you wanted to as well using the & and the seconds, and just adjust the opacity to create a fade. Actual transitions can only use the @ symbol and I can’t see it happening without the reader having to tap through the dialogue first or the transition being over before the dialogue happens (if you switch them round). :confused:

1 Like

You can’t really make a scene trasition while a dialogue is in progress, but you can make it happen by using overlays.
Make an overlay of the speechbubble you want that to happen and put it there. Your script must look like:

&zoom on YOU to 300% in 2
&overlay YOUROVERLAYNAME opacity 1 and CHARACTERNAME does it while animation
@transition fade out 2.4

(When you want the transition to be black, you don’t need to write the color. It’ll automatically be black.)
Remember to place the overlay at the correct spot and write it on your script before writing that!

2 Likes

Thank you, I actually tried that first!

1 Like

Thank you so much! It was a bit more extra work than I expected but it worked out perfectly, thank you so much!

2 Likes

No problem! Glad I could help❤️

1 Like

Moved to Directing Help and Tips since this is about coding. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about creating topics, and feel free to PM me if you’ve got questions. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.