Fanfiction on Episode

havent there just come out a movie with this plot

So the same 5 lines thing is still a thing for lyrics ?

I’m not sure what that has to do with fanfiction but yes, I do believe you can write about stories with pregnancy.

If you’re unsure, you can submit a ticket asking: https://episodesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=114094007673

Also Episode will be going in depth and explaining stuff in more detail, this post will be of interest to you: We're Expanding Episode Explained!

1 Like

Thats a nice info

Hi mariaz26,

Yes, using names of popular characters like Barbie or Dora would be against copyright. Common names like ‘Harry’ would not be unless the character’s last name was Potter or incorporated other story elements.

Happy writing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

bump :eyes:

2 Likes

This is a bit unrelated but can I use Big Mac and Happy Meals as food MacDonalds doesn’t own the rights to these so it must be fine right???

1 Like

Hi there!

I looked into Big Mac’s copyright and it looks like it only lost it in the EU. Episode is an american company, so we go by the copyright laws here. Therefore, you wouldn’t be able to use those terms in your story.

Happy writing :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hello! I have a question! Can I publish a story that is a readaptation from a Brazilian fanfic? Because I wanted to share it with girls that don’t speak portuguese. I’ll give the credits to the author and all that. And also I’m have the author’s official permission and I can prove it! Like, she actually loved the idea and really wants me to do it! The story is hers, and she wants me to publish it here!

Hi Giugiu,

Unfortunately, for reasons mentioned in my original post you won’t be able to do this.

Okay! The author actually wanted me to do it, but since it can not be done, I want you guys to delete the story, please!

Well I mean guys, if you really wanna write a “fanfic” style story, just make up a bunch of fake celebrities or TV shows or such. Or even make up a hot boyband :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

Happy writing :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

If you want Episode to remove your story, file a ticket and let them know. They will remove it for violating guidelines.

1 Like

Thank you very much, luv!

What about being inspired by certain characters but changing them enough that they are essentially original? Like, if you like aspects of a character from a show/movie/book and kind of use some things to resemble them but they aren’t that character at all? I do that a lot with stories but the new character is so far removed from the actual real character that it’s basically original fiction.

1 Like

That’s something that will need to be review in a case by case basis. Things like characterization, plot, and setting will be meticulously reviewed. The difference would be, if it’s not outright removable, a reviewer will help make the story more distinct. :slight_smile:

For instance there are celebrities that inspire me (or fictional characters) obviously I know better than to use real names or whatever. I also wouldn’t entirely steal a plot (because that’s rude). But, for instance, I have written a story called Birthright (it’s like a full length finished story). It borrows elements from other stories but doesn’t outright steal. The plot is basically a girl is sold to a wealthy man to have his children. Which borrows from about three different books that exist without actually stealing. All of the characters are original, I don’t take any of the plot points from any of the other books, and everything that happens is new and different. However if say, someone has read The Handmaid’s Tale they might think “Oh this is a lot like that” without it also being completely stolen because different setting/characters/timeline/events. So I mean something like that?

As I previously stated, that would be dealt with on a case by case basis and I cannot make an encompassing answer :slight_smile:

@tyler can I use sherlock Holmes.

I am not using him as chratere, just a mention a few times in my story, I wanna write about this imortal person, who live in mordern day now, who knew sherlock(Yes I know Sherlock arent real)

I looked it up and sherlock Holmes the first 50 stories are public domane, but not all.

That’s totally fine, as long as you only incorporate elements from the original Sherlock Holmes and not any of the modern TV or film adaptations.

4 Likes