Fanfiction on Episode

Aw, bummer.
I thought episode would be amazing for a dbd type thing. I still kinda wanna write it tough;(
Where exactly do you cross the line btw? If I write a story with the same plot as dbd exactly but swap the characters out, or if an author changes the character a little bit? Is that still considered copyright?

I dont want to break the rules but I have my eyes set on a dbd story ;-;

How do I deal with this?

Having the exact same plot as another thing is not only breaking the rules here but is considered plagiarism in the writing world in general because you’re swapping out the characters with your own but still having someone else’s work being the overall foundation of your story without attribution. This is why fanfic is a thing - a place where you can use other people’s work and write your own stories within their created universes whilst acknowledging the source material. But that’s also why they don’t allow fanfiction here because its stories are set in someone else’s world or based on them, a world and property to which they have no right to republish on their platform. So I guess you can write a DBD story, but on fanfic sites where its purpose is for exactly what you want to do, and not on episode :slight_smile: hope that helps!

1 Like

:slight_smile: Mhm

:slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t understand how episode can say fan fiction is not allowed yet, they had a Dirty Dancing contest, they have a story about Mean Girls, Demi Lovato and Pretty Little Liars, I don’t write fan fiction, but isn’t this kind of hypocritical of Episode to do?

1 Like

They buy the rights when they do that. They can’t buy the rights for fan fiction others want to write.

3 Likes

In all of those cases we had a partnership that involved legal contracts etc… with the studios that owned the rights to them.

4 Likes

thanks for this info

1 Like

So say for example you use a name for a character in your story and unbeknownst to you it ends up being a celebrity name- would it still be against the rules even though it wasn’t intentional? There’s thousands if not more people writting stories on Episode and billions of people on this planet a lot of those being celebs of some sort so the odds are pretty good that eventually someone will end up using someone’s name unintentionally. While i’ve been writting in my spare time ever since I was a kid and I love doing it I haven’t written on Episode before and for the longest time i’ve been thinking about it but it was always really daunting because of how hard I hear it is to make one on Episode but sadly the daunting I felt before just quadrupled after learning how many rules there are :anguished:

I have a question. Say you use a name that someone famous has, is that considered to be against the guildlines. For example, there is a very famous celebrity named Jungkook, however there are also possibly hundreds of people in Korea with that same name. If my story has nothing to do with Jungkook (the famous person) at all and just the name, is it still against guildlines for using his name?

I think it’s okay as long as that character isn’t Jeon Jung-kook. You can use any other name with it but you cannot use “Jeon” and “Jungkook” together.

3 Likes

So if you name a story a name of a show/movie that you might not know, that would be consider fanfiction?

no, there is so many stories, movies books, called the same,

though it do depends, calling it Harry Potter, is a no go

calling it Lies, is fine.

2 Likes

Is Legacies alright?

1 Like

yeah, thats a word you can easy call it that, though if its a story about vampires, then it properly isnt okay anymore.

1 Like

Okay thanks!

1 Like

Lol I saw one about Miraculous Ladybug :skull: people should really read the guidelines

2 Likes

Why do that when they can complain when their story is taken down instead. :relieved:

1 Like