FEATURE: Go Back to certain Point in Time

Was this already suggested?

There’s a suggestion: Read again chapter
This suggestion is similar, but not the same.

Let’s say the reader is in chapter 6. But he forgot something important or needs to remember something- he needs to go back to certain point in time. Timepoints could also enable taking different way in story, read missing branches and maybe something important there.

Now we have labels, but those labels could be within timepoint.

Chapter 6
Zack lost his girlfriend because he was rather partying with her friends than spending time with his girlfriend. Reader has no idea that if this story continues, Zack will meet another girl in next chapter. Instead, reader has an option to choose:
choice
“Let her go” {
continue
} “Try fixing the beginning” {
enter timezone
jumpto first
}

Chapter 2
Story before…
timepoint first
Zack is facing first important decision.
choice
“Go out with friends” {
if (enter timezone is “first”) {
timepoint out
goto party
} else {
goto party
}
} “Stay with girlfriend” {
if (enter timezone “first”) {
timepoint in
goto home
} else {
goto home
}
}
Now story goes on separate branch. In chapter 3 Zack is facing same decision again.
choice
“Go out with friends” {
timepoint out
goto home
} else {
goto party
}
} “Stay with girlfriend” {
timepoint in
goto home
} else {
goto home
}
}

So when coming back to chapter 6 where jumping to timepoint began, there’s something else… I didn’t wrote it before intentionally…
if (timepoint “first” is in) {
BELLA
I’d never leave you.
} else {
BELLA
Sorry, Zack, I have it enough. I’m leaving you.
choice
“Let her go” {
continue
} “Try fixing the beginning” {
enter timezone
jumpto first
}
}

Am I understandable? :smiley:

8 Likes

Hello @CoraMae, this is Sydney the Moderator.

This topic sounds like it would fit better under Writer’s Portal rather than Art + Animations. :wink:

I don’t know @Sydney_H Are you sure?
This is similar as gains and goto … with this difference, that jumping to certain time point means in other chapter.

Hmmm :thinking:

I sorted my suggestions in a list, and this one doesn’t seem to have anything with writing portal :smiley:

My suggestions

Hello @CoraMae!

You have a good point. I checked out your list and this feature doesn’t quite seem to fit anywhere. I initially thought Writer’s Portal because it sounds like a coding/scripting feature, On the other hand, it could also be something that would be added to the Mobile App.

I’m going to think about this for a while and get back to you on it. :wink:

1 Like

Hello @CoraMae, thanks for being so patient! :smiley:

I’ve discussed it with the other Forum staff and we’ve decided it fits best in Writer’s Portal. The reason is that the ability to go back in time to certain points would be done in the scripting, so the ability to create this option would be in the Writer’s Portal.

I’m glad we got this figured out. Let me know if you have any other questions :wink:

1 Like

Oh :weary:

1 Like

Support! I really need this so I wont have to do flashbacks in a chapter it would be a really easy way and would take lesser time to code it!

But I have an idea that is similar to this suggestion:
Rather than coding what would happen we could use the script numbers

(The one in the grey part)

We could do this:
"Try fixing the beginning” {
enter timezone
jumpto first chapter
scriptnumber 500-600
}

500 is where the timezone would start and 600 is where the timezone would end

1 Like

Yeah it could work like that :smiley: