FEATURE: Mature stories for 18+ for mature readers

That’s what I suggest. To note in there system the age of every readers, after that they could hide mature stories from underaged readers.

I think it’s very unfair to judge a whole community on a poll of a tiny amount of people, all who clearly follow the same person on Instagram. I mean, for one, there is usually a reason why people follow the same person on Instagram.

5 Likes

I fixed my suggestion slightly, so I hope I make myself more understandable.

If we talk about mature stories - truth is, who wants them, can find them everywhere. Also on Episode - if Episode team skips them, because those kind of stories are usually banned. But mature stories get many reads! So that obviously means, that there are lots of readers here, which want to find those kind of stories on shelves.

Episode recently updated the App - stating it’s for 12+. But 12+ don’t bring money to Episode - mature readers do! So I highly doubt that Episode programmers and engineers can’t make mature stories available for those who are mature enough- based on age of the reader.

In my opinion 12-18 years old readers are not the majority here, because Episode is made for all readers age - almost! They just need to allow publishing mature stories.

2 Likes

I disagree. Episode get as revenue from everyone who reads a story on the app. There are many 12+ year olds who religiously read stories on the app and sit through the ads. That gives Episode a lot of money.

Also, because the forums are mainly populated by older users, it doesn’t mean the app is. Even the forums have a lot of 13-14 year olds. It’s really difficult to make such assumptions without actually having facts and statistics on the ages of people who use the app.

4 Likes

So here’s my opinion, I do not think it is fair for 18+ people to pay to read content in this free app that comes close to their taste, I am 18+ and I wouldn’t pay a cent to do so.
However, even if I do believe this is never ever going to happen because episode itself consider it’s app as a 13+ and does not seem flexible to change that in any way, there would be a way to verify us for free.

As you may or may not know, since last year (not sure the date) to play some kind or adult games (sex involved) you have to enter your credit card details even tho you won’t pay anything, just so that people who are underage and don’t have one cannot enter that kind of games.

Now one may say “they can steal their parents’ credit cards” well yes, but that is no one else fault but them, they are the ones committing a “crime”, and they would be able to do so anyway to pay 2$ or whatever.

That’s my opinion :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I meant more like optional - To make some featured Mature stories and to make them payable. But that’s not my suggestion in this thread. I’m suggesting to make mature Users stories allowed but readable only for mature readers. And users stories are free.

how will you enforce this, make sure only mature readers are reading them ?

That shouldn’t be hard for Episode programmers to make.

but how would they differenciate normal users from of age users ?

I agree with @CoraMae :slight_smile: I’m 24 and wouldn’t mind paying, maybe not a monthly thing though? Maybe, per story? But, I do understand it’s a 13+ app and I’m guessing most of the readers are around that age group, they could always give us an option to enter in our birth date before we read a story or something… Then again even having 18+ content on the app will make it unsuitable for any age under so I have no idea how it’ll work :frowning:

1 Like

that’s new information, i honestly had no idea that people above 18 used this app! i think a way to restrict stories would be to enter in a credit card number- not to charge money, just to prove that the reader’s old enough to own one. yeah, kids could just steal their parent’s credit card but honestly? there’s gonna be a loophole for every solution there is. i feel like 18 plus stories wouldn’t do so hot on the app itself though. episode tends to get really cheesy any time they try to make something sexy (see: it starts with a bra) oof, shudder.

1 Like

What some people don’t realise, I think, is that forcing people to pay too much for an app with stories that aren’t guaranteed to be good quality is more likely to turn people off the app than do any good.

It’s the same thing that happened to the newest iPhone: they charged too much and sales for the year went down.

Charging extra is often detrimental to a business… especially one like Episode where the stories may or may not be good. Why would anyone, 18+ or not, want to pay extra for stories when they don’t know the quality?

1 Like

Here’s not a point on paying anything.

The point of my suggestion is to Episode allow mature stories by users :woman_facepalming:t4:

3 Likes

Greetings,
You must be living under a rock if you haven’t seen the massive uproar in the episode community about the new featured story.

I thought this would a great time to reach out to the community and present an idea about the guidelines and so on.

Here is an organized list of my thoughts. Continue the thread with some of your ideas and thoughts.

Age Appropriate Content

A huge amount of stories are getting removed left and right for sexual content. This includes Sex scenes, sexual implication, and sexual narration. So on.

Personally, as an adult, I don’t think anything’s wrong with it. Of course it breaks the guidelines however. People express their creativity in certain ways or at times they feel scenes are necessary when portraying a character, their emotion, or their overall build.

So I have an idea!

Look at old YouTube for example, when you signed up you were asked to give your birthdate to confirm your age. If you were a minor you were denied permission to watch age restricted content.

what if…
Episode implemented this. To see certain stories you’d have to have an account in which you enter your date of birth. If you’re old enough, you can see certain stories and read them. And if that’s too complex, maybe add an option when they first open the app after installing to put in their birthdate. Or, before they read a story an option can pop up, “Are you 18 years or older?”.

Therefore, it’s their discretion. If a minor lies about their age, that’s not episode or the writers problem. The option is like a contract of sorts. So nobody will get in trouble.

And episode could always add an adult shelf or something? I don’t know but I really like the whole age restricted option. I think writers and readers will really enjoy this.

Thoughts?

That’s my idea!

I realize that some of you might think stories don’t need sexual content to successfully portray itself. And I understand. But that’s for the writers to decide. You don’t know their plans for the story and what they feel is necessary for them to express their ideas. Sex scenes can be more than just naughty steam filled scenes to get you excited. I mean, here I am; defending it and I’m Asexual! Lol.

Please leave any ideas you have or opinions on my idea.

Also, let’s hope episode can see this and consider our opinions.

Thanks!

13 Likes

Oof. They closed my thread and moved it to an older one.
GREAT

2 Likes

I completely agree! There are ways to restrict content by age! We now have 3 ways to login: with google, Facebook or email.
Other apps and programs linked to them limit their contect by age, that means Episode can do it too.

2 Likes

As much as I do agree with you on this, (being a 24 year old I would personally love to see a more mature section of the app). But you have to understand making an app there’s guidelines and rules you have to follow.

https://help.apple.com/app-store-connect/#/dev269f11291

Correct me if I’m wrong, if you add content that is 18+ then your app will become an 18+ app. I understand there are features nowadays to sign in and enter your DOB but Episodes main audience is 13+, young teen. As much as I agree with you I don’t see this happening in the foreseeable future. :frowning:

xo

1 Like

Mature stories would/should be hidden from those under 18.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand. If you’re under 18 and sign in and still not see the content, your app is still going to be treated as an 18+ because there’s technically still content on there that’s 18+. I don’t think there’s a way around it tbh :thinking: x

1 Like

Episode must make the restricted stories for those under 18. They won’t be able to read, not a way.