FEATURE: Shelf for MALE authors and or stories with male MC's

Say it louder! :mega:

4 Likes

Being able to write amazing characters from minority groups you’re not a part of is a skill. You have to have a great level of empathy and understanding, plus a real sensitivity to tropes in the media. You get held to a higher level of criticism because people from the minority group can get away with saying “well this is my experience” when someone criticises the tropes or stereotypes. Why are we not celebrating the authors who take the leap to represent communities other than their own and do it well?

2 Likes

Rather then people apart of the community and don’t write about their culture or heritage at all. Totally agree. It should be either Author and Mc being apart of the community or just the Mc.

1 Like

Exactly! And people of that minority group are more likely to write about it well so more authors from that group will be featured, but there will be space for other authors who tried to represent another community.

1 Like

Support :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I’m also not sure if there are enough Male authors to do this

3 Likes

Support!

1 Like
This pic pretty much represents my opinion on this shelf suggestion

3 Likes

Absolutely support!

1 Like

Tbh…I think stories should be featured because they’re well written, not just because the author has a penis.

6 Likes

I like all the opinions… wish we could have started a thread specifically to discuss the topic. Unfortunately, this thread is likely to get cut now because its turned into a discussion and debate rather than an actual “vote” I would have shown support.

2 Likes

I can get behind that i would like to see a male POV in these comics. Yes personally i am a girl but i don’t mind playing as a guy. I want to understand men better. lol

1 Like

bump :eyes:

1 Like

I feel like the same thing could be said about shelves about different races and such also, though. Just because someone is a certain race or from a certain culture doesn’t mean they deserve to be featured, either.

Though - you did say:

I am completely against the celebrating men authors/Asian/Black/Italian etc. authors.

So you might have similar feelings about that as well (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, though).

On another note - I do support! As long as the stories are well-written and deserve to be on the shelf, of course.

Or, maybe a shelf with male main characters? I can’t remember if there was one before, but it would be nice to see it again.

5 Likes

That does sound like a good option. As many people have stated, it’s about the story not the author I may not fully agree but I do agree to some extent. So if not a shelf for male authors, maybe a shelf for all authors that have a male mc that also isn’t a choose your gender story would be better? I don’t think I’ve seen a shelf with this theme but maybe there already has been

6 Likes

There has been~ It was awesome.

4 Likes

Oh yeahh I remember this shelf haha
Well they should definitely do it again

5 Likes

I think there was two, if I remember correctly :thinking:

2 Likes

Was there?!?!? I can’t find a post about it :frowning: Was it before they starting posting shelves on their Insta?

1 Like