FIFA World Cup 2018 Discussion ⚽

Time to have my eyes mostly closed :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Russia defienetly wasn’t going let that opportunity slip away from their hands after that
penalty kick from that handball was given, no doubt about it… We’re now in the much dreaded penalty kicks. Didn’t want it, but oh well lol. Both of these teams won their penalty shootouts when Croatia faced Denmark and Russia faced Spain in the Round of 16. This is going to be so tedious and fast… ah man, I can’t believe it hahaha.

I can’t imagine what’s going through the minds of the players participating in the penalty shootout, especially the goalkeepers. Everyone is depending on you and one miss or mistake and it could all be over. Must be stressful as hell.

The results should be VERY interesting now…

2 Likes

Yeah, typing does take my eyes off the TV. :joy:

1 Like

I think Russia takes activators or Energy Drinks or whatever they drink in order to not tire often… :croatia: :croatia:

I skipped a heartbeat during Modric’s penalty kick… that was VERY closely missed, but he got it in.

2 Likes

Official - it’s England v Croatia :grin:

4 Likes

Sigh, I wanted Russia to win :frowning: congrats to Croatia though! :clap:

3 Likes

Ok, now that I’ve SORT OF recovered, I can finally celebrate. It’ll be an extra fun game for the two of us @PerplexedJam :smiley:

2 Likes

I don’t get it, our guys look like they’ve been through hell, Russian players have barely broken out a sweat :smiley:

1 Like

Haha, true. :joy:

Tbh, I’m aiming for England this time. :+1:

The semi-finals are just a few hours away. But a recap if anyone missed the last game of Russia vs Croatia:

What a game Russia vs Croatia was in the quarter-finals. It had everything people love about this sport. It was a such a good game in my opinion. Personally, I enjoyed it more than England vs Sweden, to be honest. I felt that Croatia and Russia had some great chemistry playing against each other and had more energy. Cheryshev’s goal was my favorite one in this game.

Croatia won via penalties but Russia 3-4… but I have to give credit where it’s due. I was rooting for Croatia, yeah, but I must give mad props to Russia. Almost no one including myself expected Russia to get as far as they did; not even the quarter-finals to the very least. They proved everyone wrong; when someone or a group of people goes out of their way to work as hard as they can and get as far as they can, even with a majority of people having uncertainty about them? I can respect that. I hope to see them again in the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

With that out of the way… we have one hell of a semi-final. A few hours away from France vs Belgium. Winner faces the winner of England vs Croatia tomorrow…

I still predicct that the final will be France vs Croatia… but now that Belgium and England are in the mix things could get interesting. I just realized that if France and Croatia win their matches… we’d Belgium vs England again. While still cool, we’ve already seen the match in the group stage. Personally, I think I would probably want fresh like Belgium vs Croatia in the finals instead, and France vs England in the 3rd place match or vice versa. I can’t even root for a single team here lol, so I am rooting for them all. Best of luck to the teams.

Some possibilities for the final are pretty cool…

France vs Croatia
France vs England
Belgium vs England
Belgium vs Croatia

This is going to be a week full of action and surprises…

This is the last week of the World Cup… Semi-Finals today and tomorrow, Third-Place Match on Saturday, and then the Finals, on Sunday… I always get a little emotional during the last week, especially the finals. So fun. I guess it’s because it’s almost over and it’s just been so much fun of course right? lol. The World Cup comes every 4 years, and each time it does we always see something special in these games. Nevertheless, this is gonna be a fun week… may the best teams win!

France vs Belgium is officially underway… starting right now. These two semi-final games are two games that I wouldn’t want to miss to be honest… France and Belgium, two European giants in this World Cup who have played extraordinarily well… Belgium has some tough defense, even more than Uruguay had, but France is a very organized team. These two teams should have some immense chemistry and fun playing style, and the fact that many of the players on each team play together in clubs also makes this more interesting. You got great players on both teams, like Lukaku, De Bruynne, Mbappe, Pavard, Pogba, and so forth… so many names. Two amazingly constructed teams who play like a team. One opportunity to get into the finals. This is gonna be a treat to watch.

France Vs Belgium! Oh wow, how I am happy! England and Croatia are amazing teams so the next game (THE FINALS!) it will be a tough game. I hope I can sew another star on my France jersey!

1 Like

The goal that sent France into the finals:

I thought France vs Belgium was a highly entertaining game. France beat Belgium 1-0 to secure a spot for their team in the finals this Sunday which is so awesome… it was well-earned by France. I don’t know what in the world Belgium was doing. They under-performed this time. They didn’t play like anything we’ve seen in their previous games, which was fairly odd for a team like them. Why wouldn’t you go all out in the semi-final? lol. I expected way more out of them. They did give France a challenge, but it was nothing new that France hasn’t already dealt with in the past. There were opportunities, but France was a better team. I am very disappointed in Belgium as they had potential, but what we got is what we got. Lots of absence in the Belgian defense. I’m not sad that they lost, I actually wanted France to win anyway but I’m just sad that they didn’t work the way they should have. France was better, but Belgium didn’t bring out their better side. One of the, if not, the closest games that I’ve seen in this World Cup. Very fun.

France faces the winner of England vs Croatia tomorrow which should be another fun game. Consistency while adapting your style to work against your opponents seems to be the formula here…

2 Likes

I called France vs Croatia in the finals a little while ago… but to be honest, now that I think about it, I think France vs England seems to have slightly more of a possibility than France vs Croatia if this is something to go by… I say this because Croatia has shown to get a little complacent in their recent games against Russia and Denmark, only to make a needed comeback to save their spot. This strategy most likely won’t work against a team like England because they’re gonna be taking it right to you.

England has had consistently strong defense and tactical moments throughout the knockout stages.

If Croatia brings everything they have tomorrow and stays consistent and adapts to work around England, I wouldn’t say they’d give England a run for their money because this England team is still very good. But they’d even the playing field with a team like them giving them a chance to advance to the final game as well. Consistency, adaptation, and attitude are crucial for the two teams tomorrow, especially for Croatia, honestly. Croatia is still my pick, but I hope Croatia learned from today’s game and I hope they don’t repeat the same mistake Belgium did today. Same with England.

England lost, but they will be going against Belgium for 3rd place.

Congratulations to Croatia, it was a well deserved win. :clap:

Next will be Croatia vs France, I think France will win.

2 Likes

Heh… I guess for England, it’s not coming home… at least for this year… But you know? I feel a little bad for them, honestly. The patriotism and love they showed for their team to win, coming this far in the tournament, only for them to crash out of the semis must be one of the worst things a fan can feel. It’s like how Brazil fans felt in 2014 in that semi-final game of Germany vs Brazil (7-1).

Anyway, I don’t know how this played out as I did not watch the game today since I was busy today. I’m sure it was their usual comeback they’ve been doing. When I checked the results and I was very pleased to know that Croatia won… they were my pick to win this game, and to be in the finals with France for a while now. It feels like there are some fresh faces in the finals this time. I heard it was a great match, I’ll be going back to watch what I missed it on tape delay. I’m very interested to see how the game went and how Croatia turned it around since England got the first goal… I’ll give my thoughts about it afterward.

1 Like

I’m not that big of a soccer fan, I’m honestly really dumb at it lol. You’ll probably analyze it way better than I can.

Ah come on lol. Don’t be so hard on yourself! :smiley: I like soccer/football a lot because it’s a sport that’s universally loved by a vast majority of people… it’s also a sport that is simplified, and not too complex, such as American football for example. I know many people including myself talk about the goals a lot, but the real beauty of soccer is the dynamics of the players - the flow and pacing of the game. It’s kinda like badminton in a way. Simple, yet relaxing flow. In my opinion, I think the most simple sports the most awesome ones in my opinion… And even if you know nothing about it, that’s totally okay! Soccer is pretty easy to learn once you get the basics down if you want to learn about it. And also, anyone (even those who don’t like sports) can easily get behind something as exciting as this. The sport brings people together in a way that I don’t know how to explain it lol. My brother for example didn’t even take interest in soccer or knew anything about it, until we watched some World Cup matches since 2014 and in this one too and he’s been hooked lol. Anyways, I didn’t mean for this to turn into a paragraph lmao. I tend to get carried away when talking about this stuff and get lost in the topic. xd

1 Like